Paul Johnson will be named Head Football Coach

you don't freaking get it. We won't score over time and won't win over time running the TO b/c we won't land top tier recruits. THATs a fact. Why do you think no one else runs it?
No, you don't get it. Georgia Tech ran triple option in 1999 and averaged over 10 yards on first downs, and had no problem recruiting.

Just because there's 3 options on the play doesn't mean you can't run a spread.

Florida has triple option plays in their playbook. So does Oregon. Those are good places to go be a QB.

So if he is hired you're not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt? As he has said multiple times he will adapt to his strengths.

He now has a QB, WR's and a stable of RB's.

Why not give the man a chance, I just don't understand.

Probably because 33 is an emotional hothead who thinks he knows it all.

If that ain't the pot callin the kettle black, I don't know what is.

At least I'm willing to give any coach a chance.

So if he is hired you're not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt? As he has said multiple times he will adapt to his strengths.

He now has a QB, WR's and a stable of RB's.

Why not give the man a chance, I just don't understand.

5 years for probably $2MM a year is a hell of a "chance". I'll support the guy until/unless the wheels fall off. I just hope he tailors the offense some. We've already experienced life w/ a great rushing game and abysmal passing game and it wasn't fun!

No, you don't get it. Georgia Tech ran triple option in 1999 and averaged over 10 yards on first downs, and had no problem recruiting.

Did we "run" the triple option as our base offense or run it 10 times a game? Big difference.

Did we "run" the triple option as our base offense or run it 10 times a game? Big difference.

The majority of our run plays that year were triple option, and our 5 foot 8 4.5 second 40 QB had several 100 yard rushing games.

No, you don't get it. Georgia Tech ran triple option in 1999 and averaged over 10 yards on first downs, and had no problem recruiting..

with this you have now proved to everyone you have no clue. We ran TO about 5-10 a game AT MOST in 1999.

Probably because 33 is an emotional hothead who thinks he knows it all.

If that ain't the pot callin the kettle black, I don't know what is.

At least I'm willing to give any coach a chance.

no I am willing to give him a chance.

at 2million a year, I think there are too many question marks

and his style and history does make me nervous.

but I will give him a fair shot as I did with gailey...for 5 freaking years.

Wasnt PJ also the OC at Hawai'i for many years, where he ran a pass first offense? Maybe he's an extremist who doesnt believe in balance (a la Andy Reid)?

What crystal ball do you have saying the triple is the base or how often we will run it?

Or $2M?

Care to share stock info for the future?

And yes, the reason why no one runs the TO today is b/c you CAN'T RECRUIT TO IT.
why? You need to back up that statement considering it's the crux of your tirade against Paul Johnson.

And at least two rings as an Offensive coordinator. Gailey got those where?

The Dallas Cowboys are not a big time program? I guess you mean college. And the last GT coach from a big time program not named GT was????

And Chan's offense is rated what? Navy's is rated eighth I believe? Almost identical?

Odd man, odd.

I did not, and would not, refer to an NFL team as a "program". NFL success and college success are unrelated as Spurrier and others have shown. Chan never understood the college game.

Navy is ranked 119 out of 119 in passing offense, and if you believe he can have a top 25 offense just running the ball like he did at Navy while playing at GT's level, WHEN NO ONE ELSE CAN, then you don't get big time college football.

I cannot understand why people keep pointing to Wake and Navy and GSU as success stories. I want to be LSU, and a guy like Muschamp who has consistently been in the big time environment gave us the best chance of that.

Instead, we get an unproven coach with an unproven offense. And we lose our AD in the process.

why? You need to back up that statement considering it's the crux of your tirade against Paul Johnson.

how would you like me to back it up other than no D1 BCS school runs it and Nebraska's chief reason for dropping it was their ability to recruit top talent?

Just because there's 3 options on the play doesn't mean you can't run a spread.

Florida has triple option plays in their playbook. So does Oregon. Those are good places to go be a QB.

Dude, GT was ranked in the top 20 in passing in 1999. Quit misconstruing facts to make a point. Sure, Ralph ran the option. He ran all kinds of stuff. But we sure as hell were not an option team, and it was not always the triple option that he ran. I am not sure that you know the difference.

Ralph's run pass ratio was always around 1:1. Navy was 6:1.

Dude, GT was ranked in the top 20 in passing in 1999. Quit misconstruing facts to make a point. Sure, Ralph ran the option. He ran all kinds of stuff. But we sure as hell were not an option team, and it was not always the triple option that he ran. I am not sure that you know the difference.

Thanks for clearing that up. Beej had me wondering.

how would you like me to back it up other than no D1 BCS school runs it
that is not proof that you can't recruit players to play in the triple option system.

and Nebraska's chief reason for dropping it was their ability to recruit top talent?
Now you're just making up ****. Nebraska stopped running the triple option because Bill Callahan was an arrogant NFL coach who wanted to make his own stamp on the program by "[flipping] the culture" (his exact words, not mine) and dropping the TO.

with this you have now proved to everyone you have no clue. We ran TO about 5-10 a game AT MOST in 1999.

In 1999, Tech had 503 total rushing attempts, 154 of which were Joe Hamilton. Sean Gregory, by comparison, had 172, and was our leading rusher.

http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/101099aac.html

Care to explain how your QB averages 14 carries per game and your RB averages 16 carries per game, if you're not running option?

Before you say "obviously those were all scrambles or sacks" maybe you'd like to compare to our 2007 cumulative statistics. 508 rushing attempts, 249 of which are Tashard, 40 of which are Taylor.

Man we got a few noisy doofuses fired up today.

Nobody has any evidence of proving the triple option, while winning loads of championships in 1AA and other levels, can't succeed in the ACC.
Nobody has any evidence that we will actually run the straight up triple option, and not a spread option like Wake or UF.
Nobody has any evidence that Wake passes too much, too little or just right. Nobody knows if we would pass more than Navy or less or the same.
Nobody has any evidence that we won't be able to recruit if we go to the triple option.
Nobody has any evidence that we can recruit a decent drop back passer for a conventional attack either.
Nobody knows if he costs $2 or $1.

How about chilling on the handwaving freakoutery. Nobody is going to sit around and watch PJ drive this boat into the rocks running a 1910 playbook and recruiting Navy players. We have instant feedback nowadays with internet message boards and televised games.

What we need is a winner and a guy who understands football. PJ is both of those. There is a tiny chance that PJ only understands triple option football and the spread might as well be Greek. I guess that is what you are afraid of. I think that it is far more likely that you will see a tweaked version with elements of WV, WF, UF, old fridge, and yes Navy.

Now you're just making up ****. Nebraska stopped running the triple option because Bill Callahan was an arrogant NFL coach who wanted to make his own stamp on the program by "[flipping] the culture" (his exact words, not mine) and dropping the TO.
Actually, he's not making anything up. The decision was made to get away from the option offense before chosing a coach. If anything, it was the AD that fired Solich (that was fired earlier this year) wanting to put his stamp on the program. It was not Callahan's decision to move to the West Coast offense. He just happened to be the "expert" in the WC offense hired to teach and run it.

But we sure as hell were not an option team, and it was not always the triple option that he ran. I am not sure that you know the difference.

While we're at it, Ralph's run pass ratio in 99 was 503:353, or about 3:2 run to pass. I know because someone on Stingtalk burned me on that trivia a few months ago, actually, and I had to eat crow over it.

And yes, nearly all our option plays were triple option for Ralph's entire stay here. Our fullback got about 2 carries per game on it.

Back