Sadly,it is time to drop UGA...

Nobody is trying to argue that we aren't at a disadvantage with regards to UGAy, myself least especially. I'm a realist, I understand the trends and the disadvantages. My only message here is really that nothing is permanent, especially in this game, and it changes in very hard to predict ways. As for the Texas/A&M decision, I do feel that it was a bad one. The all-time record stands at 76-37-5, which does effectively mean aTm will remain the losers of the contest for 200+ years, no matter what happens at either school. Maybe aTm is propelled to perpetual greatness and rankings and recruits, but if they never play Texas and win it on the field, it's all just talk and speculation when they claim to be the better team/program.

At the end of the day it's probably going to come down to opinion, but I attach a higher price to a permanent losing record than I do to a difficult game.

So you are saying that it still bothers you that Sewanee has a winning record against us...or whoever? Come on man, if you are white do you still owe blacks something today because of what happened 150 years ago? Let it go. Does RC Cola consider themselves losers because they realize they can't compete with Coke and Pepsi? They are still a good company, they just don't need to celebrate by getting their teeth kicked in every year by trying to win the McD's account. Are you a loser because you live in Atlanta, which is a smaller city than New York? Drop it, UGA is holding you close to them. They are winning only because we let them hold us in the exact position they want. Change the tables on them!

Edit: This would be so easy to do but people's emotions have to be put aside first. It's business.

So you are saying that it still bothers you that Sewanee has a winning record against us...or whoever? Come on man, if you are white do you still owe blacks something today because of what happened 150 years ago? Let it go. Does RC Cola consider themselves losers because they realize they can't compete with Coke and Pepsi? They are still a good company, they just don't need to celebrate by getting their teeth kicked in every year by trying to win the McD's account. Are you a loser because you live in Atlanta, which is a smaller city than New York? Drop it, UGA is holding you close to them. They are winning only because we let them hold us in the exact position they want. Change the tables on them!

Edit: This would be so easy to do but people's emotions have to be put aside first. It's business.

Drinking and posting?

Where's Sweanee in our fight song, again? This isn't RC cola quitting in the competition for the McD's account, it's RC cola deciding it doesn't want to be in the cola market anymore because it can't compete for the McD's account, so it just goes and makes competitor products to smaller companies in different markets. Sure we could be a good team without a Georgia rivalry, but we'd have to be a way different one. We're talking about walking away from some team-defining traditions and a pretty big erstwhile game because it's hard to win at the moment.

Besides, we already decided to quit once in football when it looked like things weren't stacking up our way, look at the table we could've been sitting at now.

Where's Sweanee in our fight song, again? This isn't RC cola quitting in the competition for the McD's account, it's RC cola deciding it doesn't want to be in the cola market anymore because it can't compete for the McD's account, so it just goes and makes competitor products to smaller companies in different markets. Sure we could be a good team without a Georgia rivalry, but we'd have to be a way different one. We're talking about walking away from some team-defining traditions and a pretty big erstwhile game because it's hard to win at the moment.

Besides, we already decided to quit once in football when it looked like things weren't stacking up our way, look at the table we could've been sitting at now.

I know it's very difficult but dropping UGA allows the following:
1) The ACC gets stronger because the one single school that is holding it back is GT. Let Clem and FSU compete, they are competing with both arms untied, not unlike their instate rival.
2) We could build a fan base twice the size of today's. Folks just refuse to remember that Maryland dropped Navy because they were getting their ass kicked. Who remembers ten years later? A&M the same. Make ourselves more available to the state and we could double in fan base and we really really need that. This is by far the biggest reason to drop the game.
3) Bowl games would be much better attended partly because of a bigger base and partly because we won't feel like crap on December 1.
4) We have a big recruiting albatross hanging on us. Accordingly we never have depth and have no business playing a Top 25 schedule every year.
5) However if we dropped UGA we could travel more and enjoy playing Texas, USC, UCLA, Stanford, ND, etc.
6) Offseason would be fun and if we played UGA first, we'd have long off season expectation instead of long off-season lament. I'd drop them though.
7) Recruiting would finish more positively particularly instate.
8) Instate politics could change to our favor.
etc. etc.

Your points are not without merit. In the end, I think we just have a difference in opinion of what is important to us as fans, or at least how important each aspect is. I think we've both probably stated our case. Thanks for the civil discussion though. That's not the mode around here. :lol:

Your points are not without merit. In the end, I think we just have a difference in opinion of what is important to us as fans, or at least how important each aspect is. I think we've both probably stated our case. Thanks for the civil discussion though. That's not the mode around here. :lol:

Enjoyed it too. I get on my high horse on this subject around this time of year in particular because it's the only time folks even consider the thought for a moment.

As it stands otherwise, Tech will continue on and Tech will continue to beat UGA 1 or 2 out of 10 times. I personally can't live with that and want to find other answers.

