Enough with the Deon

I don't think his main problem was a lack of spending, but he wasn't topping out even the ACC either. He got us back into middle of the pack in spending IIRC. I'm saying that spending on staff & recruiting does matter a lot. Do you think it's a coincidence that Alabama is outspending everyone and has the best results? Do you think it's a coincidence that Deion was the only one with analysts in FCS last year and had a massive jump in improvement? Look at the quotes from his team.

I'd like to see coaches that can punch above their weight. If Deion is replicating the spending and strategies of larger schools (fbs) to beat up on fcs opponents it's good strategy for him but he's only moving into parity if he comes up to FBS; it's not a special strategy anymore. He seems to be punching above his weight for recruiting, but he's also operating on very different margins. If we miss on a 4*, it matters a lot. If he misses, the kid is still an all-star at the FCS level. Even a team of only 3*s should be crushing any FCS competition. Like I said in my other posts, there's just too little information for me to be on board yet. If he had a few more years at Jax or a second stop at a school where he demonstrated an improvement this would be a very different conversation.
Lol you think we’ll have a shot at hiring him after he wins at another school?

Tell me why you think Sanders could not recruit or coach ? He would be a great recruiter as I neloeve he would become a lightning rod in the black community with high hopes of him doing well at a big school. A two sport star in a town often referred to as a "black Mecca" he would have a wide appeal & bring more people to the GT fanbase. Coaching football ain't rocket science as a lot of people at different levels do it really well. Right now the program has bottomed out but Sanders ( or Chadwell) can resurrect this program, not a doubt in my 74 year old mind.

I think there's a solid probability he starts off recruiting better here than we had been (assuming he gets the necessary financial support, hill support, etc.), but that will only sustain itself if he wins here. I'm not convinced he can do that just because he's able to copy the playbook of FBS programs successfully against FCS schools. If he hires the right assistants, he could be lightening in a bottle, but head coaches aren't just coaching players - they're coaching up the assistant coaches too. If he's just a manager or recruiter, I think the odds are that he struggles to get the right assistants.

I think there's a solid probability he starts off recruiting better here than we had been (assuming he gets the necessary financial support, hill support, etc.), but that will only sustain itself if he wins here. I'm not convinced he can do that just because he's able to copy the playbook of FBS programs successfully against FCS schools. If he hires the right assistants, he could be lightening in a bottle, but head coaches aren't just coaching players - they're coaching up the assistant coaches too. If he's just a manager or recruiter, I think the odds are that he struggles to get the right assistants.
Good it sounds like you are finally coming around to the idea. This needs to be vetted out and not passed over.

I don't think his main problem was a lack of spending, but he wasn't topping out even the ACC either. He got us back into middle of the pack in spending IIRC. I'm saying that spending on staff & recruiting does matter a lot. Do you think it's a coincidence that Alabama is outspending everyone and has the best results? Do you think it's a coincidence that Deion was the only one with analysts in FCS last year and had a massive jump in improvement? Look at the quotes from his team.

I'd like to see coaches that can punch above their weight. If Deion is replicating the spending and strategies of larger schools (fbs) to beat up on fcs opponents it's good strategy for him but he's only moving into parity if he comes up to FBS; it's not a special strategy anymore. He seems to be punching above his weight for recruiting, but he's also operating on very different margins. If we miss on a 4*, it matters a lot. If he misses, the kid is still an all-star at the FCS level. Even a team of only 3*s should be crushing any FCS competition. Like I said in my other posts, there's just too little information for me to be on board yet. If he had a few more years at Jax or a second stop at a school where he demonstrated an improvement this would be a very different conversation.
Well, yes, and that conversation would be "we should have hired him last year when we could afford him because now that he is a no brainer and everyone wants him we cannot compete in that bidding war".

