Expansion Rumors…

There would NEVER be an injunction issued to keep them from leaving. In fact, it would probably be settled, ultimately, because the ACC and schools involved would not want the astronomical court costs associated with a drawn out court case. I'd guess the settlement would be some sort of present value calculation plus damages. Clemson and FSU and Miami would gladly pay to escape the ööööshow of the ACC for long term survivability of their programs.
Exactly right. No court would issue an injunction to forbid a school from making a move. Sure, It would probably be litigated and over time would be resolved at a much lesser price. You are spot on, this IS the survivability of these programs. Anyone waiting around for fairy dust falling from the sky to magically save the ACC is hitting the crack pipe

Exactly right. No court would issue an injunction to forbid a school from making a move. Sure, It would probably be litigated and over time would be resolved at a much lesser price. You are spot on, this IS the survivability of these programs. Anyone waiting around for fairy dust falling from the sky to magically save the ACC is hitting the crack pipe
Your legal bona fides, please? TIA.

The 93% would be even higher if it wasn't for the portal.

How?

Georgia Tech admits well more than 5000 new students every year. The TOTAL number of folks leaving by the portal each year isn't even 50. That's less than one percent. And some of those would not have graduated anyway. So what - are you really arguing that it would be 93.1%???

His point was that guys aren’t leaving due to academics (for the most part). He’s wrong to extrapolate that to all football recruits. The Tech football commits out of HS are, on average, a very smart group. I would guess that the Tech athlete grades/scores stacks up favorably against many colleges’ general student body.

My wife teaches HS. There are some dumb, dumb athletes out there getting recruited.

Actually, this argument is past stupid. All several of us are doing is pointing out the world as it exists today. You or I don’t have to like it. I typically just post in GT history threads, and yes, I appreciate the CFB landscape in the Dodd era very much. But it is hard to envision any enthusiasm for a program that is slugging it out with Duke, BC, and Syracuse. Anyone with their finger on the pulse knows the ACC is in dire straits

But you are saying you don't want to compete with the teams GT has competed with for the past 50 years. And no, in the odd years we would not be competitive with those programs under your plan. We could probably compete with the service academies. You are basically talking about going to a pumped up version of the FCS if I understand you with maybe a minor bowl game in good years.
Who of those teams Tech played regularly over the last 50 years?
UGag and CU annually
Alabama, Auburn, UF, UT, LSU, and USC rarely
Penn St, Iowa, Nebraska, Minn, and MSU once
OU, UTA, TAMU, UCLA, UoM, and tOSU never.
What exactly would we miss?

Our problems are (1) money and (2) interest. If we were ever able to get to the SEC that fixes both problems. We will have money and a sudden schedule that is full of natural and historic rivals that our fans want to see is play (as well as opposing fans who would travel to Atlanta to see their teams play). It should be our #1 goal to get back in SEC.

B1G fixes one of the problems - money. It’s debatable whether overall interest would improve given the drop off of teams in the B1G once you get past their bluebloods. Particularly a concern with travel distances.

What I am 100% sure of is that sticking with the ACC is the path to a slow death. The money sucks and no one gives AF about seeing most of our conference. Seriously - when did you last year someone say “I’m really looking forward to that Pitt/UL/Wake/NCST/Syracuse/BC game”? NEVER because no one is going to watch that öööö unless their team is playing. They will, however, watch LSU, Alabama, or Tennessee play just because it’s on.

Who of those teams Tech played regularly over the last 50 years?
UGag and CU annually
Alabama, Auburn, UF, UT, LSU, and USC rarely
Penn St, Iowa, Nebraska, Minn, and MSU once
OU, UTA, TAMU, UCLA, UoM, and tOSU never.
What exactly would we miss?

Auburn and UT were annual when I was in school, and that was less than 50 years ago. I guess you could argue we haven't played anyone regularly over the last 50 years other than UGA though.

Why would a judge order an injunction about leaving? I thought teams could leave; but they just had to pay TV rights to the ACC for a decade. The ACC can sue for payment; but I didn't think they could stop someone from leaving.

Harvard Law.
I'm sorry, I would not have guessed from your posts. I will admit that I'm jealous. Would you care to share the year you received your JD, and whether you had any classes under Dershowitz, Arthur Miller, or Laurance Tribe? I attended a couple of visiting lectures by Miller and really enjoyed them . . . would love to have had any of those guys as a professor. Do you still practice? Anyway . . . congrats on a top-flight legal education!

Why would a judge order an injunction about leaving? I thought teams could leave; but they just had to pay TV rights to the ACC for a decade. The ACC can sue for payment; but I didn't think they could stop someone from leaving.
They aren’t. Injunctive relief is not favored and requires a showing of immediate and irreparable harm. The availability of monetary damages makes it hard to show irreparable harm.

What's making this thread so long is none of the 3 options are a no öööö slam dunk vs. the other 2.

I don't really have a favorite because I pick apart my own argument before I could write it down for you guys. Carry on, some of the thread is interesting.

