Other Schools' Coaching Changes [Now with Colorado's Deion]

Wes and Roddy just led their show with saying how unlikely and not a good fit that Deion is. I’m still optimistic.
Did they say why he would be a bad fit? I didn't like Wes' takes when he was with Packer...just softballs kissing up the Geff

Did they say why he would be a bad fit? I didn't like Wes' takes when he was with Packer...just softballs kissing up the Geff
One thing they mentioned was Deion’s lack of academic success, which is weird. They both said that is important in a Tech coach. Seemed like more of a slight to Deion than anything.

The idea with Deion is he's the CEO head coach. The recruiter. The sizzle. The public face. And then you hire a top flight expensive staff. The Sam Pittman model at Arkansas, but more urban and hip and hop and less rural and country.

The reaction I've heard is ... GT needs Deion more than Deion needs GT. If Deion is going to go to GT, GT has to commit to win at the highest levels from the President down to the staff down to the coaching pools down to the facilities. They question if GT is committed enough to win at the Institutional level. I think Coach Prime is just the guy to raise enough hell at GT to get what needs to be changed changed and money thrown where it needs to be thrown. If JSU didn't have it ... he yelled until he got it. I could see having somebody being willing to be abrasive towards The Hill when necessary could be a very good thing.

We just fired the last guy who embodied this model
Yea, there is no problem with that model. You just have to be able to coach. He couldn't figure that part out.

I'm not sure that's totally true, wasn't Geoff sold as a great defensive coach? I know he was big on branding and stuff but he was certainly supposed to bring "elite" coaching ability himself as well.

We brought his "elite" protege at DC and hired a very expensive OL coach as AHC. So, we went half way?

The idea with Deion is he's the CEO head coach. The recruiter. The sizzle. The public face. And then you hire a top flight expensive staff. The Sam Pittman model at Arkansas, but more urban and hip and hop and less rural and country.

The reaction I've heard is ... GT needs Deion more than Deion needs GT. If Deion is going to go to GT, GT has to commit to win at the highest levels from the President down to the staff down to the coaching pools down to the facilities. They question if GT is committed enough to win at the Institutional level. I think Coach Prime is just the guy to raise enough hell at GT to get what needs to be changed changed and money thrown where it needs to be thrown. If JSU didn't have it ... he yelled until he got it. I could see having somebody being willing to be abrasive towards The Hill when necessary could be a very good thing.
The fact that Deion would be our first black head coach might motivate the Hill to give him what he wants.

The fact that Deion would be our first black head coach might motivate the Hill to give him what he wants.
This. I'm looking at the school to make the "woke" hire on the AD job. I'm thinking a woman, probably a black woman. Hiring a black head coach in Atlanta is the next logical step. Maybe these woke kids can do something good for a change.

Back