Enough with the Deon

Those ifs exists for other candidates too. And punching above your weight no longer keeps you competitive against Clemson or uga. CPJ punched above his weight. But that wasn’t enough as he lost the last 4 to Clemson and last 2 to uga weren’t even close. People want to compete with those öööös we yell piss on em for. Money and support from alumni is more likely to flow for Deion to get the right staff in place than another spread option guy who punches above his weight.

I absolutely agree about the risk not being exclusive. Typically we would want someone who has the lowest amount of risk that comes with a high reward. CPJ punched well above his weight, but he struggled with getting institutional support. I think the institutional support + a solid x&o coach punching above their weight is the lowest risk and comes with a very high probability of success. Obviously, the more programs they've turned around the greater the probability of success and the lower the risk.

I don't think it has to be an option coach (and never said that it did). I think Mullen is probably the most proven coach who is available (if we can afford him).

I think Deion has probably the best probability for outside cash influx in the short term, but like i said it won't last if he can't sustain it with wins. However, there's so little record on his ability to pick coaches or develop coaches at this stage of his career that I'm worried. I think asking the GTAA to pick the assistants for him is a crap shoot.

Of course, a second stop success story would mean that Deion is absolutely in play for a program with much more money than GT. As it stands now, Deion is a high risk dice roll that is perfect for GT. Program can't be lower in terms of local interest, alumni, etc. Deion more than any other coach out there IMMEDIATELY sells more tickets next season. Recruiting goes up. Revenue/donations increase from day 1

GT increases the coaching budget and surrounds him with quality assistants rather than the great value brand options for Goof.

May not work out of course. Absolutely a risk worth taking.

I agree with most of your points here. I'm just not sold on it being a risk worth taking and the main thing that would change my mind is time that we don't have.

Perhaps I'm reading you incorreclty, but it seems that you're implying Geoff failed because he had budget assistants and poor resources. Why are you convinced the gtaa will change enough to make Deion competitive? Do you trust them to take the lead on picking his coaches given their track record? Why would we not be better with a solid X&Os coach given those same resources? Would we be hiring Deion because he's good at coaching or hype/recruiting?

He has literally done nothing except be the most mid coach possible

He was the OC for 2 national championship wins at UF and arguably their best years in program history
As HC he turned around a nobody MSU and took them to the orange bowl
Took UF to back-to-back 10+ win seasons after mcelwains last season and a division win the following year

Yes, he's certainly a mid-tier coach.

I agree with most of your points here. I'm just not sold on it being a risk worth taking and the main thing that would change my mind is time that we don't have.

Perhaps I'm reading you incorreclty, but it seems that you're implying Geoff failed because he had budget assistants and poor resources. Why are you convinced the gtaa will change enough to make Deion competitive? Do you trust them to take the lead on picking his coaches given their track record? Why would we not be better with a solid X&Os coach given those same resources? Would we be hiring Deion because he's good at coaching or hype/recruiting?

How can it not be a risk worth taking? No matter how bad Deion is as a HC, no way it gets any worse than losing to The Citadel at home.

Why not both?

How can it not be a risk worth taking? No matter how bad Deion is as a HC, no way it gets any worse than losing to The Citadel at home.

Beating citadel isn't the standard. How many years of being at 3 wins are you willing to risk on Deion?

He was the OC for 2 national championship wins at UF and arguably their best years in program history
As HC he turned around a nobody MSU and took them to the orange bowl
Took UF to back-to-back 10+ win seasons after mcelwains last season and a division win the following year

Yes, he's certainly a mid-tier coach.
Yeah, he was extremely mid. Good coordinator, and good choices of coordinators when he was HC, but a mid HC

Beating citadel isn't the standard. How many years of being at 3 wins are you willing to risk on Deion?
At least 3.

That is just it though. I don't think there is another coach that could come in and turn this around faster than Deion. He would have the best transfer class before next season even started.

