Texas A&M too SEC ?

For the last time, Clemson is not a school that brings anything to the SEC. Anyone who suggests they are somebody the SEC would target is delusional. The SEC doesn't need or want Clemson. They bring nothing to the table. There's no additional TV dollar that Clemson brings. FSU maybe.

GT is in a similar situation to Clemson only slightly better because as a whole we make a lot of sense to the Big Ten and if the SEC wants to block out the Big Ten from the Atlanta market, they would offer us.
What does Clemson even have going for it? Big fanbase? :dunno:

There you have it. BOR is saying Clemson is SEC bound!

jk.

I think I've read you rant against this idea about 20 times now.

That's the last time I say it. I promise! The board intelligence level goes way way down whenever we start talking expansion. People really just don't understand the rhymes and reasons why a conference targets a certain school or schools.

I mean you have one guy saying FSU to the SEC won't happen because they haven't won an ACC title in a few years. There's a lot of reasons why FSU might not be offered into the SEC. But that's not ööööing one of them.

That's the last time I say it. I promise! The board intelligence level goes way way down whenever we start talking expansion. People really just don't understand the rhymes and reasons why a conference targets a certain school or schools.

I mean you have one guy saying FSU to the SEC won't happen because they haven't won an ACC title in a few years. There's a lot of reasons why FSU might not be offered into the SEC. But that's not ööööing one of them.

I feel the same way when every so often someone goes to bat for Navy as an ACC expansion candidate. It is dumb on so many levels that it makes my head hurt.

According to reports FSU has scheduled a regents meeting to discuss moving to the SEC Aug 22. Personally I think they would go in a heartbeat if offered.

According to reports FSU has scheduled a regents meeting to discuss moving to the SEC Aug 22. Personally I think they would go in a heartbeat if offered.

Why? Perhaps they think they have an easier road to the BCS in the ACC

If it happens, then the ACC ruined themselves. Regional rivalries would have improved fan bases.

If it happens, then the ACC ruined themselves. Regional rivalries would have improved fan bases.

I hope someone from the ACC--commish, presidents, whoever--are talking with FSU and otherwise circling the wagons.

Nothing. They are in SC and USC already provides the value for the entire state for the SEC. Adding Clemson doesn't add value to the SEC.

Respectfully disagree - Clemson is at least half the state and probably has a bigger fanbase than SC. They averaged about the same attendance last year even though SC had their best season in decades and Clemson was 6-7.

Does that mean the SEC values half of SC more than it would value adding Texas (no) or West Virginia (prolly)? No. But its pretty shortsighted to say that adding Clemson adds no value to the SEC. SC is pretty divided - adding Clemson probably brings them from around 50% market penetration to close to 100%. Again, gaining a big chunk of SCs market may not be worth that much to the SEC, but saying it adds no value is unreasonable.

Finally something I can agree with.

I agree with this too. Half the board acts like purported experts on the issue of expansion. They ignore that they don't have access to the hundreds of pages of market reports and other information that the schools are privy to. There isn't a single person on this board, myself included, who can speak informatively on what the conferences are after. Most, if not all of us, don't have access to every one of the ACC presidents and commissioner. We don't know the thoughts and inclinations of each and every member institute. None of us have spent near the time required to have a clue on the process.

Respectfully disagree - Clemson is at least half the state and probably has a bigger fanbase than SC. They averaged about the same attendance last year even though SC had their best season in decades and Clemson was 6-7.

Does that mean the SEC values half of SC more than it would value adding Texas (no) or West Virginia (prolly)? No. But its pretty shortsighted to say that adding Clemson adds no value to the SEC. SC is pretty divided - adding Clemson probably brings them from around 50% market penetration to close to 100%. Again, gaining a big chunk of SCs market may not be worth that much to the SEC, but saying it adds no value is unreasonable.

No one is saying they literally add nothing, but market-wise they add nothing. SEC already has the entire SC market. Adding another team within that footprint does nothing to add to the TV footprint.

TV isn't going to value the 100% penetration over the 50% penetration proportionally.

Not in terms of TV market. The SEC already has access to as much of the TV market as they can get in SC just a it already has TV access to the entire state of Georgia, despite a few GT fans.

Put it this way, if MSU was not already part of the SEC then I doubt they would be a prime target. Candidates would either need ot expand the reach or add prestige. (You might see Clemson as having enough prestige to be a target.)

Back