No we are not in The Top 25.

Key will have the boys locked and loaded Saturday. I’m reading all the doomers who are nervous that we’re playing a competent team. Our boys are more than competent. I’m not expecting the usual GT let down. We may lose, but it won’t be for lack of focus or effort. But we’re not losing.

We actually played FSU better than BC IMO. FSU played a good clean game against us. They had multiple miscues, overthrows, drops, dumb penalties, turnovers, looked like they didn't want to be there, etc. against BC.

Against FSU:
Yards per rush: GT 5.3 / BC 5.1
Yards per pass attempt: GT 9.1 / BC 6.6
Yards per play: GT 6.5 / BC 5.4
Defensive yards per play: GT 5.0 / BC 5.1
Defensive TFL's: GT 7 / BC 4

We were better in every category even when FSU played a much better game against us. Don't forget the scores could have been different also. We missed a long but makeable FG and FSU made two very long ones. That would have been a 9 point swing if we make ours and they miss their two. Our game with them looks a lot different if the score was 27-15 which it very easily could have been with the exact same stat lines.
Wow, pretty interesting data here.

If you take FSU's first drive against GT out of the equation, before we adjusted, the games looked pretty similar offensively and defensively. They had about the same rushing yards against us after the first drive as they had against BC. And BC had tape of our adjustments that worked

DJU and the FSU receivers performed a lot better against us, and from what I saw a lot of that had little to do with the BC and GT defenses. DJ hit open receivers against us and they caught the ball. He was crazily inaccurate against BC even with open receivers, and then they had the drops. Because DJ and the receivers played better against us, FSU held the ball equal time against us instead of getting doubled up on in TOP like against BC. Their D was completely worn out by the end of the BC game, and I think much more demoralized than against us b/c now it was two consecutive games of not being able to stop the run whatsoever.

Another thing is that Norvell made one of the dumbest coaching calls I've ever seen against BC going for a 4th and 5 on his own side of the field early in the second half on a night when his QB was colder than a polar bear's toenails. He didn't do anything nearly that stupid against us.

Ohio won 10 games last season. Beat Bowling Green 38-7
Yeah Ohio is one of the best MAC programs. They were 10-4 in 2022 as well.

But they didn't have a 255 yard rushing game in either of the last two seasons, so that's a little hopeful.

Nevertheless, this game scares me. GT freshly ranked and 2.5 point road favorites is not a situation we've typically thrived in, pretty much ever, that I can recall.

Wow, pretty interesting data here.

If you take FSU's first drive against GT out of the equation, before we adjusted, the games looked pretty similar offensively and defensively. They had about the same rushing yards against us after the first drive as they had against BC. And BC had tape of our adjustments that worked

DJU and the FSU receivers performed a lot better against us, and from what I saw a lot of that had little to do with the BC and GT defenses. DJ hit open receivers against us and they caught the ball. He was crazily inaccurate against BC even with open receivers, and then they had the drops. Because DJ and the receivers played better against us, FSU held the ball equal time against us instead of getting doubled up on in TOP like against BC. Their D was completely worn out by the end of the BC game, and I think much more demoralized than against us b/c now it was two consecutive games of not being able to stop the run whatsoever.

Another thing is that Norvell made one of the dumbest coaching calls I've ever seen against BC going for a 4th and 5 on his own side of the field early in the second half on a night when his QB was colder than a polar bear's toenails. He didn't do anything nearly that stupid against us.

Oh hell there he goes again talkin that öööö

Of the two teams that went to Ireland, one came home and took care of business. The other had two extra days and laid an egg. I like what I’m seeing from our guys.
That's not fair to F$U. They lost in Ireland because of jet lag. But what everybody forgot about is they had to fly back to Florida in time for the BC game so they had even more jet lag which is why they got pasted by BC.

Yes but McCord is the real deal. And we're playing almost in Canada. You-know-who was our coach on our last visit there and we didn't do so well.

That is the only time in 5 tries that Syracuse has beaten us. I don't think many of us are expecting to blow them out, but I think we win by 10'ish. We've been burned by the past few years but it's time to start expecting to win these types of games.

You were soooo close. '08 #9 Clemson dropped out after losing to Bama 34-10. (TCU was #11 last year and dropped out after losing to the Neons.)
I was at that game. Bama was AP #24, unranked in the coaches' poll, coming off of a 7-6 season in Saban's first year. That game was the coming-out party of the Saban era. A prelude of what they'd look like for the next decade and a half. In hindsight it was an obvious result but we were surprised at the time.

Back