Chip Long - New OC

My primary concern is 'too little too late.' It ain't easy to make major changes in just a few months, when your assistants all have deeper loyalty to your boss than to you, when your players were selected and trained by someone incompetent, etc.

I don’t think xCDP was incompetent. I think he was getting beat by guys who were better at the P5 level. Guys better at game planning and adjustments. Guys who were better at predicting playcalls based on personnel and formation. Guys who were better at figuring on signals and tendencies. I don’t think he was doing a bad job coaching fundamentals. Both Yates and Sims were ready to play despite being fairly green.

Defense was another matter. There were problems through and through.

Maybe we needed an experienced OC like Goober? Oh yeah, we fired that dumbass. Had a lot of experience but none of it was any good. He just added to his long, unspectacular resume at GT and now he can go fail somewhere else.

Read my original post #226. I was pretty clear.

Maybe we made our move too soon?

The Carolina Panthers just fired Joe Brady that helped LSU win a CFP Title 2 yrs ago.

I wonder would a guy like that be in our Budget?

Chip Long, with guys like Joe Brady floating around, we must have come in with a low-ball offer
So you think he can scream our OLine & TEs into playing better?

Why didn't his hard ass methods help Tulane avoid being 2-10 last season?

The kind of crap that gullible saps like you fall for and confuse with good coaching is comical.

You want coaches that are cast by Movie directors, not real coaches that Teach and get the max from their Players.
Words of wisdom from the all knowing football analyst God. Do you have a monthly newsletter you publish? We could use the annals of Information to help guide us through everyday football life as well as the other half of us who need good info to better our bet-game. Im so glad you are so
That seems rather unethical. Very Miami.
This true. Yes, very Miami

Most here are pre-judging Long based on 1) fired from ND although no one here knows what was happening behind the scenes that precipitated that. 2) He just came from Tulane which had a worse record than we did. None of that is necessarily relevant. Criteria for this job are 1) Have his offenses scored a lot of points? and 2) can he recruit? What I’ve read is yes to both of those. ‘Looks good to me.

Whether GT wins at least half their games next year will be more dependent on defensive improvement than offensive. We‘ve got some talented players in the secondary but they sure didn’t play like it particularly the second half of last season. If they can simply become a competent unit, we’ll be just fine.

I don’t think xCDP was incompetent. I think he was getting beat by guys who were better at the P5 level. Guys better at game planning and adjustments. Guys who were better at predicting playcalls based on personnel and formation. Guys who were better at figuring on signals and tendencies. I don’t think he was doing a bad job coaching fundamentals. Both Yates and Sims were ready to play despite being fairly green.

Defense was another matter. There were problems through and through.
I don’t need to quibble about what incompetence means. Getting beat by all your peers is pretty close to mine though.

I don’t need to quibble about what incompetence means. Getting beat by all your peers is pretty close to mine though.
Oh my, are we to believe incompetent does not mean getting your ass creamed by damn near every half assed crap show team we faced and completely embarrassed by tough team, it means worse than that? I hate to think the level Goober would have needed to sink to be declared incompetent. Lose to K St and Citadel in the same season?

A lot of people think Collins is going to take over the D himself. If we hear about replacements for Popovich and Burton first, that will look like a pretty likely scenario.
I just don’t see how else Thacker is retained (if demoted) if a new DC is gonna come in and get told he has to keep him? It would be almost unavoidable for Thacker slipping back into his old role creating conflict with a new DC. The ONLY way that works is if Collins takes over the D

Well, there is incompetent coaching where you simply cannot teach proper technique. There is also incompetent where the basic play design is bad. Since we didn’t have either of those, I think a new OC should pick up pretty well.

Most here are pre-judging Long based on 1) fired from ND although no one here knows what was happening behind the scenes that precipitated that. 2) He just came from Tulane which had a worse record than we did. None of that is necessarily relevant. Criteria for this job are 1) Have his offenses scored a lot of points? and 2) can he recruit? What I’ve read is yes to both of those. ‘Looks good to me.

Whether GT wins at least half their games next year will be more dependent on defensive improvement than offensive. We‘ve got some talented players in the secondary but they sure didn’t play like it particularly the second half of last season. If they can simply become a competent unit, we’ll be just fine.

Fired from previous job, and ööööty performance at most recent job have no relevance?

Do you hire people often?

Inside info or just Debbie downing? He was on staff when HB was at Tennessee. Just as an analyst, but I figure it could help some.

maybe, but if Harrison has better opportunities, he will take them. I guess that is debbie downing - most GT grads call it experienced realism.

Back