Players in the Portal [Official "They Gone" Thread]

Where I think he’s so well is in an air raid style offense. Lot of quick short passes where you release the ball based on formation before the ball is snapped.

A traditional QB is complicated - 3 to 4 seconds to survey the defense, identify their plan, determine who should be open, spot that man, then throw the ball. Not everyone has the ability for fast pattern recognition.

While that is true, his other problem was long range accuracy, too often it looked like he was just flinging it downfield. He had plenty of arm strength to get the ball there; but it was like he couldn't anticipate the timing of when the receiver would be there. Short passes he seemed fine with, throwing to a spot might work too.

The Duke game he was finishing his runs strong and looking like he was giving more effort than we were used to seeing. That could work well in a lot of places.

We will have the greatest Ginger to Ginger connection in college football history
"We are trying to be red head duo," joked Long. "Dirty red and the red rifle! I really don't have any negatives I could say about our time together."

Bama is a farm team for Arbys.
Arbys meat is PEOPLE!?!!
1670896562480.jpeg

It's deleted now, what was it?

EDIT: nm, it was the guy who transferred out on bad terms, I remember now
Yea, called out coach Leach last week with a snarky comment.

That comment will follow him forever.

Yea, called out coach Leach last week with a snarky comment.

That comment will follow him forever.
The timing was unfortunate but Leach did call out the WRs (all of them) as soft. It wasn't a good look so glad he pulled it down but I don't think its going to be one of those things that follows you for a long time.

From The Four Letter Network's website . . .

"Craig Haubert: There are plenty of big names out there. And one who may be a long shot, but could be intriguing, is Georgia Tech's Jeff Sims to Florida. The Gators scored big on the recruiting trail by flipping ESPN 300 QB Jaden Rashada from Miami, but with Anthony Richardson entering the draft, there is room for an experienced QB on the roster. Sims had been inconsistent at Georgia Tech, but he is a talented dual-threat QB who has flashed big-play ability and could benefit from a fresh start. He would also give the Gators' QB room a player in the mold of Richardson who is arguably a slightly stronger passer. Sims would likely also come in with tempered expectations as compared to some other transfer QBs, allowing for a good fit and competitive offseason QB battle."

Why is that whenever I read about Tech players in the national media the last few years, it always seems to be about about FORMER player. Never read öööö about Waller when he was at Tech. Or Jordan Mason. And very little about Gibbs or Sims. Until they left Tech.

OK, I guess I read a little about Shaq Mason and Harvin when they were at Tech. But, still.

"Craig Haubert: There are plenty of big names out there. And one who may be a long shot, but could be intriguing, is Georgia Tech's Jeff Sims to Florida. The Gators scored big on the recruiting trail by flipping ESPN 300 QB Jaden Rashada from Miami, but with Anthony Richardson entering the draft, there is room for an experienced QB on the roster. Sims had been inconsistent at Georgia Tech, but he is a talented dual-threat QB who has flashed big-play ability and could benefit from a fresh start. He would also give the Gators' QB room a player in the mold of Richardson who is arguably a slightly stronger passer. Sims would likely also come in with tempered expectations as compared to some other transfer QBs, allowing for a good fit and competitive offseason QB battle."

Why is that whenever I read about Tech players in the national media the last few years, it always seems to be about about FORMER player. Never read öööö about Waller when he was at Tech. Or Jordan Mason. And very little about Gibbs or Sims. Until they left Tech.

OK, I guess I read a little about Shaq Mason and Harvin when they were at Tech. But, still.
Probably because Gef took all the air out of the room with a ööööty W/L record (which causes people to not pay attention) and all his goofy antics which directed focus from players to himself.

Media bias. It's real. It's everywhere in all categories of media coverage. The bulk of media pundits and writers are comprised of journalism majors. How many sports writers are there working for established, wide reaching publications with Georgia Tech degrees?

They also like to write to get the most attention and appeal to the largest market size. The big schools have bigger alumni bases and bigger followings. Advertising pays the bills for most publications and advertisers like eyeballs. More coverage will go where the dolla, dolla bills are. Advertising is also of a similar club as journalism. They like to keep walls around the ecosystem.

Thankfully that is slowly changing as accessibility to media platforms is opening up. But the old guard won't give it up easily and they like to protect what they think belongs to them. Twitter is a prime example. It took someone with the ability to leverage many tens of billions of dollars to wrest control from the old, established media guard.

When it comes to sports media coverage, Georgia Tech has always been an outsider. George Carlin said it best, "It's a big club and you ain't in it." But the times, they are a changing.

While that is true, his other problem was long range accuracy, too often it looked like he was just flinging it downfield. He had plenty of arm strength to get the ball there; but it was like he couldn't anticipate the timing of when the receiver would be there. Short passes he seemed fine with, throwing to a spot might work too.

The Duke game he was finishing his runs strong and looking like he was giving more effort than we were used to seeing. That could work well in a lot of places.

Not that it matters, but think a Gus Mahlzan style zone-read attack would suit him best ala Auburn in mid-2010s or Texas when they had Vince Young. Run based offense with simplified zone reads and a passing game that is a counter to the run game without a ton of pre or post snap reads to make. Kid is an athlete and should take full advantages of his strengths.

I was listening to the ESPNU station on SiriusXM this morning, and as they were talking about transfer portal realities these days and special challenges for more prestigious institutions, like ours, Jeff Sims came up. They noted Sims announced his intentions to enter the portal before Key was named HC, but now perhaps Sims could be recruited back to GT. Coffee about snorted out of my nose as I was driving, it sounded so ridiculous to hear that conversation with a straight face, but am I missing something? Is there any world in which we want him back on The Flats or that the coaching staff would want him back on the team?

I was listening to the ESPNU station on SiriusXM this morning, and as they were talking about transfer portal realities these days and special challenges for more prestigious institutions, like ours, Jeff Sims came up. They noted Sims announced his intentions to enter the portal before Key was named HC, but now perhaps Sims could be recruited back to GT. Coffee about snorted out of my nose as I was driving, it sounded so ridiculous to hear that conversation with a straight face, but am I missing something? Is there any world in which we want him back on The Flats or that the coaching staff would want him back on the team?
More likely these guys just read news headlines on Sims transferring and not any deeper into what happened.

Back