Expansion Rumors…

The latest on the $1.5 billion per year B1G revenue share. But yeah……The ACC Network / TV deal is great…….ACC! ACC! ACC!

You’re right. But at the same time when the B1G offered GT the $$$ to switch (per rumors) GT said no. And at that time, GT was a much better football program.

Like I said before, Atlanta is GT’s only leverage point at this time. The B1G will have to weigh that when the time comes to send out more offers.
The decision to reject the Big 10 offer was at least as bad as the decision to leave the SEC. We have had consistently bad leadership for the past sixty years.

Had we gone to the BIG10, we'd have the fonts who complain now about not joining the BIG10 complaining we should have stayed in the ACC

The decision to reject the Big 10 offer was at least as bad as the decision to leave the SEC. We have had consistently bad leadership for the past sixty years.

Honestly, it was worse. We were still a legitimate power when we left the SEC, and while it should have been an obviously bad decision, I can at least see how someone could have fooled themselves into thinking independent would work for us.

With the big10 it was basically us saying, "No, I have too much money already and I'd rather play in this second tier conference that prioritizes basketball." There's no way I can even remotely convince myself of any benefit.

Had we gone to the BIG10, we'd have the fonts who complain now about not joining the BIG10 complaining we should have stayed in the ACC

I don't understand how many people could look at the college football landscape the way it is now and think we would be better off in the ACC than in the Big Ten or The SEC.

Do you want to know how to turn off Athletic Directors and Coaches. Turn down the Big. If you want to know how to turn off fans, do everything GT has over the last 20 to 40 years.
I’ve worked with and have GT engineers working for me currently. You aren’t that great, it is the legend that lives on. Stop being elitist and great because of the school. Be great because of yourself.

Do you want to know how to turn off Athletic Directors and Coaches. Turn down the Big. If you want to know how to turn off fans, do everything GT has over the last 20 to 40 years.
I’ve worked with and have GT engineers working for me currently. You aren’t that great, it is the legend that lives on.
1990 was pretty good. Other than that no

As I recall it was not close to a unanimous opinion that we should go to the B1G back then. Lots of people didn't particularly want to be such a geographic outlier or lose games against Clemson, FSU, etc. In hindsight, yeah, we absolutely should have jumped.

Honestly, it was worse. We were still a legitimate power when we left the SEC, and while it should have been an obviously bad decision, I can at least see how someone could have fooled themselves into thinking independent would work for us.

With the big10 it was basically us saying, "No, I have too much money already and I'd rather play in this second tier conference that prioritizes basketball." There's no way I can even remotely convince myself of any benefit.
Not exactly true. Dodd’s teams of the early 60s looked nothing like those of the 50s, and it wasn’t because he forgot how to coach. They were competitive, but he was growing more and more frustrated with the Administration and the BOR. The recruiting gap between the big SEC state schools and Tech had grown exponentially. Tech football had it’s moments as an Independent and in the ACC, but the real advantages of the SEC wouldn’t have come until 40+ years later.
To constantly lament the 1963 decision is to believe the Tech Admin would have gone all in on football, which they didn’t in 1963 and they don’t now. Even with a wealthy alumni base, Tech had to cobble together funds to build the Edge Center when the state schools were expanding stadiums and facilities

The Atlanta TV market is all GT brings to the table.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I expect future expansion will be based on teams that best fit the mold for the right fit for a conference in the longer term. In other words, does the school fit the culture, can they give back meaningfully in some significant capacity over the long-haul, and does their program have potential even if it's not hitting on all cylinders today? GT checks the boxes for both the B1G and SEC in my biased opinion, but especially for the B1G.

Expansion to and beyond 16 teams is a complicated thing to do, it's historically been untenable. I get football is driving the bus, but still presidents are going to feel better about these decisions the less they disrupt or even benefit all other sports and academics. Looking at some of the pros that many of you guys are overlooking...

