Other Schools' Coaching Changes [Now with Colorado's Deion]

Here’s the thing - at the swac level Deion can get 1 or 2 top recruits and that is enough to beat everyone else on their level. It doesn’t cost much to focus recruiting on just a few guys. At Colorado, he’s going to need a team full of them to run the table. Colorado doesn’t have the money like Alabama and Georgia to do that.

Some real deep thinking here.

$5 million a year is a PEDESTRIAN NCAA FBS salary today. Sorry, it just is. If you can't swing that, then GTFO and drop down to FCS.

I wouldn't go that far. $5 million/year is still a top 25 salary, although just barely. I would be gobsmacked if Deion gets $5 million/year guaranteed.

Batt would be fired immediately if he hired Deion for $5m/year plus any guaranteed buyout. Dudes coached 2 years in swac. If Colorado is paying anywhere near that, they are throwing a Hail Mary. Btw - do swac transfers have the same one time transfer rule?

Can you imagine the buyout Prime’s agent worked out with Colorado?

DS is an interesting guy but no way I would take a chance on him if I’m J. We simply cannot afford to take that kind of financial risk.

Colorado is god-awful and the only way to fix it fast is 4 busloads of portal guys. I don’t think that is going to work. If they lose 10 games next year, no one will care about who he is anymore.

interesting tidbit: according to Sagarin (USA Today), Colorado had the toughest schedule in the country ‍♂️

E1367F9B-8F1E-435C-A9DE-389653CA25A1.jpeg

This. We're in a rut, but we're not completely down bad like Colorado is. Deion is literally the "it's this or drop football" option which we aren't at yet.
This is pure fantasy. Literally NO EVIDENCE of this. Just biased, wishful, thinking. Over the last four years, Colorado was 14-28. Tech was 14-32. They played one FCS school in those four years. We played three. Colorado's average home attendance this year was 42847. Our average home attendance was 35008. Our "rut" sure looks to me to be a bit worse than their "down bad."

We are living in poverty. Can’t kick the can any further down the road after the Collins hire and our dues on facilities spending.

Batt is the right man for the job at this moment. We need a few years of thinking like an accountant to get out of this hole.

The longer term is yet to be seen.
Who spent this enormous sum on facilities which puts us in a worse financial sistuation than virtually every FBS program, and yet we STILL have facilities which don't even compare to the top programs??? If we're that much in debt more than everyone else because of all this lavish spending on facilities, then we should be playing in the ööööing Taj Mahal - not on some of the cheapest-looking fake turf I've ever seen..

Oh, and In the longer term . . . we're all dead. So öööö that.

This is pure fantasy. Literally NO EVIDENCE of this. Just biased, wishful, thinking. Over the last four years, Colorado was 14-28. Tech was 14-32. They played one FCS school in those four years. We played three. Colorado's average home attendance this year was 42847. Our average home attendance was 35008. Our "rut" sure looks to me to be a bit worse than their "down bad."

Who spent this enormous sum on facilities which puts us in a worse financial sistuation than virtually every FBS program, and yet we STILL have facilities which don't even compare to the top programs??? If we're that much in debt more than everyone else because of all this lavish spending on facilities, then we should be playing in the ööööing Taj Mahal - not on some of the cheapest-looking fake turf I've ever seen..

Oh, and In the longer term . . . we're all dead. So öööö that.
Brent Key as HC showed us that we're not terribly far from any of our goals. We don't need desperate Hail Mary öööö. Yet.

Brent Key as HC showed us that we're not terribly far from any of our goals. We don't need desperate Hail Mary öööö. Yet.

Yeah Colorado gets Deion and we get the memory of beating an obviously over ranked UNC team thanks to a dropped TD to thank for our hire….. guess will see how this plays out in years coming

I wouldn't go that far. $5 million/year is still a top 25 salary, although just barely. I would be gobsmacked if Deion gets $5 million/year guaranteed.

And there are, what, 64 P5 teams? And I'm guessing that ranking includes salaries that are being paid this year on contracts which might have been negotiated 2, 3 or even 4 years ago (like ours). Salaries are going up, my friend. Salaries are higher in 2022 than in 2019 when we negotiated Goof's contract.

Hugh Freeze is now getting $6.5 million per year.

That ranks him 8/14 in the SEC.

In the ACC . . .

Dabo makes more than $10 million / year. Brent ficking Pry makes more than $4.5 million per year under his current SIX year contract. Norvell is in the middle of a seven year $33.3 million dollar contract. Tony Elliott is under a six year year that pays between $4 - $4.5 million per year. Narduzzi is under contract for the next 8 years. Can't find the terms but he made $4.8 million in 2021. Cristobal is getting paid $8 million a year for ten years.

$5 million per year is pedestrian for a new contract in 2022. It's nothing special.

Batt would be fired immediately if he hired Deion for $5m/year plus any guaranteed buyout. Dudes coached 2 years in swac. If Colorado is paying anywhere near that, they are throwing a Hail Mary. Btw - do swac transfers have the same one time transfer rule?

If Batt would be fired for paying a P5 head football coach $5 million / year, then I think that we could avoid a lot of future heartache and kvetching by admitting to ourselves right now that we will never be able to compete in FBS football, and then reverting to FCS.

Back