CG3 Shade Thrown at Tech Students

It's not hard.... They said exactly what was in the minds & mouths of the large contingency of fans who wanted to move away from Paul Johnson's brand. They promised that we'd be a destination school, own Atlanta, play "big boy" football, and stand up and punch the factories in the mouth. We just needed to recruit & rebrand and the first step was a historic rebuild where the record for the first 2 years wouldn't count.
The entire football world knew it was a rebuild. Collins just made things worse than they had to be.

Right but my point is that a kid (and his family and coaches) who met and had presumably in-depth conversations with many of the top coaches in the country fell for Collins nonsense so I am not sure how I was supposed to know that the guy was a complete fraud.
Because you're smarter than a 17 year old kid?

And who got Choice to coach at GT?

You can’t say it was 100% obvious that Collins was a joke or going to be a bust from day one. There was plenty of evidence to the contrary for awhile.
No. There was NO evidence to the contrary. There were just the suckers and fools who always fall for con men.

Agree. You need to connect GT to ATL and the Atlanta culture to bring in the best players and win games. That’s why I think someone like Deion would be successful here.

Of course you also have to win games while doing the above.

I think you have to sell them on what you have to offer. It's usually some combo of the prestige of the school's academics, a 4 year scholly (like what dodd wanted), nil money, culture, the program's ability to develop for the NFL, the program's ability to win games, tv exposure, etc.

Deion hits high on culture and tv exposure but what happens when he leaves? Does it all go with him or stay at the school? Ask Jackson state who is on its way to being forgotten except that they stole money from their coach. As a player, does the culture & tv exposure transfer to you or stay on your coach? Are the cameras going to turn to the starting QB (not named sanders) when theyre done listening to prime?

The entire football world knew it was a rebuild. Collins just made things worse than they had to be.

Eh... Parts were being rebuilt. The defense collapsed under a "defensive guru" that replaced a coach who supposedly didn't care about defense.

We wanted to play like a factory but didn't want to pay anywhere close to what they pay. It was a fools errand from the beginning.

Eh... Parts were being rebuilt. The defense collapsed under a "defensive guru" that replaced a coach who supposedly didn't care about defense.

We wanted to play like a factory but didn't want to pay anywhere close to what they pay. It was a fools errand from the beginning.
To be fair, he could of taken over Bama in 2019 and probably still found a losing season by 2023.

Who said anything about the state of the rebuild? It doesn’t refute that it was

1) necessary
2) Collins made it worse than it has to be

Stop moving goalposts to start your little ööööfit sideways arguments

The whole "greatest rebuild in college football history" statement was the biggest indication to me that he was an arrogant phony. I'm sure there were some who, as hard as it is to believe, took that as gospel as well. Yeah, because the 1971 Marshall team rebuild after the 1970 team's plane crashed into a hillside killing everyone was nothing compared to what Georgia Tech had to face coming off an option based offense, thank God though we have Geoff Collins as our lord and savior.

What a stupid thing to say, but now with the body of work I'll say that it was effective in one regard - to give him cover and buy him more time for him to obscure his ultimate failure which points to the one absolute truth we learned about Collins, and what is still on display to this day that he is a narcissistic prick whose motivations are always 100% motivated by his own self interests above all else.

I do maintain that GT football needed a fresh coat of paint, a new pitch and a media goodwill tour. I just assumed he was a competent defensive coach at the very least.

The whole "greatest rebuild in college football history" statement was the biggest indication to me that he was an arrogant phony. I'm sure there were some who, as hard as it is to believe, took that as gospel as well. Yeah, because the 1971 Marshall team rebuild after the 1970 team's plane crashed into a hillside killing everyone was nothing compared to what Georgia Tech had to face coming off an option based offense, thank God though we have Geoff Collins as our lord and savior.

What a stupid thing to say, but now with the body of work I'll say that it was effective in one regard - to give him cover and buy him more time for him to obscure his ultimate failure which points to the one absolute truth we learned about Collins, and what is still on display to this day that he is a narcissistic prick whose motivations are always 100% motivated by his own self interests above all else.
That was his cover for losing to the Citadel. He tossed his team under the bus. Indicating they were no good and needed a rebuild.

We knew the narcissist stuff when he left before. He took credit for the 2007 recruiting class when Giff Smith was recruiting coordinator. TFG had a hand in it, sure, he was player personnel, but it wasn’t just him by any stretch.

I was of no mind to give clown a pass for the covid season. Everybody had to deal with it. Plus, we were coming off some really embarrassing losses the year before. any good will - and there wasn't much - had been exhausted by the Citadel, Temple, VPI and the beatdown from Georgia.

While MBob certainly did next to nothing for the football program, we had a chance to have a couple of beers with TStan one night in the GT Hotel bar. He'd at least come over there every so often after games. He didn't know us from Adam's house cat, but he said PJ was a "ööööing mad scientist" with the offense and the locker room and players area were a "ööööing disgrace" and was pretty blunt about how that negatively affected recruits' perception of the program

all that aside, the ridiculous contract and clown's utter, abysmal failure as a coach sealed his fate, too.

I was of no mind to give clown a pass for the covid season. Everybody had to deal with it. Plus, we were coming off some really embarrassing losses the year before. any good will - and there wasn't much - had been exhausted by the Citadel, Temple, VPI and the beatdown from Georgia.

While MBob certainly did next to nothing for the football program, we had a chance to have a couple of beers with TStan one night in the GT Hotel bar. He'd at least come over there every so often after games. He didn't know us from Adam's house cat, but he said PJ was a "ööööing mad scientist" with the offense and the locker room and players area were a "ööööing disgrace" and was pretty blunt about how that negatively affected recruits' perception of the program

all that aside, the ridiculous contract and clown's utter, abysmal failure as a coach sealed his fate, too.
Well, it certainly wasn't CPJ's fault the locker room and players' area were a disgrace. TStan should have done something about it immediately

@QuadF sorry, wanted to nip it in the bud. I went a little cutthroat based on how these discussions usually go.

I appreciate the apology but I wasn't moving any goal posts. We can cut out a discussion of whether we needed to rebuild the offensive side of the house (and even disagree), but what I said I still stand by 100% for why we failed and why so many fans were duped.

I'm curious about why you perceived the defense and special teams as a necessary rebuild. But I admit that is a bit tangential so if that's a direction you want to avoid feel free to ignore the question.

Well, it certainly wasn't CPJ's fault the locker room and players' area were a disgrace. TStan should have done something about it immediately
Yes, indeed, and CPJ was most animated when speaking of the imbalances in those areas, yet he never got funds to do anything about it. Still, he won 21 games those last 3 seasons (2016-18) against 16 losses. Then TFG comes in and rips off 10 wins in 3.5 seasons "due to the rebuild," even with his super incredible recruiting and gets fired. Then ICBK steps up and wins 4 of the last 8 games, including 2 ranked opponents.

What about all that doesn't line up?

The whole "greatest rebuild in college football history" statement was the biggest indication to me that he was an arrogant phony. I'm sure there were some who, as hard as it is to believe, took that as gospel as well.
When I heard it, I figured he was already hanging around Pastner. It was the AA mantra back than.

Back