The Diesel # 21 hating on Tech

I'm surprised he said all this, but it's not a big secret that the Gailey players that think they should be playing have been a cancer in the locker room and boo hooing. This issue will go away when the last of the Gailey guys are gone.

I'm surprised he said all this, but it's not a big secret that the Gailey players that think they should be playing have been a cancer in the locker room and boo hooing. This issue will go away when the last of the Gailey guys are gone.

Our other Gailey Pros don't seem to be bitching and most are doing better in the NFL than Mr.Dwyer.

IIRC, this looks like Ross's dilemma during his first two years. Finally, during his third year, and not until after Ross had privately considered resigning, the players had a meeting and decided the only ones who could actually turn things around were the players on the field. You know the rest.

This is funny coming from someone who thought Dwyer was going to be in 1st or 2nd round (you and pretty much everyone else):
http://www.stingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=545288

to everyone's credit...I don't think everyone knew Dwyer was gonna gain an additional 18 pounds just before the NFL Combine.

as for Dwyer's fb post, he was probably just venting/had a bad day or something. No big deal. 24/7 media outlets. Whatevs.

I am not sure if aliens took over Dwyer's body or this is how he really feels, but he posted this on his Facebook:

Jon DwyerIts a shame bc no matter wat UGA tennesse or anybodies record they have a packed out game no matter wat bc they are loyal fans came to games last yr bc we where winning..that shoes more and more how hypocritical ppl are and just like kyle jackson until we get pack out games u can kiss the fact of being on college gamed...ay and receiving big time recruits goodbye..it also has the effects on the players

Where is this on facebook? Ive looked for two days on where this is, and when? The last post on Dwyer's facebook page is nothing like what this is showing! And the sad thing is he's gotta point. I go to every home game, and jump and cheer and yell!!! And I'll b damned if it everygame I get told to sit down, or calm down! U wanna watch the football game sittin on your ass in quiet, then stay ur ass at home!! Which most of them do!!! Tech fans arent anywhere near as loyal as most other schools, and I think u all no it! So get over what Dwyer said and worry about something esle! I no like winning the bowl game, and getting a good recruiting class! Or making sure u and anyone u can get to show up, root and hope for a Jacket W!!!

See More minutes ago ·LikeUnlike · Comment · View Feedback (7)Hide Feedback (7)
  • 2 people like this.
    • Jon Dwyer i really hope georgia tech fans get themselves together 9 minutes ago · LikeUnlike · 1 person2 people like this.

• Roderick Sweeting im telling u 5 minutes ago · LikeUnlike

• Trey Jones Falcons play the saints on MNF the same day in Atlanta. I am not missing that 5 minutes ago · LikeUnlike

• Jon Dwyer seee wat im talkin about? my point... 3 minutes ago · LikeUnlike

• Jon Dwyer scoob its sick man..like why cant yall be loyal..we bust are bodies week and week out to come to play and we barely see anybody in the stands..but UGA or whoever it is can be 3-6 and that stadium is rockin bc they care about there guys man and players respond to that... 2 minutes ago · LikeUnlike

• John Herrmann We are an elite school and our fan base is small as a result+ our stadium blows (we'd sellout if they made it a modern football stadium like UGA or UT). about a minute ago · LikeUnlike

Where is this on facebook? Ive looked for two days on where this is, and when? The last post on Dwyer's facebook page is nothing like what this is showing! And the sad thing is he's gotta point. I go to every home game, and jump and cheer and yell!!! And I'll b damned if it everygame I get told to sit down, or calm down! U wanna watch the football game sittin on your ass in quiet, then stay ur ass at home!! Which most of them do!!! Tech fans arent anywhere near as loyal as most other schools, and I think u all no it! So get over what Dwyer said and worry about something esle! I no like winning the bowl game, and getting a good recruiting class! Or making sure u and anyone u can get to show up, root and hope for a Jacket W!!!

See More minutes ago ·LikeUnlike · Comment ·

to everyone's credit...I don't think everyone knew Dwyer was gonna gain an additional 18 pounds just before the NFL Combine.

as for Dwyer's fb post, he was probably just venting/had a bad day or something. No big deal. 24/7 media outlets. Whatevs.
Those posts are well after the combine, which was discussed a lot.

Probably because GT's alumni give back moreso than any other school alumni group in the country. We have been at or near the top for over 20 years. Maybe that's why Tech doesn't think its true.

I'm aware of that fact---but I give because of the experience I had at GT---not because GT asks (they don't outside of roll call).

I can personally tell you that the push from three other schools and their effort is much greater---maybe because their undergrads don't have the same experience and they have to catch up. My grad alma mater does a lot more--events where I live, etc. My roommate's other two schools do the same. It isn't a volunteer doing their best to run an alumni club. The schools have a budget and they plan events, lectures, happy hours, etc. Tech doesn't do that nearly as often.

GT (the foundation) has done a fantastic job cultivating large donors. Other divisions (schools, colleges, athletic association, financial aid/scholarships, student affairs) need to step up and help cultivate the donor that will give $500-2000 a year, and make a larger gift near the end of their lifetime (or sooner if they end up making more money). So take these comments as directed to places other than the foundation.

