Official Coordinators Search And News Thread

My view remains the same. If I were an experienced OC, for instance. I don't think I would trust my career to a new head coach, that has less experience than I do. I run a whole department, for almost a billion dollar company, so I do know a thing or two about managing. You teach people how to do the job and let them do it. However; I can drop into any position, should I ever need to. I can do that because I wrote the playbook on how to do the job. That has led to nothing but success. Maybe I am looking at this from a wrong point a view. Maybe being a head coach is like being the president, you can be just a puppet and let everyone else do the work.

This is a really interesting sentence.

So if you were an experienced OC, you would be looking for a head coach who can teach you how to be an OC? I feel like as an experienced OC, you'd want a head coach who understands you already know how to be an OC and will not try to teach you something you already know. You'd want a head coach who is hiring you precisely because you know how to do the job and he thinks you are really good at it.

I do agree with what you're saying about an experienced OC possibly hesitating to trust his career to a new head coach. But that's not because he'd be worried the new head coach knows less about being an OC than him. It's because he's worried that the new head coach might not be very good at doing what a head coach is supposed to do, which is considerably different than what an OC is supposed to do.

Obviously this might change if the head coach wants to run the offense himself and expects the OC to simply support him in that. As far as I can tell though, that's the opposite of the way football is moving -- it seems like the trend is for the HCs to be CEO-types and let the coordinators have a lot of independence.

My view remains the same. If I were an experienced OC, for instance. I don't think I would trust my career to a new head coach, that has less experience than I do. I run a whole department, for almost a billion dollar company, so I do know a thing or two about managing. You teach people how to do the job and let them do it. However; I can drop into any position, should I ever need to. I can do that because I wrote the playbook on how to do the job. That has led to nothing but success. Maybe I am looking at this from a wrong point a view. Maybe being a head coach is like being the president, you can be just a puppet and let everyone else do the work.
You definitely let everybody else do the work, but that doesn't mean you are a puppet. Was GOL a puppet? Of course not. Did Ralph Friedgen know more about offense, and probably football in general, than GOL? Damn right he did. And GOL didn't micromanage Fridge, nor did Fridge tell GOL how to run the team. Collins apparently micromanaged everybody, including those who knew more about what they were hired to do than he did.

But, maybe I am just built different.
D33C1738-A8F0-4AB0-846A-B794CE7AC1B0.jpeg

This is a really interesting sentence.

So if you were an experienced OC, you would be looking for a head coach who can teach you how to be an OC? I feel like as an experienced OC, you'd want a head coach who understands you already know how to be an OC and will not try to teach you something you already know. You'd want a head coach who is hiring you precisely because you know how to do the job and he thinks you are really good at it.

I do agree with what you're saying about an experienced OC possibly hesitating to trust his career to a new head coach. But that's not because he'd be worried the new head coach knows less about being an OC than him. It's because he's worried that the new head coach might not be very good at doing what a head coach is supposed to do, which is considerably different than what an OC is supposed to do.

Obviously this might change if the head coach wants to run the offense himself and expects the OC to simply support him in that. As far as I can tell though, that's the opposite of the way football is moving -- it seems like the trend is for the HCs to be CEO-types and let the coordinators have a lot of independence.
There are boomers that actually believe the head coach can drop into any given position group and teach them perfect fundamentals as if they came directly from a veteran position coach, yes. Same with offensive and defensive play calling from coordinators. Everything. If anything they should realize this is actually dysfunctional after the Collins experiment. Let people do their jobs and if they don’t, replace them.

As usual. I have an opinion different and in true liberal, lefty fashion, the mob comes out. I refuse to be attacked and insulted for having another opinion. I will only respond to worthy replies. If you want to have a conversation, we can do that. If you want to act childish and throw insults, I will just ignore you and move on.
I’m going to guess you are ex-military and work in a civilian field where the boss did/does basically the same thing as the employees with some added management responsibilities.

Interesting to me that the different leadership described in this discussion are all correct and also incorrect - it depends on the specific leader and the specific individual being directed and what the SPECIFIC task is. I went through situational leadership training multiple times in my career and it was absolutely the best, most practical training I have ever had - truly transformational. It isn't something learned as a leader in a short time, it is learned from success and failures and through reinforcement, more critical the higher up in the organization you go.

Delegating a task/project to top tier talent without understanding their capability for a particular activity can be just as bad as giving almost anything to someone with less talent. This is especially true for someone promoted into a new, broader role. They would not have gotten the promotion if they didn't have capability - it doesn't mean they are the best at everything under their new responsibilities when they start the role, or ever even should be. In fact, a good leader of leaders (AD, HC and coordinator), or a front line leader knows/learns what they are good at and what they need on their teams to be a better overall performing unit.

While the terminology has changed some over the years, whether the leader is directive, coaching, supporting, or delegating (moving up the scale in the abilities of the person/team) is critical to success both in the short term and the long term. I wish I had learned this 10 years earlier in my career.

it's just normal human behavior for homosapiens to fear change....
So i'm not surprised to see many players and fans happy to keep the interim.
Key will grow in my eyes if he cleans house. All of them.
still i'll be happy with what he decides.
IMHO OC/OL/DL/ST seem obvious

It's been rumored and even mentioned by Joe Hamilton on the radio that Weinke was calling plays for the last 2 games. I have no doubt that Weinke was more involved in the game plan and may have been responsible for it, but I know for a fact Long was calling the plays against UGAg. I saw him with the play sheet making the calls into the headset for the signal guys to send in. I never saw Weinke make them.
Anybody that watched Weinke in college knows he was Billy the Kid with a football. Man could do the best fakes and sling the rock like it was nobody's business. Coach like you play.

Back