Sadly,it is time to drop UGA...

Anyone thinking we need to drop the dwags needs to grow an ööööing sack. Like some of the previous folks said, loosen requirements for SAs. It will in no way shape or form diminish the prestige of our degrees. Hell I never saw any football players or other SAs in any of my ME classes, Calcs, etc. There are VERY few people on the planet that could sucessfully go through the curriculum of a Georgia Tech Engineering degree AND the rigors of playing football for a BCS school.
I don't think loosening requirements fixes anything. We need to develop more programs (we need to do this, independent of football needs, regardless). We don't have communications or sports sciences or any of the things in which most schools hide their athletes

Stopped reading after you said Clemson was competing more than us.. they just got schlobberknocked by a team uga beat and we went to double overtime... they have also lost 5iar... If anyone should drop a game it's Clemson with usce

Well if you aren't going to be fair with the discussion then it's certainly useless but I'll try:

Since SC to the SEC, Clemson has won 12 times to USCe 10 times.

Since 2000, Clemson 7, USCe 7.

USCe is on a short term roll, but Clemson is no where close to where we are with UGA. All time, it's Clemson 65 -42-4.

This discussion is not about one or five football games. The reason I have come to my conclusion is because I've been beating my head against the wall since the mid 60's. After awhile you grow up and look for answers, exactly as we are taught at good schools.

Well if you aren't going to be fair with the discussion then it's certainly useless but I'll try:

Since SC to the SEC, Clemson has won 12 times to USCe 10 times.

Since 2000, Clemson 7, USCe 7.

USCe is on a short term roll, but Clemson is no where close to where we are with UGA. All time, it's Clemson 65 -42-4.

This discussion is not about one or five football games. The reason I have come to my conclusion is because I've been beating my head against the wall since the mid 60's. After awhile you grow up and look for answers, exactly as we are taught at good schools.

If Clemson is so great then why do we own them?

This all sounds like a bunch of wishful thinking. I can't envision any true positives coming out of running away from the uga matchup. Honestly, you talk about us dropping a series because we can't match up well with them, yet you list Tech arranging OOC games with top tier football programs as a benefit of dropping the game?

I would much rather enjoy playing different big D1 schools than UGA. I miss Auburn, Tennessee, Alabama, Notre Dame, the occassional USCe, USCw, etc. As it stands with our new conference scheduling playing just about anybody except maybe BYU is down the drain. We already play a tough schedule and we always have no depth to get through a season. Some of us would consider this a positive. That is to have a bit more freedom to enjoy other parts of the country.

What happens when we can't compete in those either? Do we drop those too, and start scheduling FCS opponents? Well I never said we'd do any better except I strongly believe we would play these near the front of the schedule where depth doesn't matter as much. As a minimum, I think it completely crazy that we don't move UGA to the front, where it helps us.

Secondly, how do you imagine instate recruiting improving when everyone who grows up in the state knows that Tech dropped the series because it admittedly couldn't compete? How do you honestly expect to sell that to a kid? "Hey son, you should really consider Georgia Tech. You know, we don't try to really compete with those guys that are just way over our heads, but you'll have a memorable four years beating up on North Carolina and Virginia." I shouldn't bother but I will. #1: We already have completely lost any instate recruiting to UGA, et al. If you want that back, you have to drop PJ. #2: Your suggestion, if it happens, will last for a year or two. Tech is in the BCS, plays a tough schedule including much bigger powers Miami, FSU, and also Clemson, VPI, etc.

I could go on, but that list of "benefits" is downright laughable to me. I would be disgusted to no end if Tech decided to just quit on the uga series. Additionally, I would guarantee that a significant chunk of the fanbase, including a portion of what strong boosters we do have will revolt, and give up on the football program. Dropping the series, in my opinion, would be about as destructive to the program as you think it would be beneficial.

I don't agree, but here I do see your argument. If people got disgusted, it would only last a short time. When they realized that we could pick up new fans, enjoy the bowl season, etc., I think people would look back and realize it was a good move. Part of the reason we dont' win more is because we put this game on such a high pedestal. Why anymore?

