Official Coordinators Search And News Thread

I’d be shocked if the OC stays. Weinke seems safe. Dunno about the rest of the offensive staff. TE seems like a major point of weakness

Need a ST coach (and a punter). Punting game murdered us all year on both sides.

Don’t we have a guy in staff that’s supposed to be a star recruiter? (Can always use more, of course.)

I feel OK about the defense, though personnel will be an issue with graduations and probably some DBs transferring. Addition by subtraction on defense after firing Collins.

JRjr
OC was also the TE coach. I'm not really against Weinke staying, but don't think I want him as OC unless he's really the best we can do.

I've changed my mind on Thacker. I believe he should stay. According to ESPN FPI, the defense finished in the top 30 in the country. We were at #100 last year. That's pretty dang good improvement. Had to be GC micromanagement issue.

Agree.

I was a ruthless Thacker critic. The difference with Geoff gone was as clear as white moonshine and I owe Thacker an apology. Now... will he look so hot when Charlie Thomas, Ace Eley and Keion are in the NFL? Let's find out.

Give Kenyatta a corner office.

Beg DMo to return. Pour ashes on our heads, sell whatever possessions we must, and sledgehammer our idols to see this become reality.

Beg Tashard to return. Promise him the AD's parking space and tell him he's probably not tough enough to coach here.

Offer Jamey Chadwell double his CCU salary to be OC. (still less than Tony Elliot made)

Hire a special teams coordinator.

Urban Meyer as offensive analyst. Offer a lifetime stipend to his daughter on the condition that we win a natty.

Corey Dennis as QB coach. See above.

Steve Spurrier as recruiter for the opportunity to piss on UGA cheerios.

Weinke prepared our starting and backup qb for all of our games.
Some clarification on what I posted, although it is also unconfirmed,. Weinke apparently essentially took over the entire offense for those final 2 games. Again, that is unconfirmed, but seeing the massive difference in the O in those two games from the others, it sure sounds reasonable.

Which is a unique situation unlikely to be repeated. We debated endlessly if 8 games were enough to judge someone, we gonna grab a guy after 2? We thinking the chance of getting someone else who is an OC is nil?
I have no answer for that, but it was obvious to me that Long was clueless at times.

Agree.

I was a ruthless Thacker critic. The difference with Geoff gone was as clear as white moonshine and I owe Thacker an apology. Now... will he look so hot when Charlie Thomas, Ace Eley and Keion are in the NFL? Let's find out.

Most of us owe Thacker an apology. The first clue was when he was retained last year despite a staff overhaul.

images

1669773156458.jpeg

I would think any outside hires will be guys he’s coached with before. I’d start there if you want to try and figure out who it is before he does.

Not a fan of any of them.
Turnover the apple cart.
Start anew.
FFS, GT hired Key because of the improvement of the team which required at least some of the coaches we have to have done a decent job. There is no way Key alone coached the entire team into beating the top 3 Coastal teams.

In one ööööing week we went from being on every "bottom X teams" to beating Pitt, right? The defense looked like a different team entirely. Someone over there knows how to coach but was osmosising dumbness from Collins. The offense had times where they looked halfway decent. It looks like to me Weinke is a heckuva pickup and imho keeping him is one of the bonuses of Key landing the position.

The last thing we need to do is hire a hodgepodge and spend years finding out which hires suck. Key will know who is deadweight, and anyone he keeps will be solid. That I know.

FFS, GT hired Key because of the improvement of the team which required at least some of the coaches we have to have done a decent job. There is no way Key alone coached the entire team into beating the top 3 Coastal teams.

In one ööööing week we went from being on every "bottom X teams" to beating Pitt, right? The defense looked like a different team entirely. Someone over there knows how to coach but was osmosising dumbness from Collins. The offense had times where they looked halfway decent. It looks like to me Weinke is a heckuva pickup and imho keeping him is one of the bonuses of Key landing the position.

The last thing we need to do is hire a hodgepodge and spend years finding out which hires suck. Key will know who is deadweight, and anyone he keeps will be solid. That I know.
I don’t
The big thing Key did was what any half decent coach would and should have done - changed the way the team practiced
Under Clown, there’s no indication we prepared for what other teams did. Under Key, we practiced to compete in games. After 3 years of watching Clown’s utter disaster, even mere competence looks sparkling by comparison

Back