Texas A&M too SEC ?

The first rule of the off-topic dungeon is there is no off-topic dungeon. It's a myth told to new posters.

I lost an entire day of work the day the d*** bitch thread hit and I know it went somewhere....:mod_smilie_shady:

I think this is post 5, let's see if I'm granted access. If so, kiss this day of work goodbye too...:cool:

FWIW, Dallas Morning News is tweeting that no one else from the Big "12" plans on following A&M. LINK & LINK

Speculation seems to suggest that adding another team to the East is most likely scenario.

SBNation Reports - No one team can blackball somebody but that U[sic]Ga, UF, UK, and USCe may team-up to blackball their rivals (since 3/4 vote is required). FWIW, they also suggest GT & Lou'llville aren't likely candidates.

I think ND will say no for awhile. In a 2-team Big 10 add, who do you see getting the calls? Also, I guess a more direct question to my post above...

Do you think who is a part of the 2-team add is dependent upon the SEC at all?
All speculation of course, but the A&M move to the SEC could provide the catalyst for the next BigTen move. They've said all along they aren't stopping at 12, it's a matter of timing.

As for who they go after, I don't think who is on the BigTen's short list has anything to do with the SEC at all. I can't fathom any school discussed as a possible SEC candidate on the BigTen's short list.

As for which two... I may be wrong about Missouri, but they sure got dumped at the altar last cycle. Others in the mix for the first two I see are Syracuse, Pitt, Maryland, Rutgers, and I pray Georgia Tech. If I had to choose two right now from that group, I'd go for Syracuse and Maryland for the increase in network subscription rates. Penn St. would finally have some playmates again in the east.

This assumes Texas and ND stay independent.

Haven't read the rest of the thread but...

I get the horrible sinking feeling that the SEC will grab A&M and OU, then two non-GT ACC schools. As much as I don't like the idea of being in the Big 10 (for away games), being in a merger between the leftovers of the ACC and the Big East would put our football back in an era of crappiness that hasn't been seen since the 70's and 80's.

The state of Oklahoma is pretty tight. Oklahoma won't go unless the SEC takes Ok St. too. I think they want to anyway. So that leaves one spot remaining. Do you go after another Texas team, or raid the ACC or the rejects from the defunct Big 12?

Why just two? Wouldn't the ACC try to get to 16 to keep pace?

I still think every decision has to be about money.

SEC adds A&M because they add money. Now the SEC might add a 14th to get balanced again that doesn't bring a huge booty like A&M, but to go from 14 to 15 or 16 one or both of #15 and #16 have to bring big money. (TV Ratings and/or TV Sets essentially because that equals money from ESPN)

I think the ACC has to get to 12 because the ACCCG is a lot of money that is off the table at 11 or 10. Team #12 has a low hurdle rate because the CCG brings plenty of extra money if team #12 doesn't bring enough.

Teams #13, #14, #15, #16 etc do not have that luxury. They need to bring a lot of money to get in on their own merit.

The state of Oklahoma is pretty tight. Oklahoma won't go unless the SEC takes Ok St. too. I think they want to anyway. So that leaves one spot remaining. Do you go after another Texas team, or raid the ACC or the rejects from the defunct Big 12?
If they have to stick together, the Pac12 will be in the running for Ok/OkSt.

If the BigTen makes a counter move to the SEC, I think Maryland is on their list and is gone. They're as disgusted with the mistreatment by the ACC leadership as we are. I think the ACC will also lose at least one to the SEC.

Personally? I do not take another Texas team. The step down is too great.*

I pray that you are right that Oklahoma will look out for Ok State. If they are a package deal that would mean the ACC losses would be one max.

Personally if I was SEC commissioner I offer FSU first, VT second and WVU third.

*The only reason I consider taking Texas Tech or Missouri is how nice it balances the divisions geographically.

Miss
Miss State
LSU
Arkansas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech

Kentucky
Vandy
Tennessee
Alabama
Auburn
Georgie
South Carolina
Florida

I see six likely powerhouses. The east ends up slightly tougher overall with the second tier big boys of Auburn and Tenessee unmatched in the west IMHO.