Anyone thinking we need to drop the dwags needs to grow an ööööing sack. Like some of the previous folks said, loosen requirements for SAs This is not going to happen, consider something that may. It will in no way shape or form diminish the prestige of our degrees. Hell I never saw any football players or other SAs in any of my ME classes, Calcs, etc. There are VERY few people on the planet that could sucessfully go through the curriculum of a Georgia Tech Engineering degree AND the rigors of playing football for a BCS school.

See bold.

If Clemson is so great then why do we own them?

We don't own Clemson. Since we started playing Clemson in SC and Atlanta every other year, the series is Clemson 17, Tech 16. If you go back to the VERY FIRST game we allowed to play in SC (1974), the record is 18-18.

Regardless keep focus on the real argument here.

There was a long thread on The Hive that was nuked due to the name-calling and I was in that thread.

I am also sick to death of losing to them as well. I only witnessed only ONE victory against them and that was waaay back in 1985!! I missed 1989 and 1999. It is incredible when one goes back and look at the series and how horribly lopsided it has become. Over there, the OP posted that GT has won in Atlanta only EIGHT times since 1955! That's freaking INSANE!!

Thus..I would favor ending the series. But I also understand the ramifications of ending the series. We would never hear the end of it. We think our relationship with the average Georgian is bad enough, imagine how bad it would be if we walked out on it.

I do believe we should issue an ultimatum to UGAg: We are moving this game in Atlanta to Labor Day weekend. We'll see you there...if not, consider it a forfeit. You can schedule whenever you want it in Athens, but for now, the games in the odd-number years will be on Labor Day weekend. ciao.

Looking further down the road, I seriously believe the series will eventually end...on its own. And it will come from UGAg. Not that they are tired of kicking our asses each year...believe me, they aren't. But the SEC moving to a nine game conference schedule. UGAg already plays an annual game in Jacksonville with the Gators and having a nine game schedule in the odd-number seasons makes for some interesting scheduling conflicts if the dwags want to keep a seven-game home schedule. Plus neither GT or UGAg will give up the creampuffs as well. So...unless the dwags can come up with a schedule that fits the odd-number seasons, GT may be the team to jettison. Of course, they may go on and on like Penn State did to Pitt...blather on about, "You have become beneath the level of our competition...good luck, little brother." And the media will eat that up.

That is what I hope happen in the end.

I, like others, are simply sick of this game and losing to them annually. Its gotten old and pointless. People talk about "how things go in cycles." But we have been waiting on that cycle to turn the other way for over 50 years now. I don't have THAT much time left (I'm 53), and I want to enjoy GT football in my later years without being depressed each December.

GO JACKETS!!
byteback

We already have completely lost any instate recruiting to UGA, et al. If you want that back, you have to drop PJ.

Right, because before CPJ we were dominating in-state recruiting against uGA. Then CPJ had to go and cause us to stop taking so many kids from them.

We get it - you hate Georgia Tech and Paul Johnson. I'm sure there are other teams you can follow until CPJ is gone in a few years.

Right, because before CPJ we were dominating in-state recruiting against uGA. Then CPJ had to go and cause us to stop taking so many kids from them.

We get it - you hate Georgia Tech and Paul Johnson. I'm sure there are other teams you can follow until CPJ is gone in a few years.

Actually I don't hate PJ at all. I'd keep him as a coach. I wish he'd take more exceptions if that is an issue.

My comment is based on years of watching the Super Southern 100, Top Ten in Georgia, Top 50 in Georgia, etc. Even when we struggled against UGA's depth, going back to the 60's, we regularly got 4 or 5 top recruits in the south. We do not today. We are lucky to get one, maybe two.

The reason is simple. PJ takes smarter, smaller, but quicker OL, athletic first QB's, and quicker A backs. Only at B back and WR would we compete for top players. And at WR, they have to block and 17 year olds want to catch.

I could continue but PJ's offense and winning with Navy players attitude (and he does it), is what I was referencing. I was not attacking PJ otherwise.

As to Tech, I think I love Tech athletics more than you do. You just can't see why yet. But honestly, that is okay. Ten or twenty years ago I would never imagined me suggesting these things today.

