Paul Johnson will be named Head Football Coach

While we're at it, Ralph's run pass ratio in 99 was 503:353, or about 3:2 run to pass. I know because someone on Stingtalk burned me on that trivia a few months ago, actually, and I had to eat crow over it.

And yes, nearly all our option plays were triple option for Ralph's entire stay here. Our fullback got about 2 carries per game on it.
Dude, stop making references to Freidgen - his M.O. is multiple formations (primarily pro formation), option being one of them. PJ's M.O. (for as long as he's been a coach) is option-style (closer to old school triple-O than new school spread-o). It's not a valid comparison.

Jim Grobe's attack is the closest comparison being run in a BCS conference today (or in the recent past)

Wasn't it Ralph who said that he wanted to run the option just enough to make the opposing team spend time in practice scouting it? So, we weren't a completely option based team, but we ran it just enough to gain an advantage and keep our opponents on their toes?

Before you say "obviously those were all scrambles or sacks" maybe you'd like to compare to our 2007 cumulative statistics. 508 rushing attempts, 249 of which are Tashard, 40 of which are Taylor.

Uhmmmmmmm.

Because Joe Hamilton had more escapability than Taylor? And was a weapon with his feet?

My recollection of the time is that the option was a gimmick that the players really liked. Ralph didn't want to spend the time to install it, but he threw the players a bone, and he was surprised at how well Joe and Dez and them ran it, with very little invested practice time.

But it was always just a gimmick, a change of pace or kept in the back pocket for a key conversion.

Joe's strength, and most of his yards, was not due to a pre-programmed option sequence. It was due to his ability to change the play, at the line of scrimmage, and after the play started to break down.

Taylor, bless his heart, has not yet matched Joe in those departments.

In 1999, Tech had 503 total rushing attempts, 154 of which were Joe Hamilton. Sean Gregory, by comparison, had 172, and was our leading rusher.

http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/101099aac.html

Care to explain how your QB averages 14 carries per game and your RB averages 16 carries per game, if you're not running option?

Before you say "obviously those were all scrambles or sacks" maybe you'd like to compare to our 2007 cumulative statistics. 508 rushing attempts, 249 of which are Tashard, 40 of which are Taylor.

We didn't run the option as a base. We ran it 5-10 a game, the rest of the carries were normal handoffs and QB draws or designed runs and scrambles.

but believe what you want.

OH And I WAS THE ONE WHO BURNED YOU ON THE FRIDGE HIGH POWERED OFFENSE RUN VS PASS RATIO.

In FACT, we ran the TO more In 1998 than 1999 b/c we were more afraid of getting heisman joe injured in 1999.

And, we didn't run it THAT much in 1998.

We ran it the most in 1997.

Well this argument isn't going to go any further until we watch some tape. Which I'd be happy to do, if anyone knows of any. I'm thinking most particularly UVA 1998 and FSU 1999.

that is not proof that you can't recruit players to play in the triple option system.

Now you're just making up ****. Nebraska stopped running the triple option because Bill Callahan was an arrogant NFL coach who wanted to make his own stamp on the program by "[flipping] the culture" (his exact words, not mine) and dropping the TO.

I don't think there is anything out there that can officialy confirm that Nebraska hired Callaham beacuse of the failure of the TO to recruit top talent and work against the speedy defenses of Div 1. But you ask most Husker fans and those are the top two reasons why they felt Peterson (NU's former AD) wanted the change. Peterson never said it out of respect for Solich but he fired Solich and hired Callagham because he felt that NU was behind the times because of the TO and the loss to Miami in the 2001 MNCG seemed to validate that thought.

Well this argument isn't going to go any further until we watch some tape. Which I'd be happy to do, if anyone knows of any. I'm thinking most particularly UVA 1998 and FSU 1999.
I don't have any of those games on tape....but I would also question your judgement on what triple option is vs other options out there.

Triple option is called that as it is typically done in I-formation, or in FB formation with RB or WR motioning into the I where off the snap the first option is the fake or run to the FB, the second option is the QB keeping the ball and going off tackle, the third option in the QB keeping the ball, going off tackle but pitching to the RB. (note it can be done in flexbone too...with two RBs and one FB etc etc)

If the QB is in shotgun, fakes a handoff to the RB and runs or hands it to the RB....that is not the triple option

If the QB takes the snap, never makes a fake to the FB and speed runs to the edge and pitches it to the RB...that is also not the triple option.

I have not seen anybody mention that Navy is RANKED 17TH IN PASSING EFFICIENCY or that they RANK 3RD IN YARDS PER PASSING ATTEMPT (9.16 PA).

Of course they don't pass that much, they lead the nation in rushing and average 5.65 yards per carry as a team.

We definitely ran the triple option w/ Joe Ham. It was typically Wilder and Charlie Rogers. It was just run out of a formation that could be thrown out of (not a wing-T, or anything else w/ everyone bunched in the middle).

LOL if we average 5.6 ypc on the ground we will run PJ out of town if he passes for more than 90 yards a game.

Obviously it ain't that easy in Div 1, but come on folks. If wake can go 8-4 in a down year with a similar offense, why can't we be a true National player? And if Illinois and WV can go to a BCS bowl with the #114 and #113 passing attacks, can't we at least consider that the conventional 'balanced' attack we have been mediocre running or recruiting for might not be the only way?

I have not seen anybody mention that Navy is RANKED 17TH IN PASSING EFFICIENCY or that they RANK 3RD IN YARDS PER PASSING ATTEMPT (9.16 PA).

Of course they don't pass that much, they lead the nation in rushing and average 5.65 yards per carry as a team.

I think I did last week....but yeah, that's the thing about passing.

Sometimes you gotta pass smarter, not harder. Look at WVU. Pat White is not know for his passing ability at all, but he's in the top 10 in rating and efficiency. Why? Because they throw high-percentage passes.

It's official! I heard it on the Buck and Kincaid show on the way home. PJ is coming to Tech. And Buck's voice was quivering, 'cause he knows we will start kicking their asses!

It's official! I heard it on the Buck and Kincaid show on the way home. PJ is coming to Tech. And Buck's voice was quivering, 'cause he knows we will start kicking their asses!

Buck and Kincaid saying it does not, in fact, make it official. It will be official when he signs the contract, and traditionally there will be a presser as well. I'll believe it then.

Buck and Kincaid saying it does not, in fact, make it official. It will be official when he signs the contract, and traditionally there will be a presser as well. I'll believe it then.
Lighten up dude, it was a joke! But they did say it.

It's true, Im glad those losers over at the hive, don't have a clue! :laugher:
It finally hit over there at 3:01 pm.
I broke it here @ 1:46 pm.

Only on Stingtalk, do we get the scoop 1st.

I got banned for calling them a bunch of losers over there after the ugag game. They were all making excuses and telling us to stay the course. It was typical Hive junk.
If it were up to the hive, CG would still be coach thus perpetuating "pussy ball". Why you ask?? Because they didn't have the guts to take a risk and make a change! They're pussies!

Not who my numero uno was, but will give Rakadovich the BOTD.

Back