Other Schools' Coaching Changes [Now with Colorado's Deion]

Tech missed a big opportunity by not hiring Deion (assuming Coach Prime would have came to Tech). Day 1 of the coach prime reign and Colorado already has a Heisman candidate QB transferring and 5 Star DL. Colorado will be top 5 in the transfer portal for the 2023 cycle and Tech wont even be top 50 for any year of the Key tenure. Not to mention national exposure Colorado now has. Not even sure the last time Colorado made top headlines on ESPN - the second place finish in 1990 probably.
Who is this Heisman candidate QB you speak of? Or I guess I should just ask his dad if he’s a Heisman candidate. Or tell me you haven’t watched Jackson State play without telling me you haven’t watched Jackson State play.

Georgia Tech royally screwed up on this one… they remain committed to being cheap and 6 wins is the peak for the next 5 years…. Total disaster.

—-

Coastal Carolina sideline boss Jamey Chadwell agreed to a seven-year deal to become Liberty's head coach, sources told ESPN's Pete Thamel.

Chadwell's contract will be worth more than $4 million per year, Thamel adds.

Liberty was on the hunt for a head coach after losing Hugh Freeze to Auburn on Tuesday. Freeze led the Flames to a 34-15 record over four years.

Chadwell compiled a 39-21 record at Coastal Carolina. He posted consecutive 11-win seasons from 2020-21 before leading the Chanticleers to a 9-3 mark this season.

Coastal Carolina is targeting NC State offensive coordinator Tim Beck as Chadwell's replacement, sources told ESPN's Adam Rittenberg.

Who is this Heisman candidate QB you speak of? Or I guess I should just ask his dad if he’s a Heisman candidate. Or tell me you haven’t watched Jackson State play without telling me you haven’t watched Jackson State play.

The only QB recruit we have ever had in our program with a higher rating coming out of high school than Sanders was Jeff Sims who Key just lost. The Colorado QB will certainly be a Hesiman candidate to start the year next year, and if you think otherwise, tell me you never watched college football without telling me that you never watched college football. Ill bump this thread June 2023.

The absolute last thing we needed to do was a 7 yr contract on an unproven-in-P5 coach. Was Clown Coach not enough proof?

We didn't need another HC who ignored our defense either. Chadwell's defenses at Coastal were absolutely dog öööö. It'll be interesting to see how well he does without a great QB at the helm. All flash, no substance with a bit of scandal = Chadwell.

Wow.. double down on denial huh? Interesting take
I'm being facetious. I think Deion would have been better off in the SE, at GT or USF. But if he turns Colorado around then he will reach God coaching status.

I think most of you are looking at this like it is still 1985. Deion seems to understand the new game. I guess moral superiority of "doing it the right way" is better than taking a chance on something different that may get us over our mediocrity hump? Nah, I'll take entertaining football games over .500ish ACC play and losses to UGA every year, just to puff out my chest and say stupid öööö like at least we are doing it to right way or at we are smarter than you. It is a football game, not quiz bowl.

One of the things that Key brought after he became interim is custom game planning, something we haven’t even had under CPJ and definitely didn’t have under Collins unless you count playing to not lose by a 100 against uga as a game plan. Another thing Key brought is belief that we can hang with the likes of uga and take shots at them to beat them. Also he’s been able to inspire loyalty in his company because he’s been in those same trenches that they’re fighting in wearing the same uniform. Brent Key is gonna be a helluva coach if he can get himself some decent recruits, this I believe. It’s not blind optimism or rooting for the Tech man because Collins era ensured that I’m never optimistic and watching the likes of Ted Roof or Stansbury made me realize that Tech men aren’t always the best men for every job. But I believe in Key and I also believe he will convince the rest of you who are angry at his hiring thinking we just can’t afford anyone else. Deion was my top pick for recruiting reasons but a lot of you I argued with in this very thread were right. Coaching is a lot more than just recruiting. I don’t know if Deion will be successful at Colorado but if he is he’ll be hired by Auburn in 3-5 years and Colorado will go back to being the bottom of the Pac12. We hired the right guy for the job.