If the BigTen makes a counter move to the SEC, I think Maryland is on their list and is gone. They're as disgusted with the mistreatment by the ACC leadership as we are. I think the ACC will also lose at least one to the SEC.

I agree, and ironically it is a team we can afford to lose. The maryland market outside of DC is non-existant and we have two teams that flood that region with graduates.

If the SEC takes TAMU then I hope they also get WVU, and if not them then maybe Okie State

The way I see it the Pac 12 has no reason whatsoever to make a move. They are sitting pretty at 12.

IF (and that shold be a 100 point font IF) BOR is right and Texas needs a conference to be successful... (Hold your tomatoes, this is wild speculation based on Texas believing BORs endgame is inevitable)

...then this could be the most genius play of all time by Texas. By their actions resulting in A&M actually "spurning" UT and leaving them behind to go to the SEC, they will have freed themselves up to join the Pac 10 or the Big 10.

Remember that it is widely reported that Texas and these entities flirted heavily but neither seemed interested in taking A&M as part of a package deal.

FWIW, there is a lot of buzz today in Tally about FSU to SEC if TA&M gets in. The usual sentiment around here is that FSU doesn't offer anything special and won't be asked to join, but today, I've heard rumors abound.

FWIW, there is a lot of buzz today in Tally about FSU to SEC if TA&M gets in. The usual sentiment around here is that FSU doesn't offer anything special and won't be asked to join, but today, I've heard rumors abound.

If they get A&M, I think WVU or VT would be a better get for the SEC, VT proly wouldn't leave, so WVU to the SEC?

I don't know why FSU would want to join? IMO it would make it that much harder to get to a national championship.

Undefeated FSU in the ACC = MNC Game
1 Loss FSU in the SEC = no so sure

I don't know why FSU would want to join? IMO it would make it that much harder to get to a national championship.

FSU already turned the SEC down once, I could see them doing it again to stay in a conference with Miami and have a better shot at the champ game.

The way I see it the Pac 12 has no reason whatsoever to make a move. They are sitting pretty at 12.
Their motivation is the improvement in competitive strength by adding more big prestige programs. Adding #1 Oklahoma does that, even at the cost of having to bring Ok St., which is a lot more palatable than Texas being stuck with the Baylor millstone around their neck during last year's preliminaries to the coming extravaganza.

I still think every decision has to be about money.

SEC adds A&M because they add money. Now the SEC might add a 14th to get balanced again that doesn't bring a huge booty like A&M, but to go from 14 to 15 or 16 one or both of #15 and #16 have to bring big money. (TV Ratings and/or TV Sets essentially because that equals money from ESPN)

I think the ACC has to get to 12 because the ACCCG is a lot of money that is off the table at 11 or 10. Team #12 has a low hurdle rate because the CCG brings plenty of extra money if team #12 doesn't bring enough.

Teams #13, #14, #15, #16 etc do not have that luxury. They need to bring a lot of money to get in on their own merit.
May have already been mentioned, but the ACC will also weigh any incoming school's basketball resume. I know they didn't with us, or Miami, or VPI, but I think they were confident back then that they were the elite BB conference regardless. Now there will be concern about bolstering the BB reputation as well.

May have already been mentioned, but the ACC will also weigh any incoming school's basketball resume. I know they didn't with us, or Miami, or VPI, but I think they were confident back then that they were the elite BB conference regardless. Now there will be concern about bolstering the BB reputation as well.

That's why if things really start shaking up expansion-wise, the ACC should target: Pitt, Cuse, UConn and either WVU/Rutgers (assuming the rest of the conference stays intact). This would solidify NE market and certainly strengthen hoops without weakening FB.

FSU bails immediately because the SEC will have more money than the ACC.

Assuming they have any sense.

(Also, FSU seems to take pride in [theoretically]having never been scared of putting tough teams on the schedule)

Back