I do wish more folks would consider the conversation and I have been consistent in the off-season for three years now. Folks only listen for a moment during early December though.

There was a long thread on The Hive that was nuked due to the name-calling and I was in that thread.

I am also sick to death of losing to them as well. I only witnessed only ONE victory against them and that was waaay back in 1985!! I missed 1989 and 1999. It is incredible when one goes back and look at the series and how horribly lopsided it has become. Over there, the OP posted that GT has won in Atlanta only EIGHT times since 1955! That's freaking INSANE!!

Thus..I would favor ending the series. But I also understand the ramifications of ending the series. We would never hear the end of it. We think our relationship with the average Georgian is bad enough, imagine how bad it would be if we walked out on it.

I do believe we should issue an ultimatum to UGAg: We are moving this game in Atlanta to Labor Day weekend. We'll see you there...if not, consider it a forfeit. You can schedule whenever you want it in Athens, but for now, the games in the odd-number years will be on Labor Day weekend. ciao.

Looking further down the road, I seriously believe the series will eventually end...on its own. And it will come from UGAg. Not that they are tired of kicking our asses each year...believe me, they aren't. But the SEC moving to a nine game conference schedule. UGAg already plays an annual game in Jacksonville with the Gators and having a nine game schedule in the odd-number seasons makes for some interesting scheduling conflicts if the dwags want to keep a seven-game home schedule. Plus neither GT or UGAg will give up the creampuffs as well. So...unless the dwags can come up with a schedule that fits the odd-number seasons, GT may be the team to jettison. Of course, they may go on and on like Penn State did to Pitt...blather on about, "You have become beneath the level of our competition...good luck, little brother." And the media will eat that up.

That is what I hope happen in the end.

I, like others, are simply sick of this game and losing to them annually. Its gotten old and pointless. People talk about "how things go in cycles." But we have been waiting on that cycle to turn the other way for over 50 years now. I don't have THAT much time left (I'm 53), and I want to enjoy GT football in my later years without being depressed each December.

GO JACKETS!!
byteback

Maybe it's an age thing as I'm just a bit older. Or maybe testosterone diminishes and one can start to think for a moment? :) (I should honestly add that I am in the very top tier for being competitive. I want to win in the end and dumping UGA or moving them upfront gives us more of a chance.)

It's not Georgia Tech's or UGA's fault that you get so butthurt and get your panties in a wad over a football game.

I know it's very difficult but dropping UGA allows the following:
1) The ACC gets stronger because the one single school that is holding it back is GT. Let Clem and FSU compete, they are competing with both arms untied, not unlike their instate rival.
2) We could build a fan base twice the size of today's. Folks just refuse to remember that Maryland dropped Navy because they were getting their ass kicked. Who remembers ten years later? A&M the same. Make ourselves more available to the state and we could double in fan base and we really really need that. This is by far the biggest reason to drop the game.
3) Bowl games would be much better attended partly because of a bigger base and partly because we won't feel like crap on December 1.
4) We have a big recruiting albatross hanging on us. Accordingly we never have depth and have no business playing a Top 25 schedule every year.
5) However if we dropped UGA we could travel more and enjoy playing Texas, USC, UCLA, Stanford, ND, etc.
6) Offseason would be fun and if we played UGA first, we'd have long off season expectation instead of long off-season lament. I'd drop them though.
7) Recruiting would finish more positively particularly instate.
8) Instate politics could change to our favor.
etc. etc.

1) The 1 school holding the ACC back is GT? Care to elaborate a bit on how we are holding the whole conference back b/c we lose to UGAg?

2) Build a fan base twice the size? So we cannot pick up sidewalk fans now, but if we quit playing UGAg like a bunch of cowards then we would start raking in the fans? Boy it sure would be great to share a fanbase with those guys in Athens. I cant wait to see stands full of UGAg hoodie/GT hat combos. Oh wait, there would be NO ONE at BDS.

5) Enjoy losing to top tier teams in exotic locations!!!! Hooray!

7) This is without doubt the dumbest thing you've ever said or typed in public in your entire life.

