Time for change

If CPJ would just sit back and be a Head Coach and hire an OC that can use the talent we have in an offense that uses a read option along with passing the ball in a 3-4 receiver set it would open up the offense in many ways. When a defense knows the option is coming, it is easy for them to play more disciplined. You can run the option in a one back set just as easily and the defense is not sue what is coming at them.

HAHAHAHA as if that would happen. That man's ego is bigger than that 400 lb runningback. His ego is only to be outdone by his gotdamn turkey gobbler hanging from his neck. In fact, that's probably where his ego resides...

How is switching to a read option play with 4 WR's going to make things easier? Gonna magically make the WR better catchers and cause our linemen to suddenly block better just cause we're in the everyone else is doing it crowd?

This entire conversation is pointless and stupid. Why have the entire offensive staff at all if we don't want them to do what we hired them to do? Either give the AA the money to fire Johnson now or sit down and shut up and let the staff use the offensive system We hired them to use.

Thanks for putting this history together. I think we should be looking for something better if it comes along, but I fully expect CPJ will get one more year. But 2 more losses to UGAy I cannot abide.

Why not? If the first 4 were abideable then what magically changes with next 2? More importantly if we didn't win the first 4 what magically changes that means we should expect to win one of the next 2?
The Georgia game is one we should never Expect to win, not with the way things are or have been (I'm talking program strengths, not just coaches). Firing coaches over a game that has clearly not been in our favor for decades is a foolish path

It's funny how the spiders come out after a loss. A bunch of posters I've never seen on here before feeling obligated to share their butthurt. You never see them after a win.

It's funny how the spiders come out after a loss. A bunch of posters I've never seen on here before feeling obligated to share their butthurt. You never see them after a win.

That has gotta be some offensive butthurt for these posters to randomly dig up their old password and account info and sign in to express their big cry feelings! :hsughcry:

Why not? If the first 4 were abideable then what magically changes with next 2? More importantly if we didn't win the first 4 what magically changes that means we should expect to win one of the next 2?
The Georgia game is one we should never Expect to win, not with the way things are or have been (I'm talking program strengths, not just coaches). Firing coaches over a game that has clearly not been in our favor for decades is a foolish path

Yuuuuup.

http://www.mcubed.net/ncaaf/series/gatech/ga.shtml

I've been saying this for over a year now and I guess no one is listening. The UGA series hasn't been competitive since the 1960s.

We are 12-34 against UGA since Dodd stopped coaching. For perspective, that is roughly the inverse of the winning percentage in our all-time series against Wake Forest.

Jacketforlife you are right his ego is getting in the way. I love Ga Tech football. Don't be scared to be bold and make a change. So what if we start over. Do we really need to see 1, 2, 3, or more years of this predictable offense. Run left, run right, run up the middle, 3 and out.

How is switching to a read option play with 4 WR's going to make things easier? Gonna magically make the WR better catchers and cause our linemen to suddenly block better just cause we're in the everyone else is doing it crowd?

This entire conversation is pointless and stupid. Why have the entire offensive staff at all if we don't want them to do what we hired them to do? Either give the AA the money to fire Johnson now or sit down and shut up and let the staff use the offensive system We hired them to use.

What I was saying with a read option you can have 2 backs , 1 back or several formations and still run the option that PJ loves to do. It just gives the offense more options, pun intended, and keeps the other team guessing. Also, I never said a coach should be fired/

Well, based on that post count, your opinion should come highly valued. I hear Muschamp should be available.

LOL at the idea that post count on Stingtalk correlates to football knowledge. It may be inversely.

CPJ is not going anywhere after this season. We cannot afford to replace him.

I wish Vad was in a real offense

I'm not sure he'd be at QB if he was, but he has potential to be very good in this offense.

Unless of course, you think Auburn's offense is "real" and ours isn't.

Yuuuuup.

http://www.mcubed.net/ncaaf/series/gatech/ga.shtml

I've been saying this for over a year now and I guess no one is listening. The UGA series hasn't been competitive since the 1960s.

We are 12-34 against UGA since Dodd stopped coaching. For perspective, that is roughly the inverse of the winning percentage in our all-time series against Wake Forest.

After Dodd through O'Leary we were winning about 1/3 of the time.

After O'Leary we are winning 1/11 of the time.

Taking one out of three is competitive, IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

What I was saying with a read option you can have 2 backs , 1 back or several formations and still run the option that PJ loves to do. It just gives the offense more options, pun intended, and keeps the other team guessing. Also, I never said a coach should be fired/

What I meant more about the fire thing isn't that you said to do it, but that if one desires to see the offense changed so much then that is the more logical. The thing is, the more we have things that are new (for any coach, not just Johnson) the less the coach will know about how defenses will stop it and such. Guess what I mean is any changes should happen slowly over time.

We are 12-34 against UGA since Dodd stopped coaching.