I think Chadwell could eventually turn it around here but it would be year 3 or 4 before we were a legitimate team. With Deion it would be year 2 at the latest, if everything came together.

The potential ceiling of a Deion Sanders hire needs to be explored, and if you don't at least look into it and interview the man to see if its possible, then you aren't doing your ööööing job.
You can't name a coach with a higher ceiling than Deion. You can't. Forget the floor for a second, imagine the ceiling. Really imagine it!

Recruiting could be something the likes we've only dreamed about. There is not ONE kid who is a 4 or 5 star player that would NOT seriously entertain Deion Sanders in their living room pitching playing in the ATL for Georgia Tech. Not one!

Deion coming back to the ATL would be SOOO huge in the community that the amount of support this would get to bring in sidewalk fans, supporters, alumni, $$$$$$ etc. would be ridiculous.

People already invested in the program but sitting on the sidelines waiting for the GTAA to actually do something worth a öööö would drop BOMBS of checks of support to the athletic program. I know I will. Not to mention the possibility of NIL deals.

All you ööööing engineers with blinders on, take them off for a second and try to wear a marketing hat for two seconds on this (Yeah, I know its asking a lot). Imagine the Ceiling for GT under Deion Sanders... its absolutely ridiculous and if we don't at least look into it, then we're led by people who imagine a cap on our success. No one has the same ceiling, that's a fact.

For those worried about his coaching. He took over a losing program, went 4-3 in Covid year, and since has gone 15-2 losing to two ranked opponents. He's going to attract coaches here. Even if we got Deion for 3-4 years, he has the potential to put us in a place the likes of which we've never seen. Excuse me if I fantasize over that as opposed to getting behind the same old same old GT bullshit that has run our brand down for the last 15 years.
What about his Mediocre Coach potential?

All of them. Deion doesnt even have to show up to the games. Lolol.
He being our HC alone would have recuits knocking down the door to get into GT. Take those recruits and Coach Prime can put whoever he wants as the playcallers….heck, even put you at playcaller and we will manage a 3 win season.

Goof is obviously a poor coach. Dabo's pretty much a dumbass too when you hear him talk. I think that GT trying to do a budget version of the Clemson model was a poor choice. I think that Goof would still be here if he had a good OC/DC from Day 1.

I am not convinced that the GTAA would change enough to make Deion competitive/have the resources to do so. I am more thinking that Deion would not take the job unless he had assurances of such. And no, I don't trust the poorly run GTAA to get much of anything right. I am hoping that the new GT AD would be able to help/assist with coordinator hires. And some of this is based upon Cabrera's statements after TDope and Goof were let go (and could just be wishful thinking).

I think that you are hiring Deion because we think he will be a good coach/have a chance to succeed with the right staff and he will definitely be good at hype/recruiting. Out of all of the candidates that are out there, Deion bring the most immediate upside in terms of tickets sales, donations, etc., revenue that the GTAA sorely needs. Also, if Deion were to flame out and was simply beating FCS opponents due to his ability to have some high Div. 1 kids on his team, I do not think that GT would necessarily be in worse place.

While it is interesting speculation and a nice distraction from the current dumpster fire, I do think the chances of Deion actually coming here are pretty low.

At least 3.

That is just it though. I don't think there is another coach that could come in and turn this around faster than Deion. He would have the best transfer class before next season even started.

I think Chadwell could eventually turn it around here but it would be year 3 or 4 before we were a legitimate team. With Deion it would be year 2 at the latest, if everything came together.

I think that makes sense if you view the biggest issue we have in the short-term is a bare cupboard. I think the biggest issues we have are a lack of leadership and poor coaching. Long term, I'd like recruiting to improve ( as i don't think collins significantly improved it) but that's beyond the 3 year scope.

Goof is obviously a poor coach. Dabo's pretty much a dumbass too when you hear him talk. I think that GT trying to do a budget version of the Clemson model was a poor choice. I think that Goof would still be here if he had a good OC/DC from Day 1.

