The Geoff Collins Effect!

Agreed that Sewak sucked, although Brent is doing his best to make him look halfway decent by comparison. Do you have any source for this claim about being offered more support in exchange for firing assistants? Who was the other assistant they wanted fired? Is support being witheld by the AA for Geoff retaining his buddy Thacker who is at least an order of magnitude worse?
Source? Are you kidding? He has no foundation for anything he says other than a hatred for a former coach and needing someone to blame for the failures of his man crush that is now head coach.

Source? Are you kidding? He has no foundation for anything he says other than a hatred for a former coach and needing someone to blame for the failures of his man crush that is now head coach.
LOL. You're a moron. We've already established that. So how about you STFU while the adults are talking?

Yeah, I have a source for that. Paul himself. I heard him say it on the deck of a house where we were all standing outside smoking cigars at a party at a mutual friend of ours' house in Marietta one night.

Shocker of all shockers, huh? I actually know/knew (since he's now moved and I don't actually have his phone # or have him on my friend's list) Paul and liked him. One hell of a funny story teller. And to be completely candid, he didn't say it was Mike Sewak that he was told to fire; only that he was told he'd have to get rid of 2 of his assistants. But his comment was that "they are not only friends of mine but damn good coaches" made me believe it was MS who was one of them.

Also, I've read similar comments where Quinlan posted them, although I don't remember him saying it was 2 assistants. I think he was only referring to MS.

You spin a good tale.....
Aww, now someone's mad because he's jealous he didn't get to meet his hero!

I've told you many times but you are apparently too illiterate to understand it. I'm a fan of whomever is the current HC of GT football.
I really like Paul Johnson but I could see his recruiting shortcomings.
I like the job Collins is attempting to do with recruiting but until/unless that translates into wins on the field, he will be fired and rightly so.
Whoever is the head coach, I hope he continues to improve the recruiting and also improves the on-the-field play so that it yields more wins.

You, however, just want to bitch.

LOL. You're a moron. We've already established that. So how about you STFU while the adults are talking?

Yeah, I have a source for that. Paul himself. I heard him say it on the deck of a house where we were all standing outside smoking cigars at a party at a mutual friend of ours' house in Marietta one night.

Shocker of all shockers, huh? I actually know/knew (since he's now moved and I don't actually have his phone # or have him on my friend's list) Paul and liked him. One hell of a funny story teller. And to be completely candid, he didn't say it was Mike Sewak that he was told to fire; only that he was told he'd have to get rid of 2 of his assistants. But his comment was that "they are not only friends of mine but damn good coaches" made me believe it was MS who was one of them.

Also, I've read similar comments where Quinlan posted them, although I don't remember him saying it was 2 assistants. I think he was only referring to MS.
This is going to cause heads to explode on here

PJ might be the only guy who thought Sewak was a good coach....but I maintained over the years here that, while everyone bitched about Sewak, he was always and only doing exactly what his boss was telling him to do, thus him never getting fired. This gives that a bit more credibility - thanks for sharing.

This is going to cause heads to explode on here
I doubt it. Most have already made up their minds one way or the other and very few will actually listen to anything anyone else says.
If you say something negative about Johnson, you're obviously a Fan Of Geoff.
And if you say anything positive about the current coaching staff, you're likewise a Fan Of Geoff.

Kinda stupid IMO.

You know recruiting happens every year right, where you can recruit more OL? Oh wait, no you showed yesterday hou don't know that. You also forgot Parker Braun who didn't want to play for ööööty Geff and ööööty Brent.

Defense would have been in its 2nd year with Woody and would likely have improved, but even if it didn't, it would have still been better than the öööö your daddy has trotted out the last 3 years. ST? You mean the ST that includes our kicking game that went to COMPLETE öööö when Geoff took over? Yea that would have definitely have been better than what we've gotten the last 3 years.

It's laughable you even want to bring up defense and special teams when we may as well have trotted nobody out there and just handed the ball to the other team the last 3 years because they've been so bad under your daddy.

Every time Oliver stepped on the field he outplayed Marshall, everyone saw that except CPJ. Yates would have been Tevin like, you are correct there - Tevin was a good quarterback and excellent game manager, he just had a öööö defense his whole career. Graham didn't flunk out of Tech, so the fact that you are even insinuating such things shows you are just a salty POS.

I just read this dumb öööö. Who said anything about him flunking out other than you?

Interesting. He had to get rid of them or replace them? I can understand his position. If cpj is judged by the results, I can understand not wanting to be told which coaches to keep/fire. I gave sewak a lot of öööö, but it's interesting that cpj thought he was the best guy for the job. I'm not happy about that being an ultimatum though... It seems that the recruiting budget shouldn't get held hostage like that, particularly when we were already so far behind most of the conference.

To be fair, we had a few years with decent lines. 14&16 in particular.

Interesting. He had to get rid of them or replace them? I can understand his position. If cpj is judged by the results, I can understand not wanting to be told which coaches to keep/fire. I gave sewak a lot of öööö, but it's interesting that cpj thought he was the best guy for the job. I'm not happy about that being an ultimatum though... It seems that the recruiting budget shouldn't get held hostage like that, particularly when we were already so far behind most of the conference.

