Fire Patenuade

I mean, felt like may of had 2-3 TD passes miss wide open players
Agree 100%, but I don’t know what to make of that. We looked like a high school team trying to pass the ball out there. Is it not ultimately on the coach if the 4* QB is incapable of hitting wide open receivers?

Agree 100%, but I don’t know what to make of that. We looked like a high school team trying to pass the ball out there. Is it not ultimately on the coach if the 4* QB is incapable of hitting wide open receivers?

To an extent, but it's more of a shared aspect among other coaches than playcalling is. Even then, to me this felt like a panic under the lights kind of reaction on his part, not something that would of shown up in practice.

To go prolly too deep in guessing, I wonder if the big difference is now something is expected of Sims performance instead of the lower expectations when starting as a true freshman

Don’t think the OC is the problem. Offensive gameplan was actually sound, and the fact that the backup qb was able to come in down 14-0 on our own 3 and execute a gameplan and lead a comeback was a positive sign.

More concerned with defense and in game coaching decisions that impact our ability to win games
This is a lot of truth. The OC is showing himself to be a competent coach. I'm not saying the product exudes greatness, but I see competence in design and failure in execution.

The defense and game management look incompetent and confused. Obviously Collins cannot be let go unless we have some magical escape clause in the contract. Not a bad idea BTW, "less than 10 wins in 3 years and we can fire you for cause".

The only change that could be made would be to replace Thacker. However, the only guy on the whole staff who could actually do the job would be Collins himself. and he's already in over his head. It would be impossible to bring in someone outside the program, mid season, who could reasonably do any better.

We're stuck with this situation for now. Hopefully everyone can wake up and get it together starting next Saturday.

Starting to think we don't have a P5 staff other than Choice and Key. Dixon is a good recruiter but not seeing much from our recievers.

What is Weisehan doing? He coaches Tight Ends and offensive Special Teams.

Tight End?? Do we have one?

The damned plays were there for the most part. Boneheaded decisions by the QB and miscues on the line putting pressure on the QB were a much bigger problem than the gameplan. Sims looked like he had taken ambien.

Guys the game plan last not was not solid. For all the complaints on here about CPJ being stubborn about his system, I don't see how you can be blind to Pnope not adapting "his system" to the players he has. Granted, I don't think it is stubbornness on Pnope's part, I think it is inability. We ended last season with a lot of offensive talent on the roster in skill positions (including Oliver who got moved to defense and Graham who used the portal to get out of town); yet with Gibbs, Mason, Griffin, and Smith (any of which would probably start for NIU) still on the roster, we decided to rely on Sims arm instead of pounding NIU into submission. Maybe this regime is sensitive to fielding a run offense with a two back set; but that sure looks like what the roster is screaming for.

Patenaude’s offense is vanilla. Every team has our plays in the playbook. They know what’s coming just like the fans in the stands can see another delayed handoff to Gibbs 7 yards behind the LOS. Listen, Bama has different OC’s every year and every year they have plays I haven’t seen. They scheme to the players they have. Remember last year when they had Smith go in motion only to circle back time after time and make big plays. We run plays they run in rec league.

Would be a tough decision to defend after a game when your #1 QB goes down with an injury, regardless of how he was playing prior to.
Except that the back up came in and played better than the “starter” had in 11 starts. I’m no Yates fan boy, but IIWII. We supposedly recruited a top PRO style QB. He can’t crack the 3 deep and #3 is a Temple reject. Not sure what our options are for that.

As far as OC’s go and OL coaches, we better find a couple quick. This group can’t coach. They supposedly got SEC plug in contributors via the transfer portal, but they looked worse than the non-P5 guys we already had.

We’ve got the best roster in more than a decade. It’s one of 3 options- all on the coaches, a combo, or the players have no business being no the field. Take your pick.

The plays were there, but you have to be smart enough to call plays that your personnel can actually execute. We should have started with simpler throws.

It really seems like our prep was practice to do what we do and not to beat the team we were playing because we expect to win. That backfired when the team could not execute what we wanted to do schematically and the other staff dug in to find ways to beat us (had their team prepared to beat Georgia Tech) and developed a good plan. Then for a large part of the game our players played as prepared (we should just beat this team).

When we were good under GOL one of the reasons was especially because the staff prepping the team to exploit the favorable matchups. This was tough against teams like FSU because we had few favorable matchups.

When we had good teams under CPJ the offense especially had plans and changes as the other team reacted. This is how coaching football works.

We aren’t seeing this IMO from this staff. I know the idea of turning over the roster has been considered tough from the last staff, that is understandable. I don’t see much prep from our coaches of how we are working to beat the team we are playing each week. I just see this is what we do and we still have no answer for a basic zone run on D, doesn’t matter if we are playing Clemson or Norther Illinois. We are not great on the DL but the players are athletically good enough to line up and stop zone blocking left,rb pick the hole against the team we played yesterday. We couldn’t. Drop everybody and continue to rush three on passing downs. Please shoot me.

Vanilla game plan on both sides. Alabama is good enough to line up and submit the other team playing their game but their coaches still work to beat the other team in what that team is trying to do. The coaches must do more for the kids and give them a plan to win. When that one doesn’t work have a backup plan or three. Otherwise it’s not coaching, it’s just a pickup game.

OC was not the problem last night. The play calling drastically changed after Sims missed on the first 2 drives. Then Sims fumbles the following drive. I thought DP did a good job at sticking with the run 2nd-4th quarter and then took a few shots when the NIU defense sucked in. We wasted our first 4 drives (2 missed FGS, Fumble, and Turnover on downs) because of failure to make simple throws and "easy" FGs according to Geoff.

Guys the game plan last not was not solid. For all the complaints on here about CPJ being stubborn about his system, I don't see how you can be blind to Pnope not adapting "his system" to the players he has. Granted, I don't think it is stubbornness on Pnope's part, I think it is inability. We ended last season with a lot of offensive talent on the roster in skill positions (including Oliver who got moved to defense and Graham who used the portal to get out of town); yet with Gibbs, Mason, Griffin, and Smith (any of which would probably start for NIU) still on the roster, we decided to rely on Sims arm instead of pounding NIU into submission. Maybe this regime is sensitive to fielding a run offense with a two back set; but that sure looks like what the roster is screaming for.

Patenaude was trying to get Sims game experience throwing the ball to prep for future games. He wasn’t just calling plays from the start just to win.

Bama probably could’ve beat Miami just running the ball but they didn’t because they we’re taking advantage of live play to prep for more difficult opponents.

As soon as CDP realized Sims had the yips he pivoted towards just running the ball, but it’s clear he expected to work through runs and passes to prep for real opponents.

The problem is Sims turned into 1999 chuck knoblauch and was hitting Olbermann’s mom in the face with every pass.

Back