College Game Is Dying/How do we save it [RIP NCAA Catchall Thread]

OK. What percentage of players in the portal were forced to transfer in your mind?
Per Mike Farrell 60-65% of players who are in Portal purgatory with nowhere to go, and no scholarship for school were processed by coaches. Does that have any impact on your opinion?

People need to stop blaming players only for the current state of the Portal.

Absolutely. I don’t give a öööö about that. Don’t like it? Don’t play. Pay for your own school.

JRjr
And were you upset when GOL took the $$$ and ran to ND breaking the contract he agreed on with GT? My guess is a resounding, yes. So don’t act like SA’s are the only ones who break their deal and go elsewhere. Coaches do it all the time with no real consequences.

Also, while I think paying for school with the new collectives, etc is valid in theory, it will never happen. There will always be other schools who will provide SA’s with both scholarships and collectives.

You want to fix it? Get rid of the so called fake 4 year scholarships SA’s sign out of HS (which are renewed annually btw) and have binding contracts for 1,2,3 or even 4 years between the SA and school. If the SA signs the contract and tries to leave early, the SA owes the school whatever the remaining value of the contract is. If this type of deal was in place, do you think the OL who left for Bama in January for Iowa would be on his way back to Bama already? Simple answer, no. No way he would want to pay the NIL collective back. Same for Ewers when he left tOSU for Texas, and Moore leaving UCLA for Oregon after 1 year.

So in the salary cap era, are there walk ons? And how do the have nots relate to the haves in that situation?
Walk on’s are what they are, walk on’s for a reason. These aren’t greyshirt players waiting on a ship’. If they ever earn a ship or sign their own NIL deal, good on the SA.

Some of you act like the rules don’t apply to everyone. As people have stated in this thread, the same 10 teams will remain where they are. Real question is, do programs with a LOT of $$$ just joining the P4 like SMU pass other programs by? I’d say they are an example of a program who can now significantly make a jump being in the ACC with all the oil $$$ they have coming into the program. Good for SMU in this case.

The big schools and power conferences could not stand the thought of money they did not control. So, the collectives quickly emerged and now we have a mess. It is a virtual play to play system and combined with easy transfer rules things are chaotic. But, the Big 10 and SEC and Georgias and Alabamas prefer this because they know their collectives will be the deepest.

If we split along these lines I would be happy for Georgia Tech to be in the no collectives group, no matter who is with us. Thinking that we are going to do well in a pay for play system alongside the Ohio States, Bamas, Georgias, Penn States, Michigans and Texases is foolish. I would much rather give my money to the AT Fund to support scholarships for all of our athletes and hope some of them do well with their NIL income than give to a collective that Kirby and the Dawgs will laugh at because of its relatively small size.
#1 is simply not true. Nick Saban retired due to what is going on right now. So it’s not as simple as you think for the “factories” just to adapt to the current state of CFB. And despite what you may think, Bama and uga’s NIL collective's reportedly are not even close to Texas, TAMU, tOSU, Michigan, Oregon, etc.

#2 will eventually have regulations with a “cap” per se that everyone will have to follow. As it stands now, Neuheisel mentioned while at the Peach Bowl Classic that a few coaches told him how much their starting 22 were making, and none of them were under 6 figures. He ended it with “it’s not who you would think either.”

The House vs NCAA was something coaches down at Reynolds wanted to get resolved sooner rather than later, so the next steps to stabilize the sport over the next 2 years could come to fruition. We can only hope contracts holding both parties accountable for agreed upon performance are put in place. I bet you when this happens, you won’t see as much movement, and contracts overall will have lower payouts.

Not sure how you feel going off into some other type of league would be beneficial to GT, but by doing so even the outdated ACC contractual payment would drop in half or more per year. How would GT be able to survive in that case? Do you really think a league made up of GT, Vandy, NW, Stanford, UVA, BC, etc would draw a TV partner with a reasonable payout? I doubt it.

GT makes enough $$$ to figure out how to survive in the new age of CFB, CBB.

I agree Saban retired because of the mess we have created. However, the very first week after the NIL ruling Saban was calling for what we now call a collective. He preferred money into a pot distributed equally to what was his worst nightmare - some Bama alum/fan pitching a fit because he has spent millions on a QB that is not starting.

And were you upset when GOL took the $$$ and ran to ND breaking the contract he agreed on with GT? My guess is a resounding, yes. So don’t act like SA’s are the only ones who break their deal and go elsewhere. Coaches do it all the time with no real consequences.

Nope. I was bummed that he left but it had nothing at all to do with contracts. That’s what buyouts are for, I suppose. I haven’t said anything about anybody “breaking their deal,” you’re ranting at a straw man.

JRjr

Nope. I was bummed that he left but it had nothing at all to do with contracts. That’s what buyouts are for, I suppose. I haven’t said anything about anybody “breaking their deal,” you’re ranting at a straw man.

JRjr
I’m ranting at a straw man? You’re upset that the mythical amateurism of CFB / CBB is officially no more. Get your head out of the sand and realize that both sports haven’t been about the school or education for 50 years. No school is going to be able to take away the full ride aspect of scholarships and be competitive, because 99% of the other schools will give things as is.

Absolutely. I don’t give a öööö about that. Don’t like it? Don’t play. Pay for your own school.

JRjr

Simple answer. You don’t give an ish about the reality of CFB, then simply don’t watch. Go find a new hobby in the fall.

