Other Schools' Coaching Changes [Now with Colorado's Deion]

Yes we could have easily just from the additional ticket sales. We don't sell approximately 15k tickets per game except for the Clemson's and UGA's of the season. At $50 per ticket (on the low end). We would be looking at an additional $750k per game. That doesn't take in to account the seat licence fees, concessions, gear, etc. The additional revenue Deion would have brought just from standing on the sidelines would have paid for his salary.

Would that transition past year one or two? That is the $5million question.
From most reports, it doesn't sound like either Cabrera or Batt would of agreed to spending that kind of money on the promise that we could afford it after the fact. Would also be a question if the boosters would of either. You also have to ask the question of what happens if he doesn't succeed? Then that speculated revenue disappears in less than a season.

. And the goodwill he built up in his community is gonna be eroded as every black recruiter roasts him to recruits. If he thinks he’s going to get the high end players from the southeast to go play in Boulder he’s about to find out that other recruiters are going to use his abandonment of JSU against him in a big way.

No they're not. Black P5 coaches who have never coached for an HBCU talking to players who would never even consider playing for an HBCU are not going to roast Deion, an idol in black (and white and sports in general) culture, for spending three years bringing an HBCU to prominence.

As for the abandonment part, every single coach has "abandoned" a school before at some point. Often multiple times.

No they're not. Black P5 coaches who have never coached for an HBCU talking to players who would never even consider playing for an HBCU are not going to roast Deion, and idol in black (and white and sports in general) culture, for spending three years bringing an HBCU to prominence.

As for the abandonment part, every single coach has "abandoned" a school before at some point. Often multiple times.
This.

I assure you if a P5 power house came calling CBK with $5million+ offer he would be out the door.

I believe he loves GT but a couple million a year can ease a lot of pain.

You’re part of the Tech problem. No aspirations for anything other than mediocrity. Key couldn’t develop a serviceable Oline but now he is suddenly the best possible coach for Tech. Beat some patsies in a very weak Coastal division. Hurrah. Do you honestly think that Key will have us in contention with UGA, Clemson, and Ole Miss? The answer is obviously no because Tech doesn’t strive to be competitive with those teams.
Go to hell. You idiots are slobbering all over a marketing gimmick…we just got rid of one.

You guys are not being reasonable. It's fine to think Deion will be a great coach. But it's ridiculous to build him up as such a guaranteed success that not wanting him is a sign of mental disorder or acceptance of mediocrity.

There's a reason he's taking 1-11 Colorado and not Auburn or another P5 job. The guy is completely inexperienced and a huge risk.

The Deion Geoff comparisons are completely delusional. One talks and everybody (best recruits) listens. The other just talks.
He better be able to coach his ass off now. He isn't going to have the advantage of recruiting 4 & 5 star players to compete with players not even recruited to BCS schools. He is recruiting among his equals now. Oregon is not Grambling or Tennessee State.

There's a reason he's taking 1-11 Colorado and not Auburn or another P5 job. The guy is completely inexperienced and a huge risk.

Replace 1-11 Colorado with 3-8 for the past 3 seasons Georgia Tech.

We are taking the same risk with none of the upside.

I say this as a fan of CBK.

We don't know the details of either contract yet, so hard to say what levels of risk are. Maybe in terms of win outlook alone it is a similar risk.

I disagree that Brent Key carries the same risk as Deion Sanders.

I think worst case scenario with Key is that he wins 5 or 6 games a year, has the kids playing hard, and leaves us in a decent place to upgrade coaches in three years.

Worst case for Deion is that he's completely out of his elements, wins a couple games a year, has a bunch of recruiting violations, and embarrasses the program on the national stage.

Of course he could also recruit gangbusters and make the playoffs in two years. Who knows.

Tech missed a big opportunity by not hiring Deion (assuming Coach Prime would have came to Tech). Day 1 of the coach prime reign and Colorado already has a Heisman candidate QB transferring and 5 Star DL. Colorado will be top 5 in the transfer portal for the 2023 cycle and Tech wont even be top 50 for any year of the Key tenure. Not to mention national exposure Colorado now has. Not even sure the last time Colorado made top headlines on ESPN - the second place finish in 1990 probably.

I disagree that Brent Key carries the same risk as Deion Sanders.

I think worst case scenario with Key is that he wins 5 or 6 games a year, has the kids playing hard, and leaves us in a decent place to upgrade coaches in three years.

Worst case for Deion is that he's completely out of his elements, wins a couple games a year, has a bunch of recruiting violations, and embarrasses the program on the national stage.

Of course he could also recruit gangbusters and make the playoffs in two years. Who knows.
This is some Gold Colored glasses on CBK.

He was the Assistant HC for the past 4 years during this low point. OL was perhaps the weakest position group. You are giving him a major pass if you think 5 or 6 wins is the floor.

We are going to see in the next few months what difference Deion makes in recruiting.

No they're not. Black P5 coaches who have never coached for an HBCU talking to players who would never even consider playing for an HBCU are not going to roast Deion, an idol in black (and white and sports in general) culture, for spending three years bringing an HBCU to prominence.

This is just laughable. Deion has been coaching rec league football so no one cared to roast him. Now that he preached the sermon about HBCU’s and left to come to real football these black recruiters aren’t going to show him the same reverence now that he threatens their paycheck. Every school in the south has black coaches/recruiters on staff and they are all going to be going hard at Deion. Of course none of it will be done in public. I can already hear Deion (who I really like as a sports figure) sitting in a kids house in Waycross or Birmingham, or Jacksonville telling them what he’s building and what they need to be a part of in ………… Boulder, Colorado. That’s just funny. Then the next day UGA sends in Dell McGee or Fran Brown to the same kids house. You don’t think they would point out Deions holier than thou rhetoric about JSU and then poof he’s gone? Or they could simply show the average daily temp and that would work too.

I love the sports figure of Deion but he is playing everyone and is playing daddy ball with his own kid. His son is a solid athlete playing QB. Very similar to Sims talent. Raw and needed coaching. Sims never got it at a high level. Shedeur Sanders isn’t getting it a lower level but he is winning because it’s glorified high school ball. If Sims had played at JSU they would have been undefeated too. Reality is about to come to Deion. But as long as the contract is guaranteed he’ll have the last laugh when he’s gone in a few years.

Tech missed a big opportunity by not hiring Deion (assuming Coach Prime would have came to Tech). Day 1 of the coach prime reign and Colorado already has a Heisman candidate QB transferring and 5 Star DL. Colorado will be top 5 in the transfer portal for the 2023 cycle and Tech wont even be top 50 for any year of the Key tenure. Not to mention national exposure Colorado now has. Not even sure the last time Colorado made top headlines on ESPN - the second place finish in 1990 probably.

Also just got a 5 star receiver for 2025. Did something in 1 day Tech couldn't do in years.

Most likely Deion wanted too much influence over the program like he had at Jackson State - complete control of the program and AD responsibilities. THAT was the risk that a big program like Auburn wouldnt want to take, and a program with a Hill like ours wasn’t willing to give.

Back