Post Game discussion thread

I did just that last year for the ugay game. I was so happy we were competitative, unlike previously. Everyone I was close to felt the same way.
Agreed. When your team is clearly inferior but plays the superior team a close game you can feel good about losing.

That wasn’t the case against Syracuse though. If either team had more talent it was probably us. Those are the types of games you need to win to have a good team instead of a mediocre team.

Agreed. When your team is clearly inferior but plays the superior team a close game you can feel good about losing.

That wasn’t the case against Syracuse though. If either team had more talent it was probably us. Those are the types of games you need to win to have a good team instead of a mediocre team.
I agree. I’m not happy we lost. But I am happy that we didn’t give up and made it exciting at the end. I haven’t seen any evidence that anyone is happy we lost.

Most frustrating about this game is that we have been fed this narrative about “mental toughness,” “mean in the trenches,” and other platitudes about building a blue collar team that reflects the coach, and then we look like we showed up for afternoon tea with whatever manufactured dispute came from Key not knowing how to work the media. We looked soft and unmotivated on both lines. Getting beat is one thing. Looking soft and unmotivated is another.

Most frustrating about this game is that we have been fed this narrative about “mental toughness,” “mean in the trenches,” and other platitudes about building a blue collar team that reflects the coach, and then we look like we showed up for afternoon tea with whatever manufactured dispute came from Key not knowing how to work the media. We looked soft and unmotivated on both lines. Getting beat is one thing. Looking soft and unmotivated is another.
Our rushed fourth down try was a great example of not being physically tougher than the defense. Our OL collapsed. There were two tacklers in the backfield making the tackle. Even King's first TD run would have been a 3-4 yard loss in most cases because the OL failed

Sorry to crash the pity party going on in here but if you can't see that we are an order of magnitude better than we were last year then you are more than welcome to get off at the next stop.

It's fine to piss and moan within the 24-hour window. I already kicked my cat (Mr.Bigglesworth) into next week and shot several holes in the neighbor's above-ground pool but tomorrow, I'll be ready to battle the mighty and fierce Keydets of VMI.

If there are any among my StinGTalk brethren lacking the necessary sackitude for said battle, you are forgiven in advance and asked to refresh your tampon reserves and begin preparations for the required victory sammiches.

I uh...definitely can't see that. We were a pretty solid team last year, especially by the end.

Perhaps we will be better this year, but with only two games against real teams, one of which we were pretty badly outplayed, I'm not sure what you've seen to say we're an order of magnitude better than a team that went 7-6 and played the #1 team in the country to an 8 point loss.

It's just one loss and the world certainly isn't ending (and I still am a big Key supporter), but questioning how people can't see that we're an order of magnitude better than last year after we just got sliced up by 'Cuse is reminiscent of, "If you can't see the progress on the field you're not looking."

I agree. I’m not happy we lost. But I am happy that we didn’t give up and made it exciting at the end. I haven’t seen any evidence that anyone is happy we lost.
I’m happy that due to my friends at DirectTV I watched this game on my telephone instead of my TV. This made it easier to bear.

We looked like Florida State in the trenches.

We played like dog-öööö for 3 quarters, got out coached for most of the game, and still nearly won. Like CBK says, consistency is the next part. He has to figure out how to keep his players and coordinators from having a let-down performance.
In particular, not having a let-down performance in games we are favored in, which has seemed particularly difficult. I think the only wins we have in that are against FBS are Ga St this year and UVA last year.

Hopefully this will come across in a positive light:

Thought the team was not “all together in the correct mindset” during the opening Kickoff.

Why?

The coverage team and their action(s).

Believe that they are coached to run to the end zone even with a kick going out the back of the end zone. If you look at the film, not all members ran with the same intensity and effort to the end zone. If fact, at least one cut it off short and did not make it to the end zone.

Maybe a small thing.

To me it indicated that they were not 100% committed to the plan/process at that time.

The good news, this is fixable by coaching.

THWG.

We played like dog-öööö for 3 quarters, got out coached for most of the game, and still nearly won. Like CBK says, consistency is the next part. He has to figure out how to keep his players and coordinators from having a let-down performance.
Glad to see you included the coordinators. I am willing to give Santucci somewhat of a pass. He needs BIG STRONG FAST linemen and linebackers, but for now he can only (hopefully) coach up what we have. But Buster is the one who baffles me. He spent the first half of last season trying to find out just what he had, and once he did, we were powerful on O. This year, he knows (or should know) what we have, but so far it seems to be the same ole / same ole from the first half of last season. Plus, even last year, he just doesn't seem to me to have a killer instinct. I like what he has brought to the O, but c'mon man....DON'T HOLD BACK

Glad to see you included the coordinators. I am willing to give Santucci somewhat of a pass. He needs BIG STRONG FAST linemen and linebackers, but for now he can only (hopefully) coach up what we have. But Buster is the one who baffles me. He spent the first half of last season trying to find out just what he had, and once he did, we were powerful on O. This year, he knows (or should know) what we have, but so far it seems to be the same ole / same ole from the first half of last season. Plus, even last year, he just doesn't seem to me to have a killer instinct. I like what he has brought to the O, but c'mon man....DON'T HOLD BACK
An anomaly indeed....the CBF mindset. Not using the perceived fastest guy (Singleton) on the team in more of the offense is baffling as well as the TE (Avery Boyd) who seems to make big plays every time he gets a chance.
The offense needed to do something to soften the Syracuse defense up because our o-line couldn't do anything with them, and we waited too long. Now's the time to open up the playbook and attack. Haynes King can't do it all by himself.

Pretty sure there is more to this than meets the eye.

I'm gonna dig into it a little bit and see if I can figure it out.
Ok - I had a suspicion that Brown might have been part of the Syracuse program when we played Syracuse in the 2001 Kick-Off Classic. Syracuse's HC made some comments leading up to the game that GT was too soft to play the kind of football Syracuse played so O'Leary ran Joe Burns up the middle like 40 times and, at the end of the game, downed the ball at the Syracuse 1 yard line to end the game - it was brutal. Key was a Grad Asst under O'Leary for that game so he was there.

So when Brown basically accused Key of saying the same thing, it sounded so familiar I thought maybe it was related but I can't veryify Brown was anywhere near the Syracuse program in 2001. So nvr mind.

So did we, at least on defense. And McCord isn't the second coming of Tom Brady like some on here want to believe.
Whether it means anything, McCord was in the top 5 QBs in US in his class 4 yrs ago.At Ohio st he learned to play at high level at least.So giving up 381 pass yds to him is not good but understandable..Its OUR OFF that didn't get it done.

Whether it means anything, McCord was in the top 5 QBs in US in his class 4 yrs ago.At Ohio st he learned to play at high level at least.So giving up 381 pass yds to him is not good but understandable..Its OUR OFF that didn't get it done.
The problem is, unless their offensive line is of the same caliber, we're going to struggle on defense against worse QBs too if we can't generate any pressure on them. Hoping a worse QB makes bad throws from a clean pocket isn't a viable strategy.

In other news, King only has one INT after 3 games - wasn't it off of a tipped pass? And his completion percentage is at 76.

I'm not reading too much into the Syracuse game. I think we are just tired. We are 1 of only 2 teams in the country that have already played 3 games (SMU) and 2 of them were on the road.

Back