Actually, this argument is past stupid. All several of us are doing is pointing out the world as it exists today. You or I don’t have to like it. I typically just post in GT history threads, and yes, I appreciate the CFB landscape in the Dodd era very much. But it is hard to envision any enthusiasm for a program that is slugging it out with Duke, BC, and Syracuse. Anyone with their finger on the pulse knows the ACC is in dire straits
Mostly agree with this post . . . not sure how it is responsive to mine.

They aren’t. Injunctive relief is not favored and requires a showing of immediate and irreparable harm. The availability of monetary damages makes it hard to show irreparable harm.
It is unlikely that monetary damages alone could remedy the harm done by their departure. Injunctive relief is often sought when actions are threathened which, once done, cannot effectively be undone. I think they would get an injunction. But again, I will defer to your legal background . . . which is???

It is unlikely that monetary damages alone could remedy the harm done by their departure. Injunctive relief is often sought when actions are threathened which, once done, cannot effectively be undone. I think they would get an injunction. But again, I will defer to your legal background . . . which is???
My legal background is that I do it for a living and have for quite a while.

My legal background is that I do it for a living and have for quite a while.
Me, too. 29 years as a practicing attorney, just like you are I guess. I say an injunction would be very possible. You say, no. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree, unless you can cite a precedent on point, or they actually try it (gee, wonder why they haven't?).

Auburn and UT were annual when I was in school, and that was less than 50 years ago. I guess you could argue we haven't played anyone regularly over the last 50 years other than UGA though.
True. Me too, but no longer and not since we became full members of the ACC back in the 80's. We haven't played them regularly in a long, long time.

I'm sorry, I would not have guessed from your posts. I will admit that I'm jealous. Would you care to share the year you received your JD, and whether you had any classes under Dershowitz, Arthur Miller, or Laurance Tribe? I attended a couple of visiting lectures by Miller and really enjoyed them . . . would love to have had any of those guys as a professor. Do you still practice? Anyway . . . congrats on a top-flight legal education!
You have to say it in Ace Ventura's voice.

Our problems are (1) money and (2) interest. If we were ever able to get to the SEC that fixes both problems. We will have money and a sudden schedule that is full of natural and historic rivals that our fans want to see is play (as well as opposing fans who would travel to Atlanta to see their teams play). It should be our #1 goal to get back in SEC.

B1G fixes one of the problems - money. It’s debatable whether overall interest would improve given the drop off of teams in the B1G once you get past their bluebloods. Particularly a concern with travel distances.

What I am 100% sure of is that sticking with the ACC is the path to a slow death. The money sucks and no one gives AF about seeing most of our conference. Seriously - when did you last year someone say “I’m really looking forward to that Pitt/UL/Wake/NCST/Syracuse/BC game”? NEVER because no one is going to watch that öööö unless their team is playing. They will, however, watch LSU, Alabama, or Tennessee play just because it’s on.
Money:
Being back in the SECheat would be living hell. But it won't happen. We don't even need to waste the keystrokes on it. I was in school the last time it came up and they said then, and it's even more true now, that GA Tech adds nothing to the conference they don't already have. The SECheat owns ATL and GA already. Why do they need us?

The same applies to Clemson, but even more so. SC is a small state with a small population (few TVs) that is not particularly good recruiting ground (that they already have in their footprint), and where they already have the flagship school. Why would they want to add Clemson? There is no need.

Same generally for FSU. Except for the 1980's, UF has been the equal or better program most years. The SECheat already recruits FL heavily, though there are enough TVs in FL to make them think about how many FSU might add. FSU fits them culturally very well. This one might be the only possibility of a future heist.

There is no way they would invite Miami. It does not fit their model of a large passionate fanbase, and the school just does not fit the culture of the SECheat. Again, UF has the state tied up and Miami adds very few TVs.

However, being AAU, the B1G might try to poach them though, as they need a door into FL recruiting. GA Tech and UNC are two others the B1G might try to lure away for the recruiting, but they just reeled in USC and UCLA. It won't happen for a few years and by then we'll see the direction this is all going.

Interest:
I agree, the SECheat would be as close to a 10 as possible, but BDS would be full of inbred heathen week after week. Did I say living hell?

If the ACC is a 4, the B1G might be a 6, maybe. However, as you typed, once you get past UoM, tOSU, and maybe MSU and PSU, there is very little interest down here. They are all just the same as UMD. And after doing that you have to go to those towns every other year in minus-30 degree weather. Nope.

You guys can wish for all that if you want. As for me, I'm hoping that the ACC gets a clue.

Mostly agree with this post . . . not sure how it is responsive to mine.
Well, you started asking people for their legal credentials. No I am not an attorney, but tell me how anyone (or any judge) could view one program leaving a conference would construe that as “irreparable harm”. I don’t recall any program signing anything stating they would never try and leave the ACC. The GOR, to my knowledge, is the only supposedly binding thing they signed. Any program would have the right to litigate that if they choose.

Back