Expansion Rumors…

Listening to ESPNU and an interview with the Commissioner at Big 10 media days I heard a troubling answer to the question, “Are you and the SEC commissioner in conversation about how you see this conference expansion turning out? Since you are obviously the two power conferences, are you discussing with one another your ultimate goal for how college football will work?”

His answer was that they were not talking together. He stressed that he was focused on doing what was best for the member schools of the Big 10. They were satisfied with their number at 16, but open for any discussion that might be in the best interests of the Big 10, including further expansion. He concluded with the “gag me” lie, that all they will consider in the future will have academic integrity of the schools foremost in mind.

The sad part of this is that I think he is telling the truth. I wish the SEC and Big 10 did have a joint plan that includes how many schools they will involve and how they will deal with scheduling and playoffs, as well as this expansion’s effects on other sports. If they both decided on 28, we could plan for a super 56 with everyone else reorganizing to compete on the second level.

Instead, the Big 10 and SEC will continue to poach when and whom they want. They will compete against each other more than collaborate. These greedy guys want it all. Unless those left outside these two conferences can form their own new way of relating to and competing with one another, they will ultimately be devoured by the two big power conferences. Then, those two will turn on one another. Name what is true - the Big10 and the SEC both want to become the NCAA-like sole representative for a certain number of super power schools.
This is far too optimistic. Neither conference will poach random teams.

They will only poach teams that bring in more money than the average team in their conference, otherwise adding a team loses them money.

The reason I call this optimistic is that Tech doesn’t/barely bring in as much money as the average team. It’s hard to see how Tech wouldn’t be left behind once the dust settles. The only possibility is if the B1G needs a monetarily under performing team to fill out a Southern division (they pick up UNC, Clemson, FSU, and need a 4th to hold it together). Atlanta might be attractive being central’ish and well connected.

Miami insiders saying they're SEC bound. Would make sense that DRad would be highly active on this, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Wow. I had no idea Miami had hired Radakovich. I wasn’t envious of Miami’s position, but Radakovich taking that job gives them a chance.

That being said, Miami’s is probably the most delusional fan base in the country. But I can see DRad selling Miami as an SEC version of a Notre Dame that joined the B1G. A small private school with a reputation that far exceeds the hard numbers.

Wow. I had no idea Miami had hired Radakovich. I wasn’t envious of Miami’s position, but Radakovich taking that job gives them a chance.

That being said, Miami’s is probably the most delusional fan base in the country. But I can see DRad selling Miami as an SEC version of a Notre Dame that joined the B1G. A small private school with a reputation that far exceeds the hard numbers.

It would make sense for The Big Ten to add Tech, Miami, NC and Texas A+M. If Big 10 did that, they would have the whole country covered. That would make a lot more money than the SEC. Then, the Big Ten would not need to bother competing with any other conference in any sport. All of a sudden, the SEC and ND would be on the outside looking in. I would enjoy watching Paul Finebaum analyze that.

It would make sense for The Big Ten to add Tech, Miami, NC and Texas A+M. If Big 10 did that, they would have the whole country covered. That would make a lot more money than the SEC. Then, the Big Ten would not need to bother competing with any other conference in any sport. All of a sudden, the SEC and ND would be on the outside looking in. I would enjoy watching Paul Finebaum analyze that.
The chance of Texas A&M leaving the SEC is about the same as the chance of me piloting a starship to Mars next year.

Had me until Texas A&M

They will only poach teams that bring in more money than the average team in their conference, otherwise adding a team loses them money.

The reason I call this optimistic is that Tech doesn’t/barely bring in as much money as the average team. It’s hard to see how Tech wouldn’t be left behind once the dust settles. The only possibility is if the B1G needs a monetarily under performing team to fill out a Southern division (they pick up UNC, Clemson, FSU, and need a 4th to hold it together). Atlanta might be attractive being central’ish and well connected.
My understanding is the Big 10 gets twice as much money from the cable and streaming companies for states where they have teams. Doubling the revenue for the state of Georgia subscriber base should more than pay for our cut. Plus the advantages of playing games in Atlanta and the ease of access.

