The Geoff Collins Effect!

Or, and I am just spitballing here, you option-lovers are just bad fans and we are reaping what we sowed when Paul Johnson stopped the pretense of recruiting because he knew he was retiring. I am glad Collins is pulling out all the stops to improve the team.
If Collins is pulling out all the stops then we are in trouble. He has accomplished a level of incompetence never rivaled at GT. His forte was supposedly recruiting but this years class didn't live up to the hype. Anyone watching knows he is certainly not a good game strategist or game day coach. I simply do not understand how any true GT fan can be pleased with what he has done so far but I am a bad fan so maybe that explains my dissatisfaction.

If this year goes to hell, all the excuses are gone. He replaced some of the incompetent staff, he’s got his players in here, he’s got support from the AD unlike any we’ve seen in decades, etc.

I hope one of two things happen:

a. We look like a football team this year, not the disorganized mess of the past 3 years. We get confidence that with additional staff changes he can be successful. We axe the remaining two low performers and upgrade, get on a positive trajectory.

b. We tank early and get the replacement process going. Rip the bandaid off and stop the bleeding.

If we end up with somewhere in the middle, it may be 2 full decades until we recover if at all. We’re gonna wish we were Dook or Vandy.

What about our offense under CGC has excited you? I usually get excited for things like scoring points, moving the ball effectively, and getting first downs.
I was stunned by that as well. I will take the Flex-bone over the P-nope any day. Watching the Brent Key offensive line has been one of the most depressing things I've seen on a GT game day in decades.

Our offense under CPJ was the most exciting I ever watched when it was going well. I absolutely loved it, seeing how one play set up another, looking at blocking going on one or two levels ahead, feeling that we had an answer for everything an opposing D threw at us scheme-wise. There are few things in football as good as watching a properly run triple option play develop.

In CPJ's last two years we didn't have any of that. Sure, we lined up in flexbone formation, but if I remember correctly we never even ran any plays with optionality. We ran a really tiny portion of the playbook and just hoped it worked out well enough to generate some points. It was incredibly boring and even when we won I didn't feel good about it.

Obviously I'm not going to pretend the offense has been good under CGC. But there have been flashes of talent and some things have worked. There were nice throws made and some really good runs. Unfortunately we were very inconsistent and simply didn't get the job done enough, but yeah, I enjoyed seeing the flashes of good offense under CGC more than I enjoyed seeing the mind-numbing consistent mediocrity of our offense under CPJ those last two years.

Hopefully these new coaches can coach because we know Collins is way to busy with his circus sideshow to break down the X's and O's.

Unforeseeable? Temple says Hi.
He had 7 and 8 game wins at Temple. That’s not bad at all. What coach wins more at Temple?

Georgia Tech was going to be able to hire a 9-10 win a year coach away from another P5 school.

I think Stansbury had his mind made up he was going away from the triple once Paul left.
They only interviewed two people - Collins and Whisenhunt. And they knew in the middle of the interview Whisenhunt wasn't the guy they were looking for.
Nor was he the droids they were looking for.
And they still haven't found what they're looking for.
Loved the Obi-Wan and Bono reference .

I see you've conceded that the first two years belong to the previous coach. Also, Collins hasn't coached here for four years.
Sure, I'll concede that if I saw improvement in his 3rd year, but we haven't. Seeing Temple immediately drop after Rhule's 3rd year is an indication of... Collins ineptitude, good job! You're learning!

Our offense under CPJ was the most exciting I ever watched when it was going well. I absolutely loved it, seeing how one play set up another, looking at blocking going on one or two levels ahead, feeling that we had an answer for everything an opposing D threw at us scheme-wise. There are few things in football as good as watching a properly run triple option play develop.

In CPJ's last two years we didn't have any of that. Sure, we lined up in flexbone formation, but if I remember correctly we never even ran any plays with optionality. We ran a really tiny portion of the playbook and just hoped it worked out well enough to generate some points. It was incredibly boring and even when we won I didn't feel good about it.

Obviously I'm not going to pretend the offense has been good under CGC. But there have been flashes of talent and some things have worked. There were nice throws made and some really good runs. Unfortunately we were very inconsistent and simply didn't get the job done enough, but yeah, I enjoyed seeing the flashes of good offense under CGC more than I enjoyed seeing the mind-numbing consistent mediocrity of our offense under CPJ those last two years.
I agree with everything you said until: " I enjoyed seeing the flashes of good offense under CGC more than I enjoyed seeing the mind-numbing consistent mediocrity of our offense under CPJ ."

We will just have to agree to disagree, for me its about winning games, I will take an ugly win over any loss any day of the week. Also if CGC is bought out this year or after the season because we have another non bowl season, I think our best chance for success is to hire from within! I am not sure if David Turner is another George O'leary, but there has been so much time invested in transitioning from the TO we may need to give CHIP LONG two years. I would be all about promoting from within as long as it is not Brent Key or Andrew Thacker as HC, as I am not sure why they are still employed!

Literally the coach right before him, and Temple is not a P5 school.
Of course they’re not a P-5 school. Georgia Tech does not lure good coaches with proven success away from other P5 programs. It doesn’t work like that. The Georgia Tech job is regarded as one of the most difficult in all of P5 sports. Jimbo Fisher made that crystal clear when his name surfaced for job after we fired Gailey. I think I remember he said something to the effect of “I have absolutely zero interest in ever coaching at Georgia Tech.” Which made me always kind of not like the guy.

Stansbury did not have an easy task trying to fill the Paul Johnson void. We don’t have a bunch of Nick Saban juniors lined up wanting to coach for us. And even if we did, we don’t have the money to throw at them.

Sure, I'll concede that if I saw improvement in his 3rd year, but we haven't. Seeing Temple immediately drop after Rhule's 3rd year is an indication of... Collins ineptitude, good job! You're learning!
Thanks! I'll put on some Sesame Street tapes with the Count so you know what comes between 2 and 4. Hope you like bats.

Before that I'm gonna challenge your entire worldview with the notion that the situation with Temple was a bit different than what he walked into here and it might take longer than three years to see W-L improvement.

Thanks! I'll put on some Sesame Street tapes with the Count so you know what comes between 2 and 4. Hope you like bats.

Before that I'm gonna challenge your entire worldview with the notion that the situation with Temple was a bit different than what he walked into here and it might take longer than three years to see W-L improvement.
No, it takes 3 years to see if we improve or regress. Temple regressed after 3 years. We stailmated/regressed over 3 years.

No, it takes 3 years to see if we improve or regress. Temple regressed after 3 years. We stailmated/regressed over 3 years.
Interesting, I'm learning a lot today and taking notes. So the first two years belong to the previous coach, and the third year is the litmus test.

How did we do in the third year of the previous coach, and for three years following? Would you call that improvement?

Interesting, I'm learning a lot today and taking notes. So the first two years belong to the previous coach, and the third year is the litmus test.

How did we do in the third year of the previous coach, and for three years following? Would you call that improvement?
Lmao you think there’s just an auto deadline? No, I’ll give this coach a grace period of 2 years due to the team being suited to a different line up, but since he’s sucked in year 3, and odds are he’ll suck again in year 4, that shows a lack of progression.

Lmao you think there’s just an auto deadline? No, I’ll give this coach a grace period of 2 years due to the team being suited to a different line up, but since he’s sucked in year 3, and odds are he’ll suck again in year 4, that shows a lack of progression.
You're the one that said it takes three years, and said that Collins first two years belong to the previous coach at Temple. Are you walking back on that?

Back