Players in the Portal [Official "They Gone" Thread]

N.C. State's Leary also in the portal.
247 has us getting a RB transfer from Florida, NayQuan Wright.

The portal skies didn't just open. It is a downright deluge.
Vanderbilt QB Mike Wright also in the portal. Clemson RB Kobe Pace (I think he's from Cedartown) also put his name in.
I think college football as we have to come know it has ended. Somebody smarter than the NCAA (yeah, that's a low bar, I know) has to figure this out.

Vanderbilt QB Mike Wright also in the portal. Clemson RB Kobe Pace (I think he's from Cedartown) also put his name in.
I think college football as we have to come know it has ended. Somebody smarter than the NCAA (yeah, that's a low bar, I know) has to figure this out.

Let the schools pay players directly. Ideally with some sort of college athletics players' union so that budgets can be kept somewhat in check via a CBA. Then schools will be free to sign players to actual contracts that prohibit transferring.

It won't be the same as it used to be. It never will be again. But it will be better than what we have right now, which is the bad parts of paying players without the good parts.

Let the schools pay players directly. Ideally with some sort of college athletics players' union so that budgets can be kept somewhat in check via a CBA. Then schools will be free to sign players to actual contracts that prohibit transferring.

It won't be the same as it used to be. But it will be better than what we have right now, which is the bad parts of paying players without the good parts.

And let there be a draft.

I hate it. It’s worse than the pros now.

College football ded

Looks like we are doing OK? Haven't seen any new portal announcements from our current team...

Hope we are looking at the Braun kid from Florida given the connections
Did not see anything about Tech in his potential landing spots. Does not mean he won't. Because if there is one spot where we desperately need help ... well ...

The game of college football as we know it has ended. We have entered the oxymoronic era of free-agent student-athletes. Gone are the days of loyalty to the program that recruited you to their team, paid all your school-related expenses, fed you, developed you, coached you, gave you medical services, tutored you, etc. It used to be "all about us," for so many it is now "all about me."

Money is not all that matters. Especially short-term money. What about legacy? Camaraderie? Loyalty? Competition? Education? Love?

Would you rather be a legend at your alma mater or just the guy who school-hopped year to year before his deadend professional sports career?
He can only hop once without sitting out a year.

The game of college football as we know it has ended. We have entered the oxymoronic era of free-agent student-athletes. Gone are the days of loyalty to the program that recruited you to their team, paid all your school-related expenses, fed you, developed you, coached you, gave you medical services, tutored you, etc. It used to be "all about us," for so many it is now "all about me."
The problem with those who believe this is that they have been bamboozled their entire life. College football has ALWAYS been a corrupt scam all about money. I accepted it decades ago when I realized after an entire season of games that the Champion was determined by which school or fanbase could strong arm or buy the most media members.

Nothing has changed. Bowl committee members were bought off, media members were bought off, TV execs were bought off, players were bought off, and academics were bought off. The portal is just the latest iteration. And it was never ever about “all about us”. It has always been about “all about me” and that includes players, coaches, and fans.

I root for the uniform and not the player. I fully understand the players do not care about us. Sure, they want fans in the stands and they love the cheers and pats on the back but they don’t care that it’s any specific fanbase. That’s why I don’t care about them. I know I’m jaded because it’s all hypocrisy. Out of 85 scholarship players what are the percentage that would be admitted into any school as a regular student? It’s all a joke. I’ve seen kids with 1450’s get rejected from GT while we accept football players who can barely put together a paragraph. I root for the GT helmet. If a player transfers or gets injured bring in the next guy. Because they’ll trade us for another fanbase without a thought.

Listen, I love the sport because it’s fun. But I also know it’s a scam. It’s like the fair. I know that when I pay my 3 bucks for 3 shots at the hoop that the rim is smaller and tighter and that I won’t get the big stuffed animal. But every once in a while I get lucky and make one. Its a fun diversion that I know is rigged. That’s college football.

Back