Official Coordinators Search And News Thread

Weinke, Semore, Knight, and Turner, based on performance and public comments, seem like shoe ins to stay on.

Thacker made himself a lot of money, too, whether it be here or another P5 gig.

Weinke, Semore, Knight, and Turner, based on performance and public comments, seem like shoe ins to stay on.

Thacker made himself a lot of money, too, whether it be here or another P5 gig.

Dang I really hope we keep Thacker. In addition to fielding a defense that doesn't depress me, he's just got a damn fine name for a DC.

I’d be shocked if the OC stays. Weinke seems safe. Dunno about the rest of the offensive staff. TE seems like a major point of weakness

Need a ST coach (and a punter). Punting game murdered us all year on both sides.

Don’t we have a guy in staff that’s supposed to be a star recruiter? (Can always use more, of course.)

I feel OK about the defense, though personnel will be an issue with graduations and probably some DBs transferring. Addition by subtraction on defense after firing Collins.

JRjr

Dang I really hope we keep Thacker. In addition to fielding a defense that doesn't depress me, he's just got a damn fine name for a DC.
I’ve always been a Thacker fan. He just strikes me as the type of employee where if you tell him to eat a bag of hammers he’ll come back with the hammers and a bag of nails asking if he should eat them, too.

Long should go. He didn't have a lot to work with, but he didn't do much with it, either. Thacker, I really liked from the beginning and I am glad he has gotten a bit of redemption. But if Key thinks he can upgrade there, he has to. Tillman is a keeper. Key loves Semore, so I feel like he's going to find a spot for him. Of course, there is the chance that a couple guys could get new opportunities, too.

Step 1.5: Don't hire Weinke to replace him. Maybe harder to find negative stuff on him, just for the love of god give us a clean slate on that side of the ball.
No confirmation on this, but I heard that Weinke is the one who prepared Gibson and the Clemson transfer (can't spell his name) for both the UNC and COFH games.

I've changed my mind on Thacker. I believe he should stay. According to ESPN FPI, the defense finished in the top 30 in the country. We were at #100 last year. That's pretty dang good improvement. Had to be GC micromanagement issue.

Fire Long and make Weinke OC.
Elevate Chaney to OL coach.
Bring back Choice as RB coach. (Since Key may take less money it will free some money up for assistants)
Keep Thacker as DC and the rest of the defensive staff.
Hire a ST coordinator.
I want Choice to rise through the ranks elsewhere, and eventually come back to GT as the next HC.

No confirmation on this, but I heard that Weinke is the one who prepared Gibson and the Clemson transfer (can't spell his name) for both the UNC and COFH games.
Which is a unique situation unlikely to be repeated. We debated endlessly if 8 games were enough to judge someone, we gonna grab a guy after 2? We thinking the chance of getting someone else who is an OC is nil?

Back