DUT.jpeg

I’m ranting at a straw man? You’re upset that the mythical amateurism of CFB / CBB is officially no more. Get your head out of the sand and realize that both sports haven’t been about the school or education for 50 years. No school is going to be able to take away the full ride aspect of scholarships and be competitive, because 99% of the other schools will give things as is.

Simple answer. You don’t give an ish about the reality of CFB, then simply don’t watch. Go find a new hobby in the fall.

I’m not sure who the öööö you think you’re responding to, but it isn’t me.

JRjr

The doom and gloomers aren’t seeing what is actually happening. They are simply projecting what they think will happen - ie. all the studs playing on a handful of teams.

What they don’t realize is that has been happening already and the truth is Saban got out because he saw that it would be impossible to hoard the talent like he had been use too when kids were stuck for 4 years or had to sit a year. Many of you are looking at the money side only and completely discounting the playing time side. Raiola left UGA, not because of money, but because he would have to sit behind Beck. He went to Nebraska so he could play. Now, could UGA offer him millions next year to transfer back. Sure, but they’ve been operating that way long before NIL. And could Tech land Gunner Stockton to replace King? Sure. It’s all about playing time. Very few will get drafted to sit on the bench while collecting NIL money.

Simply put, Georgia Tech has the portal and good recruiting to thank for having the most talent on their roster in years. Without the portal we would be a well below .500 team. I love this era of college football because for the first time in my 54 years my team can now go after the same players as everyone else and if we miss we can go after them again a few months later. That we kept Singleton tells me the sky is not falling. Our WR Corp is simply better than what UGA has and they are the #1 team in the country. If NIL was so bad for GT we would have lost Singleton, Rutherford, Blackburn, King, Haynes, Efford, and our kicker.

Said that on here about 4 months ago.
Standards in HS will go away for the best athletes, especially in crappy districts (if isn't already happening).
As a young man I can confirm we are WELL beyond that point. It is a sad thing to watch happen live in person.

If NIL was so bad for GT we would have lost Singleton, Rutherford, Blackburn, King, Haynes, Efford, and our kicker.
If NIL was so bad for GT we would've lost most of our best DL in the past few years. Oh wait, we did.

Also just lost our second best basketball player to NIL. He didn't transfer to a deep team like Auburn for the playing time.

It seems to me like NIL has helped at positions where there are a lot of extra players out there without PT (QB, RB, etc.) but hurt us at positions of scarcity like DL.

If NIL was so bad for GT we would've lost most of our best DL in the past few years. Oh wait, we did.

Also just lost our second best basketball player to NIL. He didn't transfer to a deep team like Auburn for the playing time.

It seems to me like NIL has helped at positions where there are a lot of extra players out there without PT (QB, RB, etc.) but hurt us at positions of scarcity like DL.
This is exactly what I’m talking about. We lost our DL’s because we didn’t pay up. That’s on us. We could have kept them all. We kept Biggers and many others didn’t we? And our 2nd best basketball player? That’s hilarious. And of all players, he should have taken the NIL because after this season no one will pay him to ever play basketball again so he made the smart move. Auburn is just wasting dollars on that one and I am glad Stoudamire knew better.

But none of this matters because the portal is here to stay. I like it and will watch my team. Some of you can choose not to. It won’t affect the team or sport if a few people who have been watching a corrupt sport for decades decide to not watch the new version of a corrupt sport.

I don’t think Miles Kelly leaving was 100% a NIL situation

So nobody thinks college football will just reset to the D3 model for the non-50 who will become the pro minor league?

So sky screaming about things that won’t happen is your worry? Some of you are just over the top with your doom and gloom.

The world is not ending and neither will college sports. If you don’t want to watch or attend then don’t. But to act like the world is imploding because of changes in payment systems is laughable.
Telling the very people the lifeblood of your sport depends to go pound sand is a fascinating economic decision.

So you’re OK with coaches and schools making millions of dollars, while players get nothing? Come on.
The players don't get nothing, they get a degree, housing, food, top notch medical care, development, networking, etc. The money is made off the names of the schools, not the star players. People pay to watch Alabama play more than they pay to watch Milroe play. I believe you could move all the current 4-5 stars into a NFL minor league, and populate CFB with 3-stars and below and viewership would stay the same.

The players don't get nothing, they get a degree, housing, food, top notch medical care, development, networking, etc. The money is made off the names of the schools, not the star players. People pay to watch Alabama play more than they pay to watch Milroe play. I believe you could move all the current 4-5 stars into a NFL minor league, and populate CFB with 3-stars and below and viewership would stay the same.
I have endorsed this for years. But the NFL would hate it. It would cost them a decent amount of money to do it. In most countries, professional sports works this way

Again, this is a false narrative. The scholarships are NOT binding for 4 years. They are renewed annually, and despite what you want to believe, SA’s are processed and left with no scholarship. The 2,000 players remaining in the Portal is evidence of that.

Roughly 60-65% of the players currently in the Portal with no home are not in the Portal because they are looking for greener pastures.

The roughly 1-2% that get the HL’s when leaving already have a “home” before officially placing their name in the Portal.

Also, if you really think a “brand” means more than a star athlete at 98% of the schools, I don’t know what to tell you. GT had the “brand” for hoops under Bobby C and Hewitt, like Bama did under numerous coaches and most recently Saban. When programs struggle or are just the average P4 school, that “brand” is not bringing in the $$$. Texas, tOSU, Michigan, Oregon, USC, PSU, Alabama, etc are the exceptions to the rule.

Back