You guys are not being reasonable. It's fine to think Deion will be a great coach. But it's ridiculous to build him up as such a guaranteed success that not wanting him is a sign of mental disorder or acceptance of mediocrity.

There's a reason he's taking 1-11 Colorado and not Auburn or another P5 job. The guy is completely inexperienced and a huge risk.
Deion has figured out how to turn prosperity gospel into football coaching. And much like prosperity gospel preachers, Deion will be the only one who profits.

So after firing a coach for $11M, you think it would of been likely we could afford to pay the next head coach alone nearly what we were paying the previous staff combined? Where was this money going to come from?
GT would have received tons of donations had we hired Deion. The spring game would’ve been a sell out. But we were too afraid.

We had an opportunity to bring in a coach that would have brought in players. He probably has 100+ people on his cell phone that could pay 6 figure NIL deals. He would have brought genuine energy, great players, tons of money and ACC championships. And if Colorado can get him, we definitely could have too.

Georgia Tech royally screwed up on this one… they remain committed to being cheap and 6 wins is the peak for the next 5 years…. Total disaster.

—-

Coastal Carolina sideline boss Jamey Chadwell agreed to a seven-year deal to become Liberty's head coach, sources told ESPN's Pete Thamel.

Chadwell's contract will be worth more than $4 million per year, Thamel adds.

Liberty was on the hunt for a head coach after losing Hugh Freeze to Auburn on Tuesday. Freeze led the Flames to a 34-15 record over four years.

Chadwell compiled a 39-21 record at Coastal Carolina. He posted consecutive 11-win seasons from 2020-21 before leading the Chanticleers to a 9-3 mark this season.

Coastal Carolina is targeting NC State offensive coordinator Tim Beck as Chadwell's replacement, sources told ESPN's Adam Rittenberg.
No, no, NO, this cannot be!

"Sources" said CCU was going to make their current DC their new HC.

The absolute last thing we needed to do was a 7 yr contract on an unproven-in-P5 coach. Was Clown Coach not enough proof?

We didn't need another HC who ignored our defense either. Chadwell's defenses at Coastal were absolutely dog öööö. It'll be interesting to see how well he does without a great QB at the helm. All flash, no substance with a bit of scandal = Chadwell.
I’m glad we hired Brent Key, but wtf is this supposed to mean? Coastal JUST moved up from FCS, and Chadwell went 31-6 over the past 3 years. I have no idea what scandal you are referring to, but I think you have the flash and substance part entirely backwards. Dude is a consistent winner at the levels he has coached at.

That being said, if we ever play Liberty while he’s there, I hope we give him the James Madison treatment.

An unproven in P5 SWAC coach was a much better idea. /sarcasm

Worst case for Deion is [...] and embarrasses the program on the national stage.
It's easy to underestimate this. Everyone always says "well, the worst he'll do is flame out and you just start over with a new coach, right?" but that's naive. You want volatility by hiring a guy like Deion? You'll get volatility. You buy a meme stock, the downside risk isn't that you lose a little bit of the money you put in, it's losing ALL of the money you put in.

Michigan State went through a "we're going to start recruiting like we mean it!" phase after they made the playoff in 2015. Hired a hotshot recruiting coordinator from Detroit, signed a top-10ish class. Cue robberies, sexual assaults and half the class getting kicked out of school while making the program look like öööö at a school that doesn't have the stomach for crazy like a Florida or Auburn does. And then a lost half-decade while the program recovered from Dantonio getting scared off recruiting anything other than sure-thing kids. Similar thing right now with Texas A&M and their NIL mega-classes: guys smoking weed in the locker room, publicly bashing the coaches, posting videos of themselves driving recklessly, drama everywhere.

It was slightly before my time, but I remember specifically Colorado having a ton of drama with recruiting scandals in like the late 90's, the fallout of which is what I assume to be the root cause of why they suck now, so they even have precedent. Bringing in Deion and his Barstool NIL money (match-fixing like Chris Webber in the 1993 NCAA final, anyone?) and mysteriously-smitten 5* recruits is 100% a Pandora's Box type of thing. Florida had a literal ööööing murderer on their team under Meyer, things go nuclear fast in CFB. Yeah, there's a lot of upside, but Deion has literal program-ending downside risk.

Back