1) The ACC gets stronger because the one single school that is holding it back is GT. Let Clem and FSU compete, they are competing with both arms untied, not unlike their instate rival.
2) We could build a fan base twice the size of today's. Folks just refuse to remember that Maryland dropped Navy because they were getting their ass kicked. Who remembers ten years later? A&M the same. Make ourselves more available to the state and we could double in fan base and we really really need that. This is by far the biggest reason to drop the game.
3) Bowl games would be much better attended partly because of a bigger base and partly because we won't feel like crap on December 1.
4) We have a big recruiting albatross hanging on us. Accordingly we never have depth and have no business playing a Top 25 schedule every year.
5) However if we dropped UGA we could travel more and enjoy playing Texas, USC, UCLA, Stanford, ND, etc.
6) Offseason would be fun and if we played UGA first, we'd have long off season expectation instead of long off-season lament. I'd drop them though.
etc. etc.

Stopped reading after you said Clemson was competing more than us.. they just got schlobberknocked by a team uga beat and we went to double overtime... they have also lost 5iar... If anyone should drop a game it's Clemson with usce

etc. etc.

This all sounds like a bunch of wishful thinking. I can't envision any true positives coming out of running away from the uga matchup. Honestly, you talk about us dropping a series because we can't match up well with them, yet you list Tech arranging OOC games with top tier football programs as a benefit of dropping the game? What happens when we can't compete in those either? Do we drop those too, and start scheduling FCS opponents?

Secondly, how do you imagine instate recruiting improving when everyone who grows up in the state knows that Tech dropped the series because it admittedly couldn't compete? How do you honestly expect to sell that to a kid? "Hey son, you should really consider Georgia Tech. You know, we don't try to really compete with those guys that are just way over our heads, but you'll have a memorable four years beating up on North Carolina and Virginia."

I could go on, but that list of "benefits" is downright laughable to me. I would be disgusted to no end if Tech decided to just quit on the uga series. Additionally, I would guarantee that a significant chunk of the fanbase, including a portion of what strong boosters we do have will revolt, and give up on the football program. Dropping the series, in my opinion, would be about as destructive to the program as you think it would be beneficial.

The only thing is be in favor of is occasionally replacing UGA game with Alabama, Auburn, or Tennessee at the GA dome and they do the same with Clemson or something.

Said before and I'll say it again - when Tech drops Georgia, I drop Tech.

The minute we give up trying to be better than them in every way possible; the minute we concede anything to those butt-sniffing mongrels, all is lost.

One more thing: what if we dropped UGa after the 1987 game or the 1997 game or the 2007 game? Would you guys really trade the wins we have, rare as they are, just so you could avoid the butthurt of the losses? Not me. The gut wrenching pain of the losses will subside but the glory of those wins is eternal.

The minute we give up trying to be better than them in every way possible; the minute we concede anything to those butt-sniffing mongrels, all is lost.

One more thing: what if we dropped UGa after the 1987 game or the 1997 game or the 2007 game? Would you guys really trade the wins we have, rare as they are, just so you could avoid the butthurt of the losses? Not me. The gut wrenching pain of the losses will subside but the glory of those wins is eternal.

This! Excellent post and good job by all.

QUOTE]

00, do you support academic exceptions for SA's? a Business degree without a calculus requirement?

This. +1000

QUOTE]

00, do you support academic exceptions for SA's? a Business degree without a calculus requirement?

I support SAs taking business calc at Perimeter during the summer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

If you want to drop the UGA game, you're a bitch. You should either go back to the kitchen or go work a corner.

Honestly, MacDaddy, the only thing I do support is relaxing the admissions standards in the case of kids who were not adequately prepared in high school but who can otherwise demonstrate the smarts and work ethic to earn a degree from GT. Even Harvard has "special admits" - kids the school takes a chance on provided there is some evidence he/she can make it.

As far as academic requirements, to me, its up to the individual college. If Tech's business school says you need calculus then you take it and you pass it. In my opinion, if you don't understand calculus, you'll never truly understand finance, micro economics or macro economics so a degree in it would be very Dwagish.

I don't want to blur the academic distinction between Georgia Tech and Georgia. But doesn't mean we can't admit some guys who can't get the GPA or SAT or ACT or whatever as long as they seem like credible Tech students.

I do not ever want to see an inarticulate moron like the kind that play for UGa in a Tech uniform. Ever. We have to beat them without becoming them.

Mark Richt ain't going anywhere and the SEC media hype over the past 7 years only fuels their recruiting further. Don't see anything changing in the series for maybe ten years or longer.
Correct, Mark Richt is not an old man and with the new 2014 SEC network coming in you are totally on the mark.

Posts like this are like the other self-demeaning posts that whiners make after we win something but need a reason to complain. We didn't beat #1 Alabama in Tuscaloosa? We didn't accomplish anything! With that viewpoint you'll never enjoy your team, especially if we replace UGA with another Tulane/MTSU level opponent, victory over whom you won't want to celebrate, and a loss to whom you'll probably dislike more than any loss to UGA.
There is no loss to any school i would dislike more that losing to the Gaggers.

Anyone thinking we need to drop the dwags needs to grow an ööööing sack. Like some of the previous folks said, loosen requirements for SAs. It will in no way shape or form diminish the prestige of our degrees. Hell I never saw any football players or other SAs in any of my ME classes, Calcs, etc. There are VERY few people on the planet that could sucessfully go through the curriculum of a Georgia Tech Engineering degree AND the rigors of playing football for a BCS school.

Back