Stephen Hill just declared for the NFL draft.

Hill's evaluations all said he would not be taken in the top 3 rounds.

Where did you hear this? Seems like most guys stick around if they aren't going to go in the early rounds. I guess he's eager to get out. Best of luck to him.

I honestly can't fault him for the drops. We never throw the ball enough for the QB or the WR to get in any kind of a rhythm.

You realize the NFL doesn't care about rhythm. You either catch the ball when it's thrown to you or not. I don't remember that many times where Bay Bay just dropped the ball his last year, but I remember O so many of Stephen's drops. He has good physical ability and can block and that really isn't in question, but there are soooo many other receivers out there that are way more complete than he is. People here are way overvaluating Hill's abilities in comparison to other receivers that will probably go into the draft.

Hill's evaluations all said he would not be taken in the top 3 rounds. I wouldn't take him earlier than 5th round, has a lot of potential but a whole lot of unknown and not dependable hands.
Good luck to him, though.

Which evaluations are those? I'm genuinely curious. If that's true, then he would be stupid not to go. Problem is I doubt that's true. I'm glad Hill has contributed so much, but his contributions and Calvin's and Bebe's are night and day.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Turns out three letters like "not" can be very important for reading comprehension.

Quite frankly, he's the first football player that I thought should have stayed another year.

You thought Tarrant should've gone? I think Tarrant's decision was among the worst.

WR is not a big concern to me. We have Jeff Greene, Darren Waller, Demon Smith, Daniel McKayhan, and Chris Jackson (who has been craving a spot on the field). We have enough talent to field two good wide-outs.

You are crazy if you think this doesn't hurt us. People said the same thing when D. Thomas left and everyone expected Hill to step up in his place the next season. We saw how that worked out. It takes time for guys to develop and we desperately need some Senior talent to stick around and lead our team. Problem is, no one seems to want the job.

Where did you hear this? Seems like most guys stick around if they aren't going to go in the early rounds. I guess he's eager to get out. Best of luck to him.

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-s...ch-for-nfl/?cxntfid=blogs_georgia_tech_sports

"Hill’s NFL draft evaluation – available to any player with eligibility remaining – said that he did not have the potential be drafted in the first three rounds. Hill acknowledged the possibility that he could go undrafted, but that “just going ahead and getting started with my career, that was my No. 1 focus.”

if a player wants to leave, there's no reason to be upset or talk ---- about him. a player who doesn't want to be at tech is no good to us. so people should stop being mad at the player. you live one life, you go where you want and do what you want. if he thinks he's got a shot at nfl now, best of luck to him. This is also why I wasn't concerned when Vad leaving rumors had started. If Vad wanted to leave, I would have said goodbye and good luck.

as far as CPJ not being able to hold onto players, it may be a valid concern. I'm not saying it holds truth or not, I just think it may be worth a discussion

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-s...ch-for-nfl/?cxntfid=blogs_georgia_tech_sports

"Hill’s NFL draft evaluation – available to any player with eligibility remaining – said that he did not have the potential be drafted in the first three rounds. Hill acknowledged the possibility that he could go undrafted, but that “just going ahead and getting started with my career, that was my No. 1 focus.”

Wow, does he have some financial needs like a baby or something? I hope his decision works out for him in the long run, he seems like a good guy. I could see him making a roster in Canada or Europe if this draft doesn't work out.

I think the biggest question to be answered is: why are we so concerned about Hill leaving? People talk about dropped passes, I've seen them all season too. Are we that depleted in WR that we can't find a good replacement? Why haven't we done a better job recruiting?

Those are the more important questions I think.

Thanks. That last quote doesn't sound good. Most of us know GT is a tough place, but it seems guys are even more eager to get out lately. I don't blame them when they know the money is there, but that doesn't appear to be the case this time. Hopefully he's able to raise his stock in the combine.

If he thinks he belongs in the NFL, then I guess he's not right for us anyway.

I think the biggest question to be answered is: why are we so concerned about Hill leaving? People talk about dropped passes, I've seen them all season too. Are we that depleted in WR that we can't find a good replacement? Why haven't we done a better job recruiting?

Those are the more important questions I think.

He can be replaced; but I still hate watching people drop opportunities; in this case the opportunity to get a degree to fall back on if football doesn't work out. I justify my financial support of GTAA to myself in part because it provides an opportunity for kids to get a degree and enrich their lives that otherwise might not otherwise have that opportunity.

You realize the NFL doesn't care about rhythm. You either catch the ball when it's thrown to you or not. I don't remember that many times where Bay Bay just dropped the ball his last year, but I remember O so many of Stephen's drops. He has good physical ability and can block and that really isn't in question, but there are soooo many other receivers out there that are way more complete than he is. People here are way overvaluating Hill's abilities in comparison to other receivers that will probably go into the draft.

Of course there are more complete WR's, but there aren't a lot more with better pure athletic ability.

Put him with some good coaching and he can correct his fundamental flaws and blossom in the NFL

Also, I think he will go alot higher in the draft than most people think.

No higher than 4th. Now 4th might be better than being a SR at Tech and having half the passes to you not even in your zip code.

You are crazy if you think this doesn't hurt us. People said the same thing when D. Thomas left and everyone expected Hill to step up in his place the next season. We saw how that worked out. It takes time for guys to develop and we desperately need some Senior talent to stick around and lead our team. Problem is, no one seems to want the job.
Hurts us some, but won't affect the outcome of next season, in my opinion. We have a lot of bigger issues than WR performance: QB play, DL talent, OL experience, kicking, etc.

I wish Mr. Hill all the best. I hope things work out for him but if I were him, I'd go ahead and get my degree. Just in case. Things don't work out. Which they might not.

I wish he didn't leave, but I could easily see him going to the combine, putting up ridiculous numbers, and going in the 3rd round based on his potential and lack of conventional WR coaching.

I hope he isn't bumming around campus like Claytor and Tarrant were this fall.

You are crazy if you think this doesn't hurt us. People said the same thing when D. Thomas left and everyone expected Hill to step up in his place the next season. We saw how that worked out.

I would say that in this case the current situation and the example you mention are related. The disappointment that followed what was indeed previously stated makes saying it towards said replacement a bit easier.

Back