My understanding is the Big 10 gets twice as much money from the cable and streaming companies for states where they have teams. Doubling the revenue for the state of Georgia subscriber base should more than pay for our cut. Plus the advantages of playing games in Atlanta and the ease of access.
Plus recruiting the state of Georgia in-roads for B1G teams.
Plus GT's academic / research pull and AAC membership.

You hit the nail on the head re: TV revenues from State of Georgia subscribers.

Tech should offer no payout from the Big for 3 years if they will take us. I’m afraid we’re going to be left out in the cold with Duke, WF and VPI.

Plus recruiting the state of Georgia in-roads for B1G teams.
Plus GT's academic / research pull and AAC membership.

You hit the nail on the head re: TV revenues from State of Georgia subscribers.
Most of these reasons also argue for the Big10 adding Miami but not FSU. FSU is a better fit for the SEC assuming Florida will let them in.

Had me until Texas A&M

I heard three guys on a YouTube channel out of Dallas talking about the possibility of Texas A+M going to Big Ten. They said Texas A+M was mad that the SEC took Texas, since A+M went to the SEC to get away from being in the same conference as Texas. Their final opinion was that Texas A+M would not leave the SEC. But, if the Big Ten added Tech, NC, Miami and Texas A+M, they might pay out twice as much per team as the SEC. They would be in many more lucrative TV markets than the SEC. The SEC's strength is not the value of their TV markets, it's in its perceived and promoted dominance on the football field. But, if a truly national conference that covers major TV markets all over the country just decided to ignore the SEC, the value of the SEC would be limited to its actual TV markets, the rural South. Columbia, SC, Starkville, MS, Oxford, MS, Tuscaloosa, AL, Auburn, AL, Knoxville, TN, Gainesville, FL, Baton Rouge, LA, Fayetteville, AR, Lexington, KY and Athens, GA are very nice places. But, if they had to rely on the market value of the states in which they are located, they would not be worth half of what a truly national conference like the Big Ten proposed above would be. By destroying the traditional sectional college football conferences of which it was the strongest, the SEC may have laid the groundwork for a rival truly national conference with which it could not compete.

Not necessarily. The B1G took Nebraska (because they sell out regardless the product) along with 2 mediocre to bad program’s in Maryland and Rutgers. It certainly wasn’t for anything more than the D.C. and NYC TV markets.

As it presently stands, the Atlanta TV market is all GT brings to the table. The big 2 sports certainly are not an attractive product at the moment.

Not necessarily. The B1G took Nebraska (because they sell out regardless the product) along with 2 mediocre to bad program’s in Maryland and Rutgers. It certainly wasn’t for anything more than the D.C. and NYC TV markets.

As it presently stands, the Atlanta TV market is all GT brings to the table. The big 2 sports certainly are not an attractive product at the moment.

If the B1G can leverage the Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, NJ, and Maryland cable markets to get an extra $1 per month out of every Georgia cable subscriber we are worth the cost. The same goes for a NC, VA, or (especially FL) team. They just have to work it one state at a time. Obviously, UNC would be an easier sale than UVa/VT which would be easier than us. FSU/Miami are harder because of all the people in FL who don’t care about those schools because of the transplants.

If the B1G can leverage the Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, NJ, and Maryland cable markets to get an extra $1 per month out of every Georgia cable subscriber we are worth the cost. The same goes for a NC, VA, or (especially FL) team. They just have to work it one state at a time. Obviously, UNC would be an easier sale than UVa/VT which would be easier than us. FSU/Miami are harder because of all the people in FL who don’t care about those schools because of the transplants.
You’re right. But at the same time when the B1G offered GT the $$$ to switch (per rumors) GT said no. And at that time, GT was a much better football program.

Like I said before, Atlanta is GT’s only leverage point at this time. The B1G will have to weigh that when the time comes to send out more offers.

Y'all must not understand a&m's disdain for Austin. That was the biggest divorce in college football history. I would not be shocked if they said " bye Felicia" to SEC just because of their hate for Texas. It would be a mistake and petty, but would not be shocked.

Back