8) "Hey BOR, we quit trying against y'all in football so hows 'bout giving us a break on letting us expand our curriculum a little?" I would honestly like to see evidence of where we have been blocked in the past. I keep hearing about it, but I've never seen any proof of it. Maybe its out there, I'm not saying its not. I've just never seen it. Its like the academic exceptions. People just keep saying we used to get more and now we don't get many, but there is never anything to back it up.

Show me how many years we have out recruited UGAG in the state, check the facts.

Please stop perpetuating this myth

This is no myth. Go back to O'Leary and Chan and compare the OT's then versus today. The guards are marginally different; I get that PJ puts his biggest guys on the inside. Add in that we've taken away blocking tight ends and I don't believe the size difference is a myth at all.

PJ wants guys that can get upfield as a priority. O'Leary wanted more typical pass protection first which is more of the modern game today.

This is no myth, but please understand I am not angry. Frustrated that Tech and their fans can't think out of the box more, but not angry at PJ or anyone else.

There's an awful lot of dudes in this thread that must annoy their wives when they use up all the tampons in the house.

Here goes:

1) The 1 school holding the ACC back is GT? Care to elaborate a bit on how we are holding the whole conference back b/c we lose to UGAg? FSU winning the NC will be huge but you can still hear the asterisks out there partly because when given the chance, the ACC can't beat the SEC rivals. That's FSU/Clem/and GT. Look at the records and see who perpetuates that fact more than any other school.

Add in our terrible bowl record of late...we hurt the ACC more than any other. Duke or Wake doesn't, they are supposed to stink. Tech has been near the top of the ACC for ten years and during this period the ACC has not held it's own ground against the SEC, etc.

I think facing the facts is important if you want to get ahead and that's all I want.

2) Build a fan base twice the size? So we cannot pick up sidewalk fans now, but if we quit playing UGAg like a bunch of cowards then we would start raking in the fans? Boy it sure would be great to share a fanbase with those guys in Athens. I cant wait to see stands full of UGAg hoodie/GT hat combos. Oh wait, there would be NO ONE at BDS.

This whole coward thing is way overblown. The single most cowardly act in the rivalry is how UGA doesn't count the two games they played and lost. And nobody really cares about that.

Get some thick skin. The absolute worst thing a bully has happen to him is to have people ignore him.

I think if you take away the rivalry, it would be easier to be a Tech fan. VPI dominates UVA but UVA is still loved in the state. Navy is second tier to MD but Navy is well liked. I see no other state have the issues to overcome like we do. Find a way to overcome them...and this is one.

5) Enjoy losing to top tier teams in exotic locations!!!! Hooray! Just pointing out that seeing the rest of the world at BD or away can be a positive. I'd love to go to New Orleans or Nashville regularly and I'd love to see new teams come through Atlanta.

7) This is without doubt the dumbest thing you've ever said or typed in public in your entire life. I'm sure I've said dumber...:)...Last night on tv, Pitt was playing PSU and the story went that the star Pitt player was committed to Duke but changed his mind after watching Pitt beat Duke. This happens all the time.

8) "Hey BOR, we quit trying against y'all in football so hows 'bout giving us a break on letting us expand our curriculum a little?" I would honestly like to see evidence of where we have been blocked in the past. I keep hearing about it, but I've never seen any proof of it. Maybe its out there, I'm not saying its not. I've just never seen it. Its like the academic exceptions. People just keep saying we used to get more and now we don't get many, but there is never anything to back it up.
I may be a bit older than you but go back and look at the history of the Pitt game and racial problems, go back and look at the old Georgia School of Commerce, check out UGA's votes in the SEC, etc. To suggest that it doesn't matter in this state, at the BOR, or in the capital bldg is dead wrong.

This is not the first time in my life that I analyzed something and came to a conclusion before others. When you choose to standup you choose to be attacked. I get that and I don't mind it one bit.

If you take the emotion out for a moment and really look at solving our unique problems instate, you may be surprised and come to similar conclusions. I strongly believe the debate is well worth it. Open up and give it a chance.

Back