For example, I give enough that they should be able to spell my freaking name right---but despite my efforts they still refuse to do so. The only call you get from GT after giving is from the roll call students--if you give through any other means--you don't hear anything about what is going on. I'm not talking about dinner. I'm talking about a school newsletter or something simple that lets you know "here's whats going on with the program you are supporting and why it is important that you continue to support it." I have a friend who donates over $1000 a year to the library. When someone else was running it, that person made sure to find him once a year on a gameday, and show him everything going on at the library. Simple. Took 30 minutes. Now my friend has heard nothing since that guy left. He's even called. Nothing.

These things run much better elsewhere. Tech has a problem, it doesn't recoginize it, because Tech as in all things, believes Tech can do no wrong.

Another example--how many of you buy seats with a license fee? Is that license fee more associated in your mind with a donation that serves a important purpose at the GTAA, or just the cost of a ticket? If GT wants to raise more money---then it needs to do more to make that PSL (especially at the AT fund member level and up), feel like a donation than buying a ticket. It isn't hard to do. One phone call. One letter explaing how it is used in detail and why its important and part of a bigger picture.

I think the foundation is very well run. I like a lot of the folks at the Alumni association and athletic association. But it doesn't change the fact that there are serious problems---often caused by how other departments choose to interact with alumni.

Last edited:
I'm aware of that fact---but I give because of the experience I had at GT---not because GT asks (they don't outside of roll call).

I can personally tell you that the push from three other schools and their effort is much greater---maybe because their undergrads don't have the same experience and they have to catch up. My grad alma mater does a lot more--events where I live, etc. My roommate's other two schools do the same. It isn't a volunteer doing their best to run an alumni club. The schools have a budget and they plan events, lectures, happy hours, etc. Tech doesn't do that nearly as often.

GT (the foundation) has done a fantastic job cultivating large donors. Other divisions (schools, colleges, athletic association, financial aid/scholarships, student affairs) need to step up and help cultivate the donor that will give $500-2000 a year, and make a larger gift near the end of their lifetime (or sooner if they end up making more money). So take these comments as directed to places other than the foundation.

For example, I give enough that they should be able to spell my freaking name right---but despite my efforts they still refuse to do so. The only call you get from GT after giving is from the roll call students--if you give through any other means--you don't hear anything about what is going on. I'm not talking about dinner. I'm talking about a school newsletter or something simple that lets you know "here's whats going on with the program you are supporting and why it is important that you continue to support it." I have a friend who donates over $1000 a year to the library. When someone else was running it, that person made sure to find him once a year on a gameday, and show him everything going on at the library. Simple. Took 30 minutes. Now my friend has heard nothing since that guy left. He's even called. Nothing.

These things run much better elsewhere. Tech has a problem, it doesn't recoginize it, because Tech as in all things, believes Tech can do no wrong.

I think the foundation is very well run. I like a lot of the folks at the Alumni association and athletic association. But it doesn't change the fact that there are serious problems---often caused by how other departments choose to interact with alumni.

We have a serious age issue too. GT has been riding on the old folks (and rightfully so, they'd donated a ton and GT has benefited immensely when you look at the change from the 60s to now) but they've pretty much completely ignored the the younger (than say 40) alumns/donors that are coming of age and having some real donating income in large numbers.

This type of problem seems to be pervasive throughout Tech. Even something as simple as buying tickets online--first of all, the interface sucks. A technology school should be able to show you what seats you are going to buy online. The fact that I had to call up and speak to a ticket broker is a little ridiculous.

Second of all--consider 2008, when we beat U[sic]GA for the first time in forever. We had a better than expected year, CPJ looked poised to bring the program to recently unseen heights, and we were going to a great bowl game in our backyard. Do you know what you were told if you called and tried to buy season tickets the week after beating U[sic]GA?

"Sorry, we're not selling them until next year." WTF? You struggle to sell tickets, program interest is at the highest point it's been at in a decade, and you literally will not sell people tickets even if they ask? Instead you wait until after we get killed in the bowl game, then a couple more months just to make sure everyone's excitement is good and settled down. Stupid.

Yes, I know there were logistical issues such as price and home schedule to work out. Yes, it was easier for them to just wait. But guess what? We're not Alabama or Auburn--we can't afford the luxury of making it hard to buy tickets. We need to be doing everything possible to not only make it easy to buy tickets, but also to encourage people to do so, and we just don't do that.

All I'm getting from Jon's bitching is that he has a bad case of "the grass is greener" syndrome.

Does he honestly think UGA fans were that loyal when they were sucking it up this year? Was he in their stadium when they played Idaho St. to see it barely half full? Hell, it wasn't even 100% full versus us. There were empty patches in the endzone and upper level.

SEC fans are notorious bandwagoners. If your team is winning, the fans are your best friends and very supportive. If your team is losing, they're likely to throw a brick in your window.

Another example--how many of you buy seats with a license fee? Is that license fee more associated in your mind with a donation that serves a important purpose at the GTAA, or just the cost of a ticket? If GT wants to raise more money---then it needs to do more to make that PSL (especially at the AT fund member level and up), feel like a donation than buying a ticket. It isn't hard to do. One phone call. One letter explaing how it is used in detail and why its important and part of a bigger picture.

Simple fix. Hire politicians who are pros at raising money.

Oh wait, we don't offer any degrees that would feed into politics.

Back