Chip Long - New OC

Hard to say we hit a home run with limited experience, but impossible to say we didn’t get an upgrade. I support this hire and consider it moving in the right direction. Now let’s see what happens with the hires on the other side of the ball.
Limited experience? He has 16 years experience and 5 years OC experience. 14 of his years were at P5 programs and 3 of those were as OC.

I'd rather us focus on a 2back set since that's where our strength has been. Our TEs have been a weak point, so why emphasize it.
But have they been a weak point because of poor coaching, not being utilized, or lack of skill?

Looks like 5 of Tulane's losses were by one score. If they win those, they would be bowling.
Kinda like Georgia Tech after the UVA loss we found ourselves 3-4 with 3 games coming up that I believed was crucial to the Collins regime. Two games were at home. The three opponents were a combined 10-11 overall and 2-7 in conference play. Win all three and we avoid a losing season and likely go to a bowl. Win 2 and I think most will be patient in the offseason. Lose two and 4-8 simply cannot be sold as evidence we are headed in the right direction. The pressure on next season becomes immense. Lose all three and nine wins in three seasons will make for an intolerable offseason.

Looks like the OC will fit right in with the Circus that Collins has brought to the FLATS!

Last edited:
Limited experience? He has 16 years experience and 5 years OC experience. 14 of his years were at P5 programs and 3 of those were as OC.

As an OC I do think he’s had limited experience, to the point that’s it’s hard to judge he’s success and impact accurately. I’m sure he’s been around football all his life but I’m interested in his experience within the position we are hiring him to fill. He’s still young in the seat IMO.

He ran the offense for a national brand team that went undefeated in the regular season and made the CFB playoff. Period, hard stop. That’s enough of a resume by itself to feel good about him being an upgrade over what we had prior. People are wanting to pick nits because he was at Tulane this past season, but he can absolutely be successful here.

He ran the offense for a national brand team that went undefeated in the regular season and made the CFB playoff. Period, hard stop. That’s enough of a resume by itself to feel good about him being an upgrade over what we had prior. People are wanting to pick nits because he was at Tulane this past season, but he can absolutely be successful here.
Not exactly the highest of bars. Few if any are arguing that he isn't an upgrade. It's a question of how much.

Underwhelming hire. Usually not a good sign when you are bouncing around with brief stints everywhere and your current school's fans are glad to see you go. He'll be gone in a year when the entire staff minus Choice is given the boot after another 3-win season.
Lane Kiffin has bounced around. Coaching ain't like most jobs. Short stints are pretty normal, for good reasons, for bad reasons, and for no particular reason.

My primary concern is 'too little too late.' It ain't easy to make major changes in just a few months, when your assistants all have deeper loyalty to your boss than to you, when your players were selected and trained by someone incompetent, etc.

TOP 12 to replace Geoff Collins:

1. Jamey Chadwell, age 44, Currently the head football coach at Coastal Carolina (They are 9-2 this year) Annual salary: $850,000. Despite his young age, he has been a head coach in college for 12 seasons (at 4 different schools). Total Head Coaching Record: 88-44.

2. Shawn Clark, age 46, Currently the head football coach at Appalachian State (They are currently 9-2 this year) Annual salary: N/A. He has only been a head coach for 2 full seasons and coached App. State in a bowl game in '19, which they won. Total Head Coaching Record:19-5

3. Chris Klieman, age 54, Currently the head football coach at Kansas State (They are currently 7-4) Annual salary: $3.1 Million. He won 4 National Titles at North Dakota State. Total Head Coaching Record: 91-28.

4. Kalen DeBoer, age 47, Currently the head football coach at Fresno State (They are currently 8-3) Annual salary: $N/A. He coached Sioux Falls to 3 NAIA Championships. Total Head Coaching Record: 78-9

5. Billy Napier, age 42, Currently the head football coach at Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns (They are currently 10-1) Annual salary: N/A. He coached at Clemson, under Dabo, for several years. He grew up in Chatsworth, GA and his father was a head football coach. Total Head Coaching Record: 38-12

6. Hugh Freeze, age 52, Currently the head football coach at Liberty (They are currently 7-4) Annual salary: 3 Million. The drawback to him is he was involved in recruiting violations while at Ole Miss. Total Head Coaching Record: 67-42.

7. Dave Doeren, age 50, Currently the head football coach at NC. State (They are currently 8-3) Annual salary: 3.2 Million. Total Head Coaching Record: 86-53

8. Jeff Traylor, age 53, Currently the head coach at UTSA (They are currently 11-0) Annual salary: N/A. He only has two years of head coaching experience, however. Total Head Coaching Record: 18-5

9. Dave Clawson, age 54, Currently the head football coach at Wake Forest (They are currently 9-2) Annual salary: 2.1 Million. Total Head Coaching Record: 139-126

10. Luke Fickell, age 48, Currently the head football coach at Cincinnati (They are currently 11-0) Annual salary: 3.4 Million. Total Head Coaching Record: 52-21. Of all of these on the list, Coach Fickell would be my top choice for Tech to hire. However, he would be the most difficult to agree to come to Tech, too. Schools like LSU would have more money and appeal to lure him. Nevertheless, it could be possible.

11. Jeff Monken, age 54, Currently the head football coach at Army. Annual Salary: $932,521 in 2016. Was a top CPJ Asst during the early years at GT. Monken’s name has been mentioned in openings the past two years at Kansas, South Carolina, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, Boston College and Missouri. Total Head Coaching Record:94-58

12. Ken Niumatalol, age 56, Currently the head football coach at Navy. Annual Salary: 2.1Million. Emerged as strong candidate for Arizona job in 2020. Total Head Coaching Record: 103-75
Wow that's some daydreaming there. How many of those would view GT as a "great opportunity"? Luke Fickell can write his own ticket.

Underwhelming hire. Usually not a good sign when you are bouncing around with brief stints everywhere and your current school's fans are glad to see you go. He'll be gone in a year when the entire staff minus Choice is given the boot after another 3-win season.

Usually they fire the head coach and hire a new head coach who fires everyone except graduate assistants and brings in his own guys. Choice isn’t guaranteed a job if what you say happens, because new coaches don’t keep people for fans having sentimental reasons. That’s like saying I trust you to make all the decisions regarding this job except I’m going to pick one or two guys that I like and you can’t fire them.

But have they been a weak point because of poor coaching, not being utilized, or lack of skill?
We've had good players regress under the current regime. We fired several coaches including the oc. I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

As an OC I do think he’s had limited experience, to the point that’s it’s hard to judge he’s success and impact accurately. I’m sure he’s been around football all his life but I’m interested in his experience within the position we are hiring him to fill. He’s still young in the seat IMO.
Maybe we needed an experienced OC like Goober? Oh yeah, we fired that dumbass. Had a lot of experience but none of it was any good. He just added to his long, unspectacular resume at GT and now he can go fail somewhere else.

Last edited:
Back