The very legitimate "lack of information" around Deion does mean he could fail badly when he moves up. That, as you ironically point out, even happens when a coach moves from one P5 to another. That is the reason that some teams will hesitate/pass this year wrt deion. The only teams that will accept that risk are teams at rock bottom where the risk is basically irrelevant.

Those ifs exists for other candidates too. And punching above your weight no longer keeps you competitive against Clemson or uga. CPJ punched above his weight. But that wasn’t enough as he lost the last 4 to Clemson and last 2 to uga weren’t even close. People want to compete with those öööös we yell piss on em for. Money and support from alumni is more likely to flow for Deion to get the right staff in place than another spread option guy who punches above his weight.

Did I say that we had to only hire from p5? But even if that was the case, with all of the talk about how much money the school is going to give Deion to finally stop hiring cheap coordinators why is money now suddenly an issue for a different head coach?
Where is that talk coming from? I have not heard that talk.

Why is Deion the only one who can save us?
because of this:

Those ifs exists for other candidates too. And punching above your weight no longer keeps you competitive against Clemson or uga. CPJ punched above his weight. But that wasn’t enough as he lost the last 4 to Clemson and last 2 to uga weren’t even close. People want to compete with those öööös we yell piss on em for. Money and support from alumni is more likely to flow for Deion to get the right staff in place than another spread option guy who punches above his weight.

You're inventing things that do not exist, no one is pooing solid alternatives like Chadwell, just stating a preference, you are the one pooing a solid alternative.

Perhaps that's an issue of text forums. It seems that many here have decided on Deion as the choice and nobody else is worth it. Perhaps I have misunderstood.

Deion was cool 30 years ago therefore he's a great coach now that all the top players want to play for. Nice logic
Deion did something last year at Jackson State that has never been done at Georgia Tech. He signed a 5* recruit and not just any 5* recruit, the #1 rated recruit in the entire cycle. A guy from our backyard, who probably never gave us a single look. Trust me guys want to play for him.

Deion was cool 30 years ago therefore he's a great coach now that all the top players want to play for. Nice logic
Have you seen the current fashions and obsessions of kids today? It’s all 90s öööö. Go shill for Key somewhere else doofus. Maybe he shouldn’t have trashed the alma mater he loved so much while he was away and we would be more enthused about him.

Deion is cool now.

He is 15-2 in his last 17. That is great.

Almost everyone who follows football has publicly stated his recruiting has been beyond impressive. Recruits by the hundreds have expressed interest in playing for him. He stole a 5 star from FSU, which overshadows that he also stole a 4 star WR from UGA on early signing day.

Perhaps that's an issue of text forums. It seems that many here have decided on Deion as the choice and nobody else is worth it. Perhaps I have misunderstood.
Very few Deion #1 cheerleaders are actually Deion or bust. Almost all of us think Chadwell would be, if not a home run hire, at least a triple. Even the ones who think Deion is probably a walk off grand slam when you are down by three with two outs and an 0-2 count admit Caldwell would be a solid hire.

Like I said in my other posts, there's just too little information for me to be on board yet. If he had a few more years at Jax or a second stop at a school where he demonstrated an improvement this would be a very different conversation.

Of course, a second stop success story would mean that Deion is absolutely in play for a program with much more money than GT. As it stands now, Deion is a high risk dice roll that is perfect for GT. Program can't be lower in terms of local interest, alumni, etc. Deion more than any other coach out there IMMEDIATELY sells more tickets next season. Recruiting goes up. Revenue/donations increase from day 1

GT increases the coaching budget and surrounds him with quality assistants rather than the great value brand options for Goof.

May not work out of course. Absolutely a risk worth taking.

That's not some hypothetical, that's reality. Just look at how he has recruited at Jackson State. He is literally getting top players at an HBCU.

I don't know if Deion can coach well, or if he would be a success here. But it's simply a fact that he is an excellent recruiter who top players want to play for. That is extremely unlikely to change if he moves to a P5 school in the middle of Atlanta.

Back