Other Schools' Coaching Changes [Now with Colorado's Deion]

Why is GT better than Auburn for recruiting? Auburn is close enough to target Ga heavily, has more majors, doesn't have the academic restrictions, and has better booster support for NIL.
I hope I don't turn into a broken record, but I do not believe you have the creativity to be successful at turning GT into a premier team.

Cabrera can address academic restrictions if he is serious. Part of our booster support problem is Alumni Association driven and he can address that too. Close enough is very different from being in Atlanta. Auburn cant have unofficial visits literally every day like we could. There is so much we could do that we simply don't have the creativity to do it

I don't discount the majors issue, but short term I think we can sell MGT as a massively valuable degree that you can do almost anything with. Long term Cabrera has to get us some help there, which is why my visceral reaction to that proposed AD is not good but my brain is thinking he is the devil we need to push back against the BOR. If the jealous UGA homers on the BOR want to continue to öööö us over his trump card is to go to the capital and make us independent from the BOR.

Why is GT better than Auburn for recruiting? Auburn is close enough to target Ga heavily, has more majors, doesn't have the academic restrictions, and has better booster support for NIL.
Auburn is recruiting to fire a coach who is 3-1 and 1-0 in the SEC. This same coach took them to a bowl game last year. They fired their previous coach who had a .650 winning percentage because he went 5-4. If you coach at Auburn, “success“ means being better than Alabama and winning the national championship. Anything less is mediocre to poor.

Meanwhile at GT, we just kept a coach 3 seasons who won 3 games / season, frequently losing by 40+ points per game. Take GT to a bowl game in the first two years, and songs will be written about your genius as a coach.

If you’re a coach looking for the next step in your career (not necesssarily the final step), which is more appealing?

Oh, no.

I thought you were saying - why can't we use our billions from endowment to pay for a better coaching staff?
If you want to "use the billions from the endowment to pay the coaching staff" it can be done.

Bullshit you say?

Nope, easy. Maybe you can't raid the already in money, but you talk to this years' donors and unless they hate sports you ask them to move this year's donation to the AA and you give them incentives to do it if necessary (like credit for whatever that is worth for the donation in both places).

I'd be shocked if Neon chose Tech over Auburn. We can't even remotely compete with the contract they would offer Neon. The only thing going for us is that Harsin has slightly improved this year record-wise (and it's a bad look to make a change now). That being said, Auburn's upcoming schedule is brutal. That record will not withstand. I highly doubt they finish with a winning record this year.

I'd be shocked if Neon chose Tech over Auburn. We can't even remotely compete with the contract they would offer Neon. The only thing going for us is that Harsin has slightly improved this year record-wise (and it's a bad look to make a change now). That being said, Auburn's upcoming schedule is brutal. That record will not withstand. I highly doubt they finish with a winning record this year.
Why do you assume we can't compete with the contract? That assumption has to come from not believing what Cabrera said and assuming Auburn has a list of candidates with only Deion on it.

With unlimited funds, Deion is no longer your candidate IMHO. With unlimited funds, the guy at Kansas comes into play, no?

Cabrera said we have to do things differently and make athletics priority. If he means what he said then we need to stop with the can’ts.

It is crazy how much the thinking around protective equipment has changed in the past 20-30 years. At the rate things are changing, they won’t be wearing pads at all in another 20 years.
So rugby, then.

Please. When has Tech athletics had unlimited funds to do anything? We can't even pay assistants. That's just lip service.

Don't get me wrong. Would love to have Neon as our coach. We are well positioned since we are only one of 3 current vacancies (and there is no way Neon is going to Nebraska or ASU) and Norvell has turned it around.

If you want to "use the billions from the endowment to pay the coaching staff" it can be done.

Bullshit you say?

Nope, easy. Maybe you can't raid the already in money, but you talk to this years' donors and unless they hate sports you ask them to move this year's donation to the AA and you give them incentives to do it if necessary (like credit for whatever that is worth for the donation in both places).
The key thing to realize is that we are not currently limited by the restrictions the NCAA places on schools helping athletics. We're hamstrung by the fact that we go away further than those restrictions, e.g. the school actively excludes the AA from donation campaigns.

Even just doing things the NCAA allows and are commonplace without getting super "creative" would be a huge help.

Gibbs was easily the most talented football player that has been on this campus since CJ21. A guy with a legit NFL career ahead of him, which would have been huge to have affiliated with our program as an elite football alumni.
Other honorable mentions for best players in past 15 years being BayBay, Waller, Butker, Morgan Burnett and Derrick Morgan. However, I do think Gibbs is the best football player of this bunch.
Umm, I think Gibbs is going to be an OK NFL players. I also think everyone you mentioned is a better football player. Slight in some cases but better. I think 4 might be team HOF type players and I don’t expect Gibbs to be that good.