GT's benefits:
  • GT's academics speak for themselves
  • GT is a research powerhouse. There's a lot of difficulty in becoming an AAU school, particularly doing it without even having a med school.
  • GT IS situated nicely in the Atlanta/Georgia TV market and is still growing
  • Georgia has become the 3rd strongest recruiting state in the country, with only 2 major college football programs in that state
  • GT has a history of competing big for championships when it has the resources and desire.
  • And GT is up the road from the Atlanta airport, one of the biggest, busiest airports not only in the country but the world. It's got direct flights daily to virtually everywhere in the country. As a school president who is concerned about football revenue but wants to sell additional schools as a win to their other sports programs, adding GT is a big positive over most other programs in the country. Your teams aren't taking 3 connecting flights and a 2-3 hour bus drive to get to middle-of-no-where-college-town.

Obviously money is the main and maybe only reason conferences will expand, but I can see reasons for GT being on the shortlist for several conferences. If you're inviting a team to come join and play together for the next 100 years, do you roll the dice on a flash in the pan school that currently has the right coach and hot ratings today, or the one who you think can consistently deliver and fit well in the longterm? We may not be the B1G or SEC's top pick, but I think it's reasonable that we would be on their short lists.

Last edited:
I don't understand how many people could look at the college football landscape the way it is now and think we would be better off in the ACC than in the Big Ten or The SEC.
"We just did it for the money...."

"Look at this year's schedule! Away in November at Northwestern AND Minnesota"

"Should have just stayed in the ACC and tried to renegotiate the contract"

"We should be playing Clemson or FSU, not Rutgers and Maryland. This sucks"

That is your alternate history moment.

Wow. I had no idea Miami had hired Radakovich. I wasn’t envious of Miami’s position, but Radakovich taking that job gives them a chance.

That being said, Miami’s is probably the most delusional fan base in the country. But I can see DRad selling Miami as an SEC version of a Notre Dame that joined the B1G. A small private school with a reputation that far exceeds the hard numbers.

Their sidewalk fans probably are next level delusional, but Miami is stacked with potential and their stealing of DRad from Clemson and Cristobal from Oregon I think proves that their administration is all in on righting the ship. They've made the financial commitment, they've got their T. Boone Pickens mega donor who has promised to get the university an on campus stadium or whatever that ends up looking like for UM, and they've brought in proven winners. Their brand is still strong despite the last 15ish years, they're rocking the boat heavily with the NIL. I think they're an easy pick for the B1G, if the SEC rumors aren't true.

Their sidewalk fans probably are next level delusional, but Miami is stacked with potential and their stealing of DRad from Clemson and Cristobal from Oregon I think proves that their administration is all in on righting the ship. They've made the financial commitment, they've got their T. Boone Pickens mega donor who has promised to get the university an on campus stadium or whatever that ends up looking like for UM, and they've brought in proven winners. Their brand is still strong despite the last 15ish years, they're rocking the boat heavily with the NIL. I think they're an easy pick for the B1G, if the SEC rumors aren't true.
And if Miami left the ACC, they would be leaving having never won the conference championship

And if Miami left the ACC, they would be leaving having never won the conference championship

Less successful than Wake, even with Duke and UVa. Basically, bottom half of the coastal division success wise. Definitely behind VT, GT, and Pitt.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I expect future expansion will be based on teams that best fit the mold for the right fit for a conference in the longer term. In other words, does the school fit the culture, can they give back meaningfully in some significant capacity over the long-haul, and does their program have potential even if it's not hitting on all cylinders today? GT checks the boxes for both the B1G and SEC in my biased opinion, but especially for the B1G.

Expansion to and beyond 16 teams is a complicated thing to do, it's historically been untenable. I get football is driving the bus, but still presidents are going to feel better about these decisions the less they disrupt or even benefit all other sports and academics. Looking at some of the pros that many of you guys are overlooking...

GT's benefits:
  • GT's academics speak for themselves
  • GT is a research powerhouse. There's a lot of difficulty in becoming an AAU school, particularly doing it without even having a med school.
  • GT IS situated nicely in the Atlanta/Georgia TV market and is still growing
  • Georgia has become the 3rd strongest recruiting state in the country, with only 2 major college football programs in that state
  • GT has a history of competing big for championships when it has the resources and desire.
  • And GT is up the road from the Atlanta airport, one of the biggest, busiest airports not only in the country but the world. It's got direct flights daily to virtually everywhere in the country. As a school president who is concerned about football revenue but wants to sell additional schools as a win to their other sports programs, adding GT is a big positive over most other programs in the country. Your teams aren't taking 3 connecting flights and a 2-3 hour bus drive to get to middle-of-no-where-college-town.

