Combine Talk ft. Stephen Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to say, but I believe after watching us for four years that CPJ relies on the superiority of his system to get guys open, and may not be able to teach QBs how to properly get the ball to the open guy.

The system is superior. My question has always been whether we can spend enough time in practice to implement the whole thing seamlessly.

Do you have an opinion on that ibee?

I'm just worried what led CPJ to his success will be his demise. Football is evolving on all levels, and I just see him resisting the changes.

I'm just worried what led CPJ to his success will be his demise. Football is evolving on all levels, and I just see him resisting the changes.

He evolved for the bowl game. I don't know if those formations will stick, but it happened.

I would love to see us hit a home-run for an offensive skill coach.

Dude, don't feed the troll. Being a pipeline for 1st round WRs (3 in the last 5-6 years) is an obvious boon to recruiting. If I'm a skilled WR, CPJ can point to Thomas and Hill as representative of how our program can develop a player.

The problem with ibeedroolings argument is that it entirely ignores that it is OUR weightroom and strength and conditioning program that mostly got Hill and Thomas to where they were at the combine. Obviously they had some post school workouts as well, but if it were that easy to be a first round pick in the NFL Thomas and Hill would not have been first rounders.

Speed work is not part S&C regimen and you are completely missing the point

Im looking from the aspect that we had now 2 receivers DT 6'3 235lbs with a great season, Hill 6'4 215 with a solid season that were both projected 3-4 rds until they had their workouts. Maybe I'm looking too much into but if I'm a WR with similar skill set to these 2 coming out of HS I would definitely go to a school where my skills groomed and polished. Not a knock on my great school, but it is what is at this point

It is also possible (though unlikely i guess) that they are projected so low because the people who make the projections assume that receivers from our offense would be inferior to receivers from other offenses perhaps?

Hrmm, maybe.

How many 1st and 2nd rounders has Ok State had since 2008?

Since 08 we're tied for 1 (2 expected this draft). Thomas was taken before Bryant, which was unexpected (and perhaps unwarranted at the time). Blackmon should go before Hill, who might end up in the 2nd round. Either way it's close.

My favorite play was The Stephen Hill Reverse..

I've been saying that the last 3 years. You can look it up.

How did y'all feel when you heard he ran a 4.3? Honestly, I was pissed off. Pissed off because we didn't milk our golden cow for all he was worth. We didn't use him enough AT ALL. Whenever we ran the reverse with him, the worst it would ever net would be a paltry 12 yards. Most times it went for 25+.

On the flip side, this is great publicity for us Georgia Tech fans and we should all be happy for Hill. l no longer think it was a bad decision for him to leave early.

How did y'all feel when you heard he ran a 4.3? Honestly, I was pissed off. Pissed off because we didn't milk our golden cow for all he was worth. We didn't use him enough AT ALL. Whenever we ran the reverse with him, the worst it would ever net would be a paltry 12 yards. Most times it went for 25+.

On the flip side, this is great publicity for us Georgia Tech fans and we should all be happy for Hill. l no longer think it was a bad decision for him to leave early.

Hindsight is 20/20

I hear you.
He evolved for the bowl game. I don't know if those formations will stick, but it happened.
^^this. I don't know if they'll stick either, but we'll see. His progeny at GSU and Navy are mixing things up, and he stays in contact with them, so there's certainly room for hope.

I do think he's stubborn, but I think he hates losing more than he hates changing.

His targets may have feel when he started dropping the ball. Two years ago, he had a mental issue and couldn't catch anything, even when he was wide open. This year, his best plays were on crazy, almost unplayable passes where he made a sick athletic play; but then he would drop the ball when he was wide open.

He's got great upside because the stuff he's lacking right now is very teachable, and he's a smart dude (at least, it seems he is). He's got the speed, the size, and the blocking ability; he's got to develop his route running and concentration. When he's focused 100% on football (no school), it would not surprise me to see him get better in these aspects.

As to all of this system talk, our system does make it hard for WR's to learn complicated route assignments, but that doesn't mean they can't do it. Maybe a guy with a 6 Wonderlic couldn't but we also have a bunch of smart guys on the team.

Our system is what it is; it gives our entire team a better chance of winning, I think. People always want to run down this offense, but our defense is the real problem.

Both DT and Hill were very raw early in their careers, and both improved tremendously each year. I don't understand the whole argument that CPJ and the staff did not develop these guys. If a player improves each year, that should obviously be attributed, at least partially, to the staff.

Some of you guys have very short memories.

Stephen's biggest issue at Tech was his hands. 2010 was a pretty bad year for him when it came down to him actually catching the ball thrown to him. Then he bounced back with some great catches in 2011 as well as a couple of memorable misses wide open.

Some of you guys are talking like our "system" or CPJ prevented him from running fast. Stop being retarts.

First off, happy that Hill is doing. No one here should be surprised. We all knew his physical abilities are second to none in this draft.

As far as our passing game not being better, I think we will be significantly better in the next two years. We are just now bringing in the type of QB that can be the dual threat we need. All this positive love for guys from our offense will pay HUGE on the recruiting trail.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Official times are out. Hill ties for first along with Chris Owusu (Stanford) and Travis Benjamin (Miami) with a 4.36.

Stephen's biggest issue at Tech was his hands. 2010 was a pretty bad year for him when it came down to him actually catching the ball thrown to him. Then he bounced back with some great catches in 2011 as well as a couple of memorable misses wide open.

Some of you guys are talking like our "system" or CPJ prevented him from running fast. Stop being retarts.

Agreed, although I didn't really think he was all that fast, running a 4.30 40 is very impressive.

I have also heard that he is doing quite well catching the ball there. This leads me to believe that he either really improved since the end of the season or that he was never really the right kind of receiver for our offense. He might end up being a rhythm receiver.

Let me explain. In our offense, you get thrown to only a couple of times a game and those catches are usually of the big play kind. This requires a WR that can make the best of his opportunities even if he is cold and catch the ball in the clutch. Stephen, on the other hand, looks to be the kind of WR that needs to be thrown to quite a bit so that he is able to get warmed up and in a rhythm with the QB. This is all a guess though, but I think you could see him breakout in the NFL if he really is a rhythm receiver where he will get a chance to be in that kind of an offense.

Stephen Hill has the longest broad jump with 11' 1". Behind him is Owusu with 10' 9".

Edit: His vert was 39.5, tying him for fourth. First place was 43.5, followed by 41 and 40.5. Kashif Moore (UConn), Jerrell Jackson (Mizzou), Owusu.

The true potential of the option offense will be opened up when the pass completion percentage increases. The Jackets need a quarterback who can throw and a receiver who can catch.
How this is not obvious to everyone complaining about our passing game is not obvious.

I agree and I think he would have undoubtably improved even more this year (i.e. not having balls hit him in the facemask). He didn't even redshirt so it seems reasonable to cut him a little slack.

Anyhow, I think rational fans are glad he is doing well in the combine, at least from a program standpoint.

Thomas could rip a players head off catching a ball. Hill never seemed to have that kind of strength, but he was still a good player for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back