I am not convinced that the GTAA would change enough to make Deion competitive/have the resources to do so. I am more thinking that Deion would not take the job unless he had assurances of such. And no, I don't trust the poorly run GTAA to get much of anything right. I am hoping that the new GT AD would be able to help/assist with coordinator hires. And some of this is based upon Cabrera's statements after TDope and Goof were let go (and could just be wishful thinking).

I'm with you on the hope that the gtaa changes, but I'm not convinced they will yet. I don't think they'll be able to choose as well as a solid HC, so I think Deion will be handicapped here based on his lack of years coaching. Perhaps his network is still good from his playing days, but that seems rather wishful.

YaboDabo may not be a smooth talker, but I'm not sure he's a bad coach. Clemson is down now, but their long string of success doesn't seem like an accident.

I think that you are hiring Deion because we think he will be a good coach/have a chance to succeed with the right staff and he will definitely be good at hype/recruiting. Out of all of the candidates that are out there, Deion bring the most immediate upside in terms of tickets sales, donations, etc., revenue that the GTAA sorely needs. Also, if Deion were to flame out and was simply beating FCS opponents due to his ability to have some high Div. 1 kids on his team, I do not think that GT would necessarily be in worse place.

While it is interesting speculation and a nice distraction from the current dumpster fire, I do think the chances of Deion actually coming here are pretty low.

We're already back to beating FCS teams, so we wouldn't necessarily be better than now. But i'm worried about the long term effects of having 6 years of being one of the worst teams in FBS. I want a really fast turn-around and I don't see that without solid fundamentals. I'll acknowledge there's a lot of presumptions about Deions fundamentals and you can color me a skeptic.

I'm with you on the hope that the gtaa changes, but I'm not convinced they will yet. I don't think they'll be able to choose as well as a solid HC, so I think Deion will be handicapped here based on his lack of years coaching. Perhaps his network is still good from his playing days, but that seems rather wishful.

YaboDabo may not be a smooth talker, but I'm not sure he's a bad coach. Clemson is down now, but their long string of success doesn't seem like an accident.

We're already back to beating FCS teams, so we wouldn't necessarily be better than now. But i'm worried about the long term effects of having 6 years of being one of the worst teams in FBS. I want a really fast turn-around and I don't see that without solid fundamentals. I'll acknowledge there's a lot of presumptions about Deions fundamentals and you can color me a skeptic.
We already have a 7 year history of being one of the worst teams in FBS. I don't see anything in our roster to say we will be a good team next year, and I expect a large amount of transfers out in the off season. Since the 2014 Orange Bowl we have had 2 winning seasons one of which was 7-6, so just barely.

Because neither of those two were the largest in life Pro Athlete EVER TO PLAY in the City where they coached. Neither of those guys are getting a seat at the kitchen table of every 4-5 star recruit in the country because of who they are. Neither of those guys are creating SIGNIFICANT buzz and bringing in otherwise non-fans of a school simply because of WHO THEY ARE! Neither of those guys are getting College Game Day to give them SIGNIFICANT attention under any random week.

Listen, lets be clear here. You can't compare Deion Sanders to any other coach out there fairly. It can't be done. Which makes it so interesting to examine. And that's all that I've been saying is this needs to be examined very closely. The floor to me is better than where we are now, and the ceiling is so ööööing high I can't see it. There's not another coach who brings that situation with him.

Honestly, if you are that short sighted to write it off so fast, then öööö you! You demand peanuts, you get peanuts. Occasionally you see things line up in a way where there is an opportunity to shoot for the moon. This is one of those potential situations. If you don't at least try to see it, then you don't need to be leading.

Recruiting is successful when you sway the parents opinion, the parents of current High School kids know who Deion is and watched him on TV. Make a 2 year contract and try this thing out!

Back