Players in the Portal [Official "They Gone" Thread]

He would go there for a bigger paycheck. Still, that specific school should clearly be a no go for a true Tech man.
Again, I get that thinking. However, it would appear to me that is pretty severe instant gratification thinking. But at 20 years old I was probably thinking that way, too.

I get that, but it's a crazy move IMHO. Go where, at best, you're sharing targets with 4-5 other WR likely better than you or stay where you will be featured in an O that will likely fill the air with balls. For a few dollars. All the while leaving a school that has put about 10 WR's in the League since 2000.

My guess is the pitch goes like the following:

1) Much higher NIL money than at Tech (though personally I question how much someone like him is getting)
2) Legitimate chance to win a title in 2 years versus legitimate chance to make a low tier bowl
3) Play in front of a mostly packed house every game
4) U[sic]GA has a lot more experience putting players in the NFL -- they've had 130 players drafted over the past two decades versus only 39 for us
5) The talent level at U[sic]GA is much higher, which will push McCollum to develop more and prepare him better for the NFL

1, 2, and 3 are immediate, indisputable personal benefits and it's easy to see why they would be a big deal. I know a lot of people say a lot of these players are only interested in making the NFL, but I think most of them really would love a shot at winning the title. You don't see many players opting out of the playoffs.

The big question is whether #4 and #5 combined with playing a middling role on a top team are more valuable than playing a starring role on a middling team for a second year. I don't really know enough about how the NFL evaluates prospects to say, but I am sure that U[sic]GA will be trying to make the case that they give him the better shot at a high NFL draft pick.

Regarding going to your arch rival, I think that matters a lot less when the rivalry has been so one sided for three years and you were playing in front of mostly empty stands for a coach who didn't seem to care much about Tech traditions. My fervent hope is it will be different under Key.

My guess is the pitch goes like the following:

1) Much higher NIL money than at Tech (though personally I question how much someone like him is getting)
2) Legitimate chance to win a title in 2 years versus legitimate chance to make a low tier bowl
3) Play in front of a mostly packed house every game
4) U[sic]GA has a lot more experience putting players in the NFL -- they've had 130 players drafted over the past two decades versus only 39 for us
5) The talent level at U[sic]GA is much higher, which will push McCollum to develop more and prepare him better for the NFL

1, 2, and 3 are immediate, indisputable personal benefits and it's easy to see why they would be a big deal. I know a lot of people say a lot of these players are only interested in making the NFL, but I think most of them really would love a shot at winning the title. You don't see many players opting out of the playoffs.

The big question is whether #4 and #5 combined with playing a middling role on a top team are more valuable than playing a starring role on a middling team for a second year. I don't really know enough about how the NFL evaluates prospects to say, but I am sure that U[sic]GA will be trying to make the case that they give him the better shot at a high NFL draft pick.

Regarding going to your arch rival, I think that matters a lot less when the rivalry has been so one sided for three years and you were playing in front of mostly empty stands for a coach who didn't seem to care much about Tech traditions. My fervent hope is it will be different under Key.
Oh, there's a rationale that can be made for just about anything. When Tech has had top shelf WR's they have gone in the draft pretty high. If the NFL is your main motive, it's just easier to get noticed when you're the top producer on a marginal team than when you're a marginal producer on a top team. The top WR for GA Tech has shown the ability to be drafted in the top 3 rounds. When has the 4th, 5th, or even 6th best WR for UGA been drafted at all? Who knows what his thinking is? I get moving on, if that's what he wants. No problem here - it's his life. UGAg, though, is NOT the place I would transfer as a WR right now.

Oh, there's a rationale that can be made for just about anything. When Tech has had top shelf WR's they have gone in the draft pretty high. If the NFL is your main motive, it's just easier to get noticed when you're the top producer on a marginal team than when you're a marginal producer on a top team. The top WR for GA Tech has shown the ability to be drafted in the top 3 rounds. When has the 4th, 5th, or even 6th best WR for UGA been drafted at all? Who knows what his thinking is? I get moving on, if that's what he wants. No problem here - it's his life. UGAg, though, is NOT the place I would transfer as a WR right now.

We don't know what his thinking is, but my guess is it definitely isn't, "I don't have the talent to be even the third best receiver at U[sic]GA, I'd better go somewhere else if I want to be a top receiver in the NFL."

I do understand what you are saying, but I think the argument about not being able to star in a top offense is a hollow one to most players trying to make the NFL, because they feel they can compete anywhere. Maybe it's a little different for QBs, where only one ever plays, but I'm sure McCollum really believes he can go in there and become one of their top receivers.

We don't know what his thinking is, but my guess is it definitely isn't, "I don't have the talent to be even the third best receiver at U[sic]GA, I'd better go somewhere else if I want to be a top receiver in the NFL."

I do understand what you are saying, but I think the argument about not being able to star in a top offense is a hollow one to most players trying to make the NFL, because they feel they can compete anywhere. Maybe it's a little different for QBs, where only one ever plays, but I'm sure McCollum really believes he can go in there and become one of their top receivers.
I’m sure he’s thinking that.

I will question how much different the NIL money could possibly be between our #1 receiver vs UGA's 5th or 6th biggest target.

I don't think he is going to be targeted at UGA more than Bowers or McConky straight out the gate. Then he has to beat out a dozen other guys who were rated higher than him coming out of high school.

I just don't understand why a UGA booster is paying McCollum big money for an NIL deal.

You wonder at what point, since UGAg finally managed to buy that natty, that boosters are gonna pull back a bit on the money paid to recruits and players. At some point, you figure "you know what? I could get ANOTHER beach home with this money"

McDuffie to the portal. Not a surprise. Was kinda the odd man out.

Didn’t he come here because the RB coach from Buffalo came here? I forget.

If I were Mr. McDuffie, I’d hang around long enough to get a GT degree.

Didn’t he come here because the RB coach from Buffalo came here? I forget.

If I were Mr. McDuffie, I’d hang around long enough to get a GT degree.
Well he is saying that he is a grad transfer. Where else would he have graduated from?

Back