This weekends recruits

swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
no no no no no NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

He is going to be our next all american safety
Yes. He is.
Let's enjoy the magic of Juanyeh while we can. He might very well have the kind of talent that leaves early for the NFL. And the current coaching staff, the one on the job until 12/27, is aware of that, from what I gather.

swampsting

So CGC specifically mentions “Roster Management” twice mentions Sabans name 3 times and then explains the “sheet” he took from Alabama that Saban uses and designed and this is the conclusion you came to?
Saban isn't the only one. If you listened to PJ at all the last few recruiting cycles, he talked about roster balance - having balance between the number of people per class and per position group and the target they have of how many they want per position group.
Collins isn't unveiling anything that hasn't been going on already at Tech. It's just going to be different positions and different numbers.

swampsting

Seems every year we are short on the back end. We sign 20 and then 5 leave for whatever reason.
PJ always has quietly kept a couple of schollies in his back pocket for any transfers that might come in and to reward walk-ons. Robbie Godhigh comes to mind right away.
He's not the only one that does that.

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden
Yes. He is.
Let's enjoy the magic of Juanyeh while we can. He might very well have the kind of talent that leaves early for the NFL. And the current coaching staff, the one on the job until 12/27, is aware of that, from what I gather.
Juanyeh has some serious potential, but I can't help but think that he's a Tarrant clone in skill set.

swampsting

Juanyeh has some serious potential, but I can't help but think that he's a Tarrant clone in skill set.
i hope that analogy doesn't come true.
but, from what I got told by folks who have coaching staff connections, the kid wasn't named but they said they have a freshman safety they think could eventually be good enough to leave early. I think that points to Juanyeh. We did a good job stealing him away and keeping him away from the factories.

BuckNasty

Damn Good Rat
Methinks this change will be very much like the change from Dodd to Bud Carson in '67. Sort of like going from Santa to Satan...same letters but different approach. Ask any of the players from that era what practices were like and how the "culture" changed.
I'm guessing you are in the sunset of your life. Why so negative?

johncu

Dodd-Like
OK, I'm very confused.

I think we need a very public poll. To hit 85 and never run a kid off you can only thake 17 a year. The factories are taking 30.

If we dont play the 30 game, we are unquestionably going to have a lower talent level than the other teams.

Teams that are "better than that" are all 7-5. Maybe 9-3. Teams that competing in the playoffs are at minimum taking 25 every year.

Kids that commit to Alabama know if they dont make it they have to transfer out. Its not a ööööing secret. Kids know we will pay for your school even if they decide to half ass it. You would think the factories treating them like trash would hurt their recruiting and help us. It obviously does not.

We either want to be UVAish and play super nice with 9-3 ceilings or we want to compete with the local factories. What do you want?

Don't handicap Collins. If he is honest with them and says we are bringing in 25 and plan to compete like the factories the kids shouldnt be surprised that if they dont work 110% and help the team they will be asked to make room for some kid that wants to.
Clemson does not oversign. They have not, and will not yank a kid's scholarship offer before signing day SEC-style. I'd say they're doing okay.

stingmeyall

Flats Noob
It’s all about integrity. I think Collins has that. I think he will do well. I’m behind his hire 100% and I think we should all get behind him with our support! THWG!

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
i hope that analogy doesn't come true.
but, from what I got told by folks who have coaching staff connections, the kid wasn't named but they said they have a freshman safety they think could eventually be good enough to leave early. I think that points to Juanyeh. We did a good job stealing him away and keeping him away from the factories.
Tarrant had the off field problem that thankfully got resolved, but it had to be a distraction

originalwombat

Damn Good Rat
Thomas is bigger and faster than Tarrant. Both are return men (Tarrant only did PR’s, iirc). Otherwise, I don’t get the comparison.

Last edited:

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Difference between ACC and SECheat.
If GT starts behaving that way, we will burn the little goodwill we have with any HS coaches in the southeast. We aren't the crushing force of Alabama with $100 million at our disposal to build and rebuild campus palaces every season

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden
Thomas is bigger and faster than Tarrant. Both are return men (Tarrant only did PR’s, iirc). Otherwise, I don’t get the comparison.
He’s an inch or two taller, but I wouldn’t say faster. Compare the running styles between the Clemson PR and UGA kick return. Neither has the quickest feet and both are more striders in that regard which is atypical of successful returners. That being said, they’re both safeties with NFL size, range, and are absolute playmakers who are better with the ball in their hand. They both lack agility to play man coverage against wide receivers (could get away with it against tight ends). I’ll spare comments on eye discipline because one is a true freshman, but it’s similar. Tarrant was probably more adept at run support than Thomas has shown to this point, but he’s got time and Tarrant probably got sucked in on play action too much so it might be a good difference in the long run.

Maybe a reminder is needed of how good a player tarrant was for us. I hope Juanyeh is that successful and is able to make a bigger splash at the next level.

ScionOfSouthland

Dodd-Like
Saban has a system for everything and a big one is the roster. He has the desired height, weight, and skills (ex 40 time, arm length, etc) for each position as well as the depth he is looking for. I’ve seen it digitized on the web somewhere, at least the height and weight.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
Dunno if this has been posted. Coit, sue me.

Big kid. Could easily become a LOT.

I like the pro-Tech chorus on the twitter replies. Looks like CGC knows his craft.

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
You really need to pay attention to CGC’s comments in the Press Conference about “Roster Management”. That is a Saban term and it is how you build a program. We have a coach now who understands big time college football. There is going to be a lot of attrition the first two years. If you don’t like that then go be a fan of Georgia State or Kenneaw or something like that. Things are going to change.
How much attrition did Temple have? I’m sure we will have some because it always happens with a coaching change but I doubt it will be significant.