The Geoff Collins Effect!

You're the one that said it takes three years, and said that Collins first two years belong to the previous coach at Temple. Are you walking back on that?
I never said it takes three years... I said look at what has been screwed in 3 years. Temple and us.

It is interesting to me that we supposedly have this super recruiting coach; but we've been watching anxiously at the portal for key players the past few weeks. A few more portal players and we might have hope this season.

I never said it takes three years... I said look at what has been screwed in 3 years. Temple and us.

No, it takes 3 years

krule-john-c-reilly.gif

I get you are not a TO/flexbone guy or a CPJ fan. However the question is the same, I will try and phrase it differently: from an X’s, O’s, player development, and organizational standpoint, would Jeff Monken or Ken N have been more successful than our current hire which is 3 wins per season? With Tobias Oliver and Jordan Yates at QB GT had leadership, and Tobias ran all over VT. If Monken or Ken N we're hired and given the same support that CGC has been given, I bet they win more than 3 games a year.

While I can see people doubting that Jeff Monken, or Ken N could take GT to the success level that CPJ had on the Flats. (ACC Title, 2 OB appearance) I do find it hard to believe that they would win less or be worse than CGC. So I suppose I do see a point, if the GT FB fanbase truly thought that CPJ and his Flexbone scheme were the problem and not the reason for the success then maybe the AD was trying to give the fans what they wanted???

The interesting thing is when I attended most games as a season ticket holder from (2011-2021) most folks I talk to disagree with the hire and most people had no problem with CPJ and his scheme. (from 2011-2018 really all I heard negative was in 2015 when we had a ton of injuries that folks didn't like the OL coach) It is only on the boards where people voice having an issue with the Flexbone and CPJ and his recruiting and staff. Also most fans I speak to were upset at how disrespectful CGC is to CPJ, from alienating forming CPJ players to his first spring game Flexbone formation antics.

What I hear most fans says, is wow look how supported CGC has been by the GTAA and AD. I also heard open criticism of Geoff Collins. which brings me to my next question, I wonder why CPJ never that supported on teh FLATS after the AD D-RAD left, was the AD Bobblehead Bobinski not a FB fan, or were donors sour on CPJ. From CPJ the issue was the AD, as he was not a FB guy. So basically I still wonder what Jeff Monken or Ken N could do at Georgia Tech with that same support as CGC has received on the Flats.
Collins has been exposed. He was a bad hire. Hindsight is 20/20.

But your logic makes no sense.

There are dozens of high school football coaches that would have won more than 3 games per year. Bill Lewis would have won more than three games per year!

But winning 6-7 games every year and going to a lower tier bowl game was not the goal. If it was, we could’ve offered Chan Gailey another chance.

The goal was to reestablish a football program capable of competing for an ACC championship. High school football coaches and Bill Lewis would not have done that.

Zero chance Monken or Ken N. would have either. Period. There’s a reason Monken is still at Army.

My not being a fan of the triple option is irrelevant. The fact that good high school football players are not a fan of the triple option/flexbone is. And that fact was proven over and over, recruiting class after recruiting class.

Last edited:
Unforeseeable that Collins would be in over his head.....? That's the AD's job. Did he review the 20-25 games that Collins coached at Temple where the record started declining as soon as he took the reigns? Certainly there was nothing there to convince anyone of reasonable intelligence that Collins would mystically become a master strategist when he arrived at Tech. The AD fell for a salesman's pitch.
Who would you have hired? Jimbo Fisher? Harbaugh from Michigan? Urban Meyer? Dabo Swinney?

Who would you have hired? Jimbo Fisher? Harbaugh from Michigan? Urban Meyer? Dabo Swinney?
Do you think that TS sat down and watched film of the games that GC coached at Temple? I cannot believe that he could have done that and still made the hire. Go back and read the Temple forum (such that it is) and see that the fans there express that same concerns that many of us express here. He is a bad coach. He was supposed to be a great recruiter but to date, that has not panned out. Who would I have hired? Someone with a proven record most probably having to come from outside a P5 school. Probably could have had Napier 3-4 years ago. Would have at least tried to find a proven entity, not a man with a sales pitch.

It is interesting to me that we supposedly have this super recruiting coach; but we've been watching anxiously at the portal for key players the past few weeks. A few more portal players and we might have hope this season.
Not if they are of the quality that we have been getting through the portal. A senior that only started 3 games? After a couple of portal defections (gone before they got here) on the defensive line and we are considering someone from Southern Colorado or wherever? Add that to our Old Dominion pick up last year and we ought to be ready to roll!

Collins has been exposed. He was a bad hire. Hindsight is 20/20.

But your logic makes no sense.

There are dozens of high school football coaches that would have won more than 3 games per year. Bill Lewis would have won more than three games per year!

But winning 6-7 games every year and going to a lower tier bowl game was not the goal. If it was, we could’ve offered Chan Gailey another chance.

The goal was to reestablish a football program capable of competing for an ACC championship. High school football coaches and Bill Lewis would not have done that.

Zero chance Monken or Ken N. would have either. Period. There’s a reason Monken is still at Army.

My not being a fan of the triple option is irrelevant. The fact that good high school football players are not a fan of the triple option/flexbone is. And that fact was proven over and over, recruiting class after recruiting class.

Who are these HS coaches?

To me at least, it was unforeseeable that Collins would be so far in over his head from an X’s, O’s, player development, and organizational standpoint.
Was it unforeseeable that he would be in over his head? I agree it was.

But it was unforeseeable because his HC track record was so short. And the fact that his HC track record was so short, was completely seeable.

Stansbury rolled the dice, and it didn't pay off. What most can't understand is that like the most degenerate of gamblers, rather than acknowledging his losses and leaving the table, Stansbury has gone double-or-nothing on a bad hand.

Did he stop or was he not supported at the level Geoff Collins has been? I mean I do not see CPJ at any time on the Flats having the same amount of support that Geoff Collins got starting Day 1. It is very interesting dynamic if you ask me.
Very funny how everything that happens with GT football under Collins is his responsibility (as it should be). But Johnson's horrid recruiting is someone else's fault. LOL.

Eh, not really his team. That was Matt Rhule’s team that Collins so graciously took over.
Then Johnson doesn't get credit for the first 2 years when he was playing with NFL talent recruited by Gailey. Kinda stupid to play this game the way you're playing it.

You see what you want to see, it appears and close your eyes to all else.

Then Johnson doesn't get credit for the first 2 years when he was playing with NFL talent recruited by Gailey. Kinda stupid to play this game the way you're playing it.

You see what you want to see, it appears and close your eyes to all else.
Well let's see, when the team's record went up by 2 wins each of his first 2 seasons, you would think that would be the coaching. But at least in year 3, we made a bowl game. After Collins took over Temple, the wins couldn't even touch the two years previous. And now they don't even have a winning record. We keep Collins on this trajectory, we will be an FCS team with a 6 win record by the end of his career.

Back