Obviously money is the main and maybe only reason conferences will expand, but I can see reasons for GT being on the shortlist for several conferences. If you're inviting a team to come join and play together for the next 100 years, do you roll the dice on a flash in the pan school that currently has the right coach and hot ratings today, or the one who you think can consistently deliver and fit well in the longterm? We may not be the B1G or SEC's top pick, but I think it's reasonable that we would be on their short lists.
I don’t disagree with your points as it relates to GT the school fitting the academic side of the B1G, etc. However, as reported yesterday on XM Radio College Sports Saturday, when the B1G added USC and UCLA, the TV deal went up $500 million. The brands are what drove the price up. USC with Lincoln Riley at the helm was an instant impact. USC will be back to competing for a CFP spot sooner rather than later. UCLA the school can no longer ignore giving additional resources for football. They have the $$ now. Chip Kelly’s resume speaks for itself. So the conflicting reports now are, whether the B1G are still looking around to expand, while the 16 schools are happy with the huge revenue share they are about to get. So to those schools, why add right now? The same is reportedly true from the SEC president’s. They are happy at 16.

So when it’s time to expand again (B1G will likely go 1st to hit 20) if you go by the reports, and made for TV games are what the driving force is…..Where does that put GT? Of the ACC candidate’s from a football perspective, the rankings based on current state of the program + facilities + attendance / size of the stadium, I’d go with the following:

1. Clemson (Everyone wants them. Enough said).
2. FSU (Brand only. Should be a quick fix with the revenue stream).
3. Miami (Brand + reinvestment at Miami when hiring Mario C).
4. NCSU (Solid football program + huge fan support).
5. UNC (State school + sports).
6. Louisville (Better fan support + better overall sports).
7. VT (Better fan support + better overall sports).
8. UVA (Better football program + solid academics give them the edge over GT).
9. GT (Atlanta market + academics are all that’s attractive at the moment).
10. Pitt (NFL stadium, despite being a better program gets no fan support).
11. Duke (Only because of hoops).
12. BC (Boston market).
13. Wake (Stable football program, but small stadium).
14. Syracuse (Honestly, hoops is all they bring to the table).

I know the B1G prides itself on the academic members (both of which USC, UCLA are a part of) so that probably eliminates Louisville and VT. So that probably positions GT as #7 on the current pecking order (due to the current state of the big 2 in sports).

So if the true reason for expansion is made for TV games, does GT move the meter against say Louisville, VT, UVA or even Pitt against fill in the blank B1G team? I don’t know if they do.

Oregon & Washington are easy picks for the B1G. I think they’ll even grab Stanford to create a West pod (USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington). So if 20 is the number, that leaves room for 1 ACC team. If the SEC grabs Clemson, FSU, Miami and 1 of NCSU / UNC, it would be real interesting to see which ACC school the B1G would take. My guess is NCSU or UNC.

Growing up in metro Atlanta, but living outside of Los Angeles for almost 3 years, followed by a few years in each of the Carolina’s and now in the CST (company has gone perm WFH since the pandemic) I’ve visited numerous ACC / SEC / B1G / P12 stadiums over the last 20 years. I’ll go by personal ranking based on stadium environment on Game day:

1. LSU
2. Oregon
3. Wisconsin
4. Clemson
5. UGA
6. Auburn
7. UF
8. NCSU
9. USC
10. Washington
11. FSU
12. Colorado
13. UCLA
14. UNC
15. UVA
16. GT
17. Maryland
18. Wake
19. Duke

When you visit other program’s inside and outside the ACC, you unfortunately see what GT lacks. The electricity / vibe just isn’t there. And for the record, I haven’t been to a GT game at BDS since 2010. Honestly I don’t know what GT can do at this point in time, but they need to figure out how to attract a larger sidewalk fan base. Outside of Duke and Wake, GT was at the bottom as far as student support goes. But that’s always been the issue I guess.

