Our players didn't quit, but a lot of our fans did!

Jesus.
It was still a bad throw and pick. UVa rusher bailed him out by getting a hand on his face mask after the throw. So it didn't go in the stat books. BFD. It was a bad throw. Lucky it wasn't a pick. Period.
And it still doesn't count as a play. I'd like to have the two plays back where we got the BS holding calls, but those penalties count too. I'd also like for the WR hold to be called on UVA.

Jesus.
It was still a bad throw and pick. UVa rusher bailed him out by getting a hand on his face mask after the throw. So it didn't go in the stat books. BFD. It was a bad throw. Lucky it wasn't a pick. Period.
It's not like the Sims vs Yates debate was centered around the risk/reward of Sims throwing picks/running ability

Jesus.
The "Tuck Rule" bailed out Brady and the Pats, that happens sometimes in FB , no one calls it a bad fumble at an inopportune time by Brady, it is an incomplete pass due to the Tuck Rule, in this case it was roughing, and no Int.

IDK, but sometimes I think our DB's look bigger and stronger than they were a couple of years ago, but not able to cover as well. Also, you can hang onto the arm or football when the other team's power guy just had it handed to him by their QB, and get dragged down the field for 3 or 4 yards. Sometimes, it seems like we would be better off taking the legs out from under the beast. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm wondering if the biometrics predict the quality of play as much as is thought. Tackling a good runner requires some technique. I am speculating as to why, but it seems like stopping people quickly is suffering.

I'm sick and tired of people saying "the players didn't quit." It's hardly ever a meaningful sentiment and often times inaccurate. I've watched for years and cannot come to the conclusion that some of our defensive players give 100% effort on every play. I also think it's absurd to not call out guys who've played out of position for 3 or 4 years. We saw it with our LB play improving after Curry left, though today was a pretty big stinker. I can only hope we see improvement in the defensive backfield eventually. We don't cover space well and our zone coverage is atrocious. Our DL is bottom half of the ACC which is an improvement over dead last. Our LB play has improved to middle of the ACC. Our pass coverage leaves a lot to be desired.
We lack toughness on defense. We need some mean players. Without calling names, I saw too many defensive players tonight not working to get off blocks, almost relenting that they were not going to make the play. Frankly then, on offense, if UVA had not let up and subbed so much, we wouldn't have scored our last two TD's.

Frustrating becuase it is the same problems since day 1 of this Coaching Era....
Shouldn't our DBs be able to take their YEARS of post HS FB Coaching and instruction and then when in the Game have the brainpower to adapt what they have learned M-Fri to that Game and that opponent on Sat evening?

Our DBs have been out of HS 4 & 5 years, they should be mentally ready for anything they see on the College Level, in fact there are Guys that go to the NFL after 3 yrs out of HS and rarely blow assignments at the next Level in a MORE COMPLEX LEAGUE (NFL), but our 4th and 5th year Guys keep making the same mistakes on this Level.

Time to invest snaps in younger players, they cannot be any worse than what I have seen from our secondary vs Pitt & UVA.

While several of our fans, on this message board, were running down our players those young men were still FIGHTING! I don't care for this coaching staff, but we have some good players who play with a lot of heart.

I never like fans who run down there own players. You can criticize your team's play without singling out players and calling them out by name. The coaches get paid a fortune to coach a sport. I don't mind calling them out, by name, anytime it's warranted (i.e. Thacker's lousy defense).

I'm proud of OUR team not quitting! Tonight, Tech almost made several on here eat there words. The Jackets may not win another game this season, but our players deserve our support. I hope they can win some more games in spite of the coaches.

GO JACKETS!
*Their

I largely agree so long as our players aren’t making money.

And anyone thinking this is Thacker’s defense is fooling himself.

We lack toughness on defense. We need some mean players. Without calling names, I saw too many defensive players tonight not working to get off blocks, almost relenting that they were not going to make the play. Frankly then, on offense, if UVA had not let up and subbed so much, we wouldn't have scored our last two TD's.
UVA didn't "let up" on us, unless you call running their offense letting up.

Last edited:
Is there a time — since BL — when our players have quit?
I can think of one game in the PJ era when our guys really didn't put up a fight. There were times we got beat but kept playing hard to the end. You can also play hard but not play well.

I am sure there are others (WAY too lazy to worry about “research”) but GT vs UGAg 2002 comes to mind. Absolutely quit that day.

Anyway, the RZ pick was a killer (10-14 pt swing), but the O moved the ball for the most part all night. Unfortunately, besides the 1st two drives or so, so did UVA. D is the liability rn. Gotta shore that side of the ball up.

I am sure there are others (WAY too lazy to worry about “research”) but GT vs UGAg 2002 comes to mind. Absolutely quit that day.

Anyway, the RZ pick was a killer (10-14 pt swing), but the O moved the ball for the most part all night. Unfortunately, besides the 1st two drives or so, so did UVA. D is the liability rn. Gotta shore that side of the ball up.
2002 was the only game in my memory where our QB's looked scared during the game.

You have a good memory, they absolutely quit in that game! You also might remember a shot of Gaily near the end of that game standing 20-30 yds. alone at the end of the players bench. He had a look that said " I wish I wasn't here". As a Tech fan I was ashamed of the entire program!

Shouldn't our DBs be able to take their YEARS of post HS FB Coaching and instruction and then when in the Game have the brainpower to adapt what they have learned M-Fri to that Game and that opponent on Sat evening?

Our DBs have been out of HS 4 & 5 years, they should be mentally ready for anything they see on the College Level, in fact there are Guys that go to the NFL after 3 yrs out of HS and rarely blow assignments at the next Level in a MORE COMPLEX LEAGUE (NFL), but our 4th and 5th year Guys keep making the same mistakes on this Level.

Time to invest snaps in younger players, they cannot be any worse than what I have seen from our secondary vs Pitt & UVA.
The younger players are being taught the same things as the older players. Why would the results be different? Do you think the coaching staff is trying to lose games?

Just some bad defensive coaching. Conservative calls. DB's out of position
Yeah. Anyone that bought into Collins being a good D coach, or even a decent secondary coach, can see the truth now. We have a middle school defense.

The problem with our defense is how could you tell if they’ve quit?

they can’t rush the passer, make tackles, keep up with receivers, beat a block, etc in the first quarter. What would quitting look like? Literally laying down on the field?

Back