Is this what Chan Gailey was like?

If you don’t see the improvement it’s because you don’t want to see it.
IMG_5468.jpeg

I may regret this late night post, but the best that I can recall of Chan, was that he could recruit some decent players, and he could talk some positive talk in front of the cameras. He also was consistently 7-5 every damn year. Sure one , hell maybe two of those years he beat the 7-5 average, but never cracked 10 wins in a season. Anyway, that was ~17 years ago. I'm going to go cry myself to sleep.

Reggie Ball
Taylor Bennett
Aj Suggs.

What other QB’s did Chan have? The point is, they were all really bad. If he had even an average QB he would have turned the corner in wins.

It’s mind boggling how it was the one position he couldn’t develop. It seemed we had NFL talent everywhere else at some point.

For the young people. the Way of Chan means you will win 1 you should not, then lose 2-3 you should win, then lose to uga. but have no fear, in the end it will balance out to 7-6 or 8-5 season, get a öööö bowl.. every f'ing year, EVERY F'ING YEAR. Don't look for that awesome season every 3 years we got under CPJ..
Sounds like current coach so far. Hopefully he can get us to a ööööty bowl this year. I'm just glad we have that schedule excuse that we can fall back on. We won't have that next year.

Sounds like current coach so far. Hopefully he can get us to a ööööty bowl this year. I'm just glad we have that schedule excuse that we can fall back on. We won't have that next year.
So playing better teams doesn’t cause you to lose more games? And you are assuming we’ll need an excuse next year because we’re goi g to lose the same number of games to worse teams?

Fresno State was a good football team back then with a lot of upsets. Certainly better than MTSU.

So we lost to a great Duke team in 2014?

I wouldn't care if we lost to Duke twice a year if they were our only losses.

Reggie Ball
Taylor Bennett
Aj Suggs.

What other QB’s did Chan have? The point is, they were all really bad. If he had even an average QB he would have turned the corner in wins.

It’s mind boggling how it was the one position he couldn’t develop. It seemed we had NFL talent everywhere else at some point.
Best analysis.

He had the same problem in the NFL with Mark Sanchez and Vince Young, Yuck! Yes, he had late-career Troy Aikman in Dallas. But Aikman is the most overrated QB in NFL history and couldn't even complete 60 persent of his passes at that point. He was not a good QB at leaast by the time Chan got him.

6 years.

He put up 6 points against Wake Forest with Calvin Johnson and Tashard Choice on his team. That was everything you need to know
i agree but you also need to know he hired nix as offensive coordinator - enough said.

Everyone acts like Chan was here for a decade and couldn't get over the hump. It was 5 years. Yes, we lost a lot of close games, but we also had to deal with a significant portion of our team being declared ineligible and lost the most dynamic RB we had since ELI
7 years

If I had to sum up Chan’s legacy at Tech. Decent coach, much better man. Helped recruit arguably the best talent we’ve ever had at GT within a 5 year span. Never could quite get over the hump of beating UGA (04-06) But left the cupboard full for CPJ to beat UGA and win the ACC within two years.

Reggie Ball
Taylor Bennett
Aj Suggs.

Chan was also responsible for the foundational players on O CPJ inherited. Most notably, Nesbitt, Dwyer, Thomas (RIP), Roddy Jones. No one knows how Nesbitt would have done in a traditional pro-style O, but he was a machine running the spread option O.

Had the Portal been a thing in 2008, who knows how many players would have stayed. Based on what Roddy has said on XM Radio, the “buy in” when CPJ first arrived moving to that O wasn’t there. But once it clicked, they were glad they stayed as a group from that 2007 recruiting class.

Fresno State was a good football team back then with a lot of upsets. Certainly better than MTSU.

So we lost to a great Duke team in 2014?
The refs sucked that game. Also JT got his ankle gator rolled by a scummy Duke player..

If I had to sum up Chan’s legacy at Tech. Decent coach, much better man. Helped recruit arguably the best talent we’ve ever had at GT within a 5 year span. Never could quite get over the hump of beating UGA (04-06) But left the cupboard full for CPJ to beat UGA and win the ACC within two years.
I disagree. The recruiting GT had under O’Leary pre ratings services was much higher. ESPN even credited Bill O’Brien as National Recruiter of the Year back in the late 90’s. Look at some of the players GT had under O’Leary (pre stupid APR) and I’d say it’s more comparable to 2007 and the current class.

What Chan and his staff did was take 2-3* rated players and turn them into All ACC talent. OL Gardner was an example. A 2* with 1 FBS offer and ended up one of the best OL GT had.

Vance Walker. 1* recruit who GT kept from switching to VT late after a VT offer. Ended up in the NFL.

Chan has been credited for being the 1st CFB HC to hire a GM (not going to name who, you can Google the ESPN article) that was eventually picked up by Saban and everyone else. So GT was actually ahead of the curve at one time thanks to CCG.

GT’s downfall on the trail for a while was due to the corrupt NCAA implementing APR (which is not fair to all schools). Thankfully that’s all but gone.

I disagree. The recruiting GT had under O’Leary pre ratings services was much higher. ESPN even credited Bill O’Brien as National Recruiter of the Year back in the late 90’s. Look at some of the players GT had under O’Leary (pre stupid APR) and I’d say it’s more comparable to 2007 and the current class.

What Chan and his staff did was take 2-3* rated players and turn them into All ACC talent. OL Gardner was an example. A 2* with 1 FBS offer and ended up one of the best OL GT had.

Vance Walker. 1* recruit who GT kept from switching to VT late after a VT offer. Ended up in the NFL.

Chan has been credited for being the 1st CFB HC to hire a GM (not going to name who, you can Google the ESPN article) that was eventually picked up by Saban and everyone else. So GT was actually ahead of the curve at one time thanks to CCG.

GT’s downfall on the trail for a while was due to the corrupt NCAA implementing APR (which is not fair to all schools). Thankfully that’s all but gone.
3* Calvin Johnson?

Back