Combine Talk ft. Stephen Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic news for Stephen and GT. I think Hill's game is much better suited to a pro-style offense. He needs to get in a rhythm and get his touches. He will be great if he holds on to the ball, but from what I remember he was always a great receiver in practices here too...

If he had a great throwing QB, he would have been very special at GT....

It is a shame that we will never see Vad to Hill....

That would have been somethin' to behold I believe.

If he had a great throwing QB, he would have been very special at GT....

It is a shame that we will never see Vad to Hill....

That would have been somethin' to behold I believe.

That's the main reason why Hill wanted Vad to play this past year. Apparently he was rooting hard for him to play as a true frosh because he is such a better passer than Tevin.

That's the main reason why Hill wanted Vad to play this past year. Apparently he was rooting hard for him to play as a true frosh because he is such a better passer than Tevin.

Well, I'm a PJ fan, but if next year is painful for Vad because receivers can't break free, then he will rue the day that he didn't bite the bullet with Vad last year...oh well....Go Jackets!!

Perfect thread for S. Hill: It has a nice balance between incredible fail, incredible win, and blame CPJ.

1) Hill, like any WR in our offense, suffered from not having many balls thrown his way
2) Hill, like any WR in our offense, plays the game unselfishly and can block
3) JN and TW at times threw the ball poorly when throwing to him
4) Hill still managed to make great catches on some of the poorly thrown balls
5) He also managed, given the few passes thrown his way, to drop/miss quite a few catchable balls
7) hiis stats in running the ball were not as advertised previously in this thread

That being said, it's crazy to suggest that any success Hill has had in the combine and might have in the draft doesn't reflect, in part, to GT. There have been a lot of higher ranked WRs coming out of high school than BayBay and Stephen Hill. For them to be able to come out as juniors speaks very highly of their preparation at Tech.

Well, I'm a PJ fan, but if next year is painful for Vad because receivers can't break free, then he will rue the day that he didn't bite the bullet with Vad last year...oh well....Go Jackets!!

Assuming Vad starts next year.

Perfect thread for S. Hill: It has a nice balance between incredible fail, incredible win, and blame CPJ.

1) Hill, like any WR in our offense, suffered from not having many balls thrown his way
5) He also managed, given the few passes thrown his way, to drop/miss quite a few catchable balls
7) hiis stats in running the ball were not as advertised previously in this thread

That being said, it's crazy to suggest that any success Hill has had in the combine and might have in the draft doesn't reflect, in part, to GT. There have been a lot of higher ranked WRs coming out of high school than BayBay and Stephen Hill. For them to be able to come out as juniors speaks very highly of their preparation at Tech.

I believe that this is an absolutely 100% insightful and perfectly spot on characterization....kudos AE 87...:bowdown:

agreed

for bay-bay redshirt junior though

Starting Vad last year wouldn't do anything for the problem you're suggesting we may have this year. Heck, Hill wasn't exactly the best at breaking free. Not much to be gained in the long run for the hope of a one year thrill.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Im looking from the aspect that we had now 2 receivers DT 6'3 235lbs with a great season, Hill 6'4 215 with a solid season that were both projected 3-4 rds until they had their workouts. Maybe I'm looking too much into but if I'm a WR with similar skill set to these 2 coming out of HS I would definitely go to a school where my skills groomed and polished. Not a knock on my great school, but it is what is at this point
One of your dumbest comments yet. Kids have no idea what will get them polished for the league. If you had said, "kids will go where they can catch 70-80 balls per year" you would have a believable argument.

One of your dumbest comments yet. Kids have no idea what will get them polished for the league. If you had said, "kids will go where they can catch 70-80 balls per year" you would have a believable argument.

That's where Im getting at. Hill only had 49 career catches. Double those w/ variety of routes and it is whole different ball game. The whole kids have no idea what will get them polished for the league naive statement. They spoke of Stephen as a D-III prospect before put up those ridiculous numbers. Yes, Stephen is bringing GT some pub, but it is not going to have that big of an impact on recruiting as some would like until there is some tinkering done. Call me what you want but I only talk about what I know

Last edited:
I'm glad for Stephen. I was frustrated with his play much of the time, but the physical ability was definitely there. I'm glad to see that he took his combine/draft prep time seriously and got in great shape.

This isn't a shocker to me though. When others were bitching about him not getting drafted, I predicted this great showing all along. Go ahead... search it bitches.

I wish he didn't leave, but I could easily see him going to the combine, putting up ridiculous numbers, and going in the 3rd round based on his potential and lack of conventional WR coaching.

PS: Eli Manning > Matt Ryan :cool:

Dude, don't feed the troll. Being a pipeline for 1st round WRs (3 in the last 5-6 years) is an obvious boon to recruiting. If I'm a skilled WR, CPJ can point to Thomas and Hill as representative of how our program can develop a player.

The problem with ibeedroolings argument is that it entirely ignores that it is OUR weightroom and strength and conditioning program that mostly got Hill and Thomas to where they were at the combine. Obviously they had some post school workouts as well, but if it were that easy to be a first round pick in the NFL Thomas and Hill would not have been first rounders.

Sounds like your trying to convince yourself. Take off your gold colored glasses.

I think it is. We had one of the fastest wide outs in the game in single coverage 95% of the time and we didn't take advantage of this?

Some will say that Hill can't catch, other will say that Tevin can't throw. I think its either piss poor skill development during practice or stubborn devotion to a running game that, at times, was a 3 and out machine.

Props to Hill though! I was one of the folks who thought it was a huge mistake to leave early but it looks like he is going to get paid now.

When balls hit the WR right in the hands and he drops them, it's not the QB's fault.

Hill may do well in the NFL draft, but it won't be because of what he showed them in his college career. He made some nice catches in his time at Tech, but his drops were far more frequent.

I'm just worried what led CPJ to his success will be his demise. Football is evolving on all levels, and I just see him resisting the changes.

Finally someone else recognizes. Stubborness can be a disguise for lack of knowledge.

CPJ knows the option. Period. He lacks the understanding for running a major college program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back