Umm, I think Gibbs is going to be an OK NFL players. I also think everyone you mentioned is a better football player. Slight in some cases but better. I think 4 might be team HOF type players and I don’t expect Gibbs to be that good.

Agreed. The amount of adoration people have on ST for Gibbs is absurd. Mason was just as effective as he was. Very little love for him. To mention that Gibbs is more talented than Bay Bay, Waller, Burnett, and Morgan is ridiculous. He's not being mocked as the top RB in the draft. Many don't have him even going in the first round. His talent is far from "generational."

Agreed. The amount of adoration people have on ST for Gibbs is absurd. Mason was just as effective as he was. Very little love for him. To mention that Gibbs is more talented than Bay Bay, Waller, Burnett, and Morgan is ridiculous. He's not being mocked as the top RB in the draft. Many don't have him even going in the first round. His talent is far from "generational."
If given a choice, who do you choose?

1) Jon Dwyer as a freshman or sophomore
2) Jahmyr Gibbs as a freshman or sophomore

Rhetorical question: Dwyer

IMO, Dwyer still has the best HS film of any prospect we have ever landed

I concur. I had Mason as an equal to Gibbs and sure enough he is now collecting a NFL paycheck.

As to the Cabrera factor and changing Tech's commitment, I will believe it when I see us overrecruit a player one year and have to ask someone to leave or take a grey shirt. There are all kinds of things that the big boys do that we choose to not do.

If given a choice, who do you choose?

1) Jon Dwyer as a freshman or sophomore
2) Jahmyr Gibbs as a freshman or sophomore

Rhetorical question: Dwyer

IMO, Dwyer still has the best HS film of any prospect we have ever landed
Way more complete back imho. Dwyer could jack up a blitzing corner.

I hope I don't turn into a broken record, but I do not believe you have the creativity to be successful at turning GT into a premier team.

Cabrera can address academic restrictions if he is serious. Part of our booster support problem is Alumni Association driven and he can address that too. Close enough is very different from being in Atlanta. Auburn cant have unofficial visits literally every day like we could. There is so much we could do that we simply don't have the creativity to do it

I don't discount the majors issue, but short term I think we can sell MGT as a massively valuable degree that you can do almost anything with. Long term Cabrera has to get us some help there, which is why my visceral reaction to that proposed AD is not good but my brain is thinking he is the devil we need to push back against the BOR. If the jealous UGA homers on the BOR want to continue to öööö us over his trump card is to go to the capital and make us independent from the BOR.

So youre saying gt COULD be better, but you agree that it's not better now? In other words, you agree with everything I said but believe Cabrera will fix them

I concur. I had Mason as an equal to Gibbs and sure enough he is now collecting a NFL paycheck.

As to the Cabrera factor and changing Tech's commitment, I will believe it when I see us overrecruit a player one year and have to ask someone to leave or take a grey shirt. There are all kinds of things that the big boys do that we choose to not do.
Is that even happening at Bama anymore? Is anyone even taking 25 now? With the open portal it seems insane to take 25 a year when you have the 85 cap. With the open portal the 85 cap is the end-all be-all.

Way more complete back imho. Dwyer could jack up a blitzing corner.

Funny, Dwyer didn't make it in the NFL because he could not jack up anybody.

If Tech wins three or four games, the job won't be as alluring to Deon as it could be if we go 1-11.? Either way, I think we'd be a quick stepping stone for Deon if he came to Tech.

So youre saying gt COULD be better, but you agree that it's not better now? In other words, you agree with everything I said but believe Cabrera will fix them
No, for example, academic restrictions are probably already gone.

Also, everyone seemed to be resigned that we didn't have the money to fire dipshit until Dec 31. Where the money comes from is always secretive, but in one day we suck up a huge buyout and Cabrera say GT is going to get behind GT athletics financially.

We can't know the money is fixed, or to what extent it has changed, but to act like or assume it is "not better now" is ignorant and asinine. Things are very different today versus saturday. I 100% know that. Are there some things still left to do to remove all "restrictions"? Sure.

Funny, Dwyer didn't make it in the NFL because he could not jack up anybody.

If Tech wins three or four games, the job won't be as alluring to Deon as it could be if we go 1-11.? Either way, I think we'd be a quick stepping stone for Deon if he came to Tech.
Fat Dwyer couldn't jack up what he couldnt get to.

Back