To be fair, we had a few years with decent lines. 14&16 in particular.
Well, his comments were in response to a question where one of the guys asked him what could "we" do to help him out and was there anything holding him back? And then someone else chimed in, asking about why the administration wasn't giving him more money and staff for recruiting because the dwags were loading up over in Athens with other coaches as "off the field" coaches and in recruiting, etc. He then made the comment about he could have more money if he would only fire a couple of coaches, yada yada.

Paul was too intelligent to comment negatively on his bosses but I can tell you from the damn near audible roll of his eyes at times, that he was not a fan at all of Bobinski. He never intimated one way or the other on TS while I was around so I don't know what his opinion was there. I can also add that the man liked his drink he was drinking, and I'm fairly certain it was single malt scotch.

Well, his comments were in response to a question where one of the guys asked him what could "we" do to help him out and was there anything holding him back? And then someone else chimed in, asking about why the administration wasn't giving him more money and staff for recruiting because the dwags were loading up over in Athens with other coaches as "off the field" coaches and in recruiting, etc. He then made the comment about he could have more money if he would only fire a couple of coaches, yada yada.

Paul was too intelligent to comment negatively on his bosses but I can tell you from the damn near audible roll of his eyes at times, that he was not a fan at all of Bobinski. He never intimated one way or the other on TS while I was around so I don't know what his opinion was there. I can also add that the man liked his drink he was drinking, and I'm fairly certain it was single malt scotch.

Mbob was terribad so I'm not sure I can criticize cpj for ignoring that request. Interesting that he was throwing football under the bus when he knew a problem existed.

To be fair to Paul, if the budget wasn't there, he may not have gotten a better assistant.

Hard to believe the ticket sales fell off so much from 2018 to 2019. I felt like the fanbase was somewhat energized by the coaching change, but maybe that declined late in the year. The year to year fluctuation in schedule quality also has to be factored in.

2020 was the reduced capacity Covid year, so I don’t really understand the numbers…

JRjr

CPJ went 12-12 his last two years. We weren't exactly riding high.

I doubt it. Most have already made up their minds one way or the other and very few will actually listen to anything anyone else says.
If you say something negative about Johnson, you're obviously a Fan Of Geoff.
And if you say anything positive about the current coaching staff, you're likewise a Fan Of Geoff.

Kinda stupid IMO.
Kind of like criticizing CGC means that you want CPJ and the TO back. CPJ is gone, no need to rehash the SOS.

has the thread become like this?
1653412958273.gif

or more like this?
1653413020439.gif

Paul was too intelligent to comment negatively on his bosses but I can tell you from the damn near audible roll of his eyes at times, that he was not a fan at all of Bobinski.
CPJ had no problem talking about MBob in his farewell press conference. He said he would have left earlier if we hadn't fired him and hired Todd.

He never intimated one way or the other on TS while I was around so I don't know what his opinion was there.
The outward facing working relationship between CPJ and Todd was very good, but a lot of that was because the changes that needed to be made in support of the football program were met, which was the right thing to do. Behind closed doors, Todd felt like he wasn't getting the respect he deserved from CPJ as AD (which in some aspects was very true). That made Todd amenable to cutting ties, but he had to do it in a way that didn't look like he was firing a quality coach that had a solid record and strong support from his team (and many fans). Props to both of them for handling it so well. It is sad to see how it has been twisted into CPJ quitting, or Todd showing him the door. It was mutual for the expected continuity of the program. It's probably the high water mark of his AD career at Tech so far.

CPJ had no problem talking about MBob in his farewell press conference. He said he would have left earlier if we hadn't fired him and hired Todd.

The outward facing working relationship between CPJ and Todd was very good, but a lot of that was because the changes that needed to be made in support of the football program were met, which was the right thing to do. Behind closed doors, Todd felt like he wasn't getting the respect he deserved from CPJ as AD (which in some aspects was very true). That made Todd amenable to cutting ties, but he had to do it in a way that didn't look like he was firing a quality coach that had a solid record and strong support from his team (and many fans). Props to both of them for handling it so well. It is sad to see how it has been twisted into CPJ quitting, or Todd showing him the door. It was mutual for the expected continuity of the program. It's probably the high water mark of his AD career at Tech so far.
And the low water mark is the replacement that he hired for CPJ.

Agreed that Sewak sucked, although Brent is doing his best to make him look halfway decent by comparison. Do you have any source for this claim about being offered more support in exchange for firing assistants? Who was the other assistant they wanted fired? Is support being witheld by the AA for Geoff retaining his buddy Thacker who is at least an order of magnitude worse?
IMO, Brent Key has been the most disappointing coach this far, with all the transfer portal OL, he didn't even have to Coach CPJ OL recruits very long and we still suck worse than any time during the CPJ era.

My conclusion is that it was more The OC scheme then Coach Key (at least I am hopeful) this year with Coach Chip Longs quick passing game I am hoping our Online is respectable. If it is we have a chance, if our OL is trash for the fourth straight year under Key...we going to have a hard time getting to 3 wins.

Yeah, Key has shown himself to be just a yes man collecting a pay check. He has done all the right things to be a full fledged member of the coaching fraternity who will always get recycled. Just like the dude Collins recently hired as an analyst. The fact Key has allowed this to happen to his alma mater without blowing a gasket or resigning over his bosses ineptitude tells me he doesn’t really care. That none of the alum on the staff last year led a coup tells me we are mailing it in.

Back