I don’t disagree with your points as it relates to GT the school fitting the academic side of the B1G, etc. However, as reported yesterday on XM Radio College Sports Saturday, when the B1G added USC and UCLA, the TV deal went up $500 million. The brands are what drove the price up. USC with Lincoln Riley at the helm was an instant impact. USC will be back to competing for a CFP spot sooner rather than later. UCLA the school can no longer ignore giving additional resources for football. They have the $$ now. Chip Kelly’s resume speaks for itself. So the conflicting reports now are, whether the B1G are still looking around to expand, while the 16 schools are happy with the huge revenue share they are about to get. So to those schools, why add right now? The same is reportedly true from the SEC president’s. They are happy at 16.

So when it’s time to expand again (B1G will likely go 1st to hit 20) if you go by the reports, and made for TV games are what the driving force is…..Where does that put GT? Of the ACC candidate’s from a football perspective, the rankings based on current state of the program + facilities + attendance / size of the stadium, I’d go with the following:

1. Clemson (Everyone wants them. Enough said).
2. FSU (Brand only. Should be a quick fix with the revenue stream).
3. Miami (Brand + reinvestment at Miami when hiring Mario C).
4. NCSU (Solid football program + huge fan support).
5. UNC (State school + sports).
6. Louisville (Better fan support + better overall sports).
7. VT (Better fan support + better overall sports).
8. UVA (Better football program + solid academics give them the edge over GT).
9. GT (Atlanta market + academics are all that’s attractive at the moment).
10. Pitt (NFL stadium, despite being a better program gets no fan support).
11. Duke (Only because of hoops).
12. BC (Boston market).
13. Wake (Stable football program, but small stadium).
14. Syracuse (Honestly, hoops is all they bring to the table).

I know the B1G prides itself on the academic members (both of which USC, UCLA are a part of) so that probably eliminates Louisville and VT. So that probably positions GT as #7 on the current pecking order (due to the current state of the big 2 in sports).

So if the true reason for expansion is made for TV games, does GT move the meter against say Louisville, VT, UVA or even Pitt against fill in the blank B1G team? I don’t know if they do.

Oregon & Washington are easy picks for the B1G. I think they’ll even grab Stanford to create a West pod (USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington). So if 20 is the number, that leaves room for 1 ACC team. If the SEC grabs Clemson, FSU, Miami and 1 of NCSU / UNC, it would be real interesting to see which ACC school the B1G would take. My guess is NCSU or UNC.

Growing up in metro Atlanta, but living outside of Los Angeles for almost 3 years, followed by a few years in each of the Carolina’s and now in the CST (company has gone perm WFH since the pandemic) I’ve visited numerous ACC / SEC / B1G / P12 stadiums over the last 20 years. I’ll go by personal ranking based on stadium environment on Game day:

1. LSU
2. Oregon
3. Wisconsin
4. Clemson
5. UGA
6. Auburn
7. UF
8. NCSU
9. USC
10. Washington
11. FSU
12. Colorado
13. UCLA
14. UNC
15. UVA
16. GT
17. Maryland
18. Wake
19. Duke

When you visit other program’s inside and outside the ACC, you unfortunately see what GT lacks. The electricity / vibe just isn’t there. And for the record, I haven’t been to a GT game at BDS since 2010. Honestly I don’t know what GT can do at this point in time, but they need to figure out how to attract a larger sidewalk fan base. Outside of Duke and Wake, GT was at the bottom as far as student support goes. But that’s always been the issue I guess.

I think you are way off. I do think that the timing of this during a very down period could really hurt Tech. However these are smart folks and for you to rank UVA ahead of GT is crazy dumb. NOBODY wants to watch UVA nationwide, UVA has done nothing in its football history. Tech is in a much better football area (home of college football), Tech has the 3rd best recruiting area in the country, Georgia has a bigger population than Virginia, etc. etc.

Regarding the other schools on your list ahead of us, you are ranking based on one conference over another. When you look at SEC, NCS is ahead of Tech mainly because UNC will go Big Ten first. But Tech is way ahead of NCS for history, research, reputation, football history, potential market, etc.

UL is never ever getting brought in by the Big Ten or the SEC. Why have them ahead of Tech is crazy dumb.

Lastly, Tech actually has a nice reputation for football environment when we are the least bit competitive. Picking us 16th when we are down does not really measure our past, present and future very well.

Back