Since 1966, our record against UGa teams that finished the season over 500 is 6 - 40 ('84, '85, '98, '99, '00 & '08).

Fing abysmal.

Would it hurt to be a little bold. Most defensive coaches look at our schemes and say that is not hard to figure out.

Would it hurt to be a little bold. Most defensive coaches look at our schemes and say that is not hard to figure out.

“It’s very hard to get 11 guys on defense to play with great discipline every snap,” defensive coordinator Brent Venables said this week.

http://www.thestate.com/2013/11/14/3097026/clemson-defense-must-be-disciplined.html

Pitt defensive coordinator Matt House knows Georgia Tech loves to beat opponents with the running game.
But House and his defense must keep their eyes open Saturday night for Georgia Tech's passing game.
Pitt's ability to stop Georgia Tech's sporadic passing attack could decide Saturday's 7 p.m. ACC matchup in Atlanta.

“When they do throw the ball, they are messing with your eyes and they are going for the home run,'' House said. “It may not be like a conventional offense where they are throwing it 25 times a game, but when they do throw the ball, a lot of the times, they are pushing it vertically down the field.”

http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/4962431-74/tech-georgia-pitt#axzz2l1EwwpYP

On the coaching circuit, Virginia Tech defensive coordinator Bud Foster and Georgia Tech head coach Paul Johnson rarely cross paths, if ever.
But Foster makes sure to chat with the option guru every year before the Hokies’ game against the Yellow Jackets.
“I let him know how much of a pain in the tail he is for all of us to prepare for,” Foster said. “I think he likes that.”
“Us” would be defensive coordinators across the ACC, or at least the Coastal Division, which has to deal with Johnson and Georgia Tech’s unique option offense every season.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/virgi...inia-tech-matches-wits-with-georgia-tech.html

Dresscheesesideseaboard, I understand what you are trying to say but if we run the same offense we normally run and do it against Pitt we will lose by at least two touchdowns. I only wish when when we do pass it would be more successful. The fact is when we start passing usually it is because we have fallen behind because our unique option is not working and that happens more than not.

Dresscheesesideseaboard, I understand what you are trying to say but if we run the same offense we normally run and do it against Pitt we will lose by at least two touchdowns. I only wish when when we do pass it would be more successful. The fact is when we start passing usually it is because we have fallen behind because our unique option is not working and that happens more than not.

No, it usually happens only a couple times a year, and with the exception of BYU the only times it happens are when we play teams who play us yearly so they've dedicated time over the summer specifically scheming against us.

So far this year, it's happened vs VT, BYU, and half of Clemson. VT has an entire separate defense they run against us, that they practice all year round and only bust out when they play GT. Bronco Mendenhall is a defensive genius who's been coaching against the option for half a century. I don't really know what happened the first half of Clemson, but I presume it had something to do with the fact that they're loaded with future NFL players in their senior year who've each now played GT 5 times.

Teams are spending twice as much time scheming against us as against every other team they face. That's routine among our opponents, if you read the articles in their newspapers going into the game.

I honestly think the biggest drawback with having CPJ as a coach, is that when we beat someone the media automatically assumes we outcoached them instead of outplayed them. So that's extra incentive for the opposing coach to push his players harder vs us, because the coach doesn't want everyone to think he got outcoached. If FSU scores 50 on you, no big deal, you just got outplayed. If GT scores 50 on you, then you must be a dumbass. (according to the media) Therefore, coaches push their players harder on GT week.

That's also why teams lose more games than they ordinarily would the week following the GT game. Their players were all pushed especially hard the prior week, and either they're tired, or the take it easier, the following week.

I don't really know what happened the first half of Clemson, but I presume it had something to do with the fact that they're loaded with future NFL players in their senior year who've each now played GT 5 times.
We're not very good at running the mid-line option this year?

But what's going to happen is this. We are going to continue to only do good but not great at One Handed Boxing, and then we'll fire our current coach and find a new one on the order of Rick Neuheisel, and suddenly everyone around here will discover just how hamstrung we actually are.

Maybe but not necessarily.

Yes, the majority probably would have jumped at the thought of getting Muschamp before we hired CPJ. Yes, that hire would have been a disaster judging by what he has done with superior talent at Florida.

But we could also get someone like Cutcliffe. Or some young coach that is not on anyone's radar could come in for that matter.

Yes, it could get worse, but it could also get better. And if it gets worse, then you just try again.

Here is the question we need to ask after the season, every season: Would any other school pay what we are paying for our coach? If the answer is yes, let's think about when we need to give a raise to keep him. If the answer is no, then take a gamble on a hungry younger coach for less and give them some set amount of time to prove what they can do.

I do not share the opinion that CPJ is doing the best any coach could ever hope to do at GT. History, rationalizations on why those were exceptions aside, does not support that opinion.

Maybe he is close. If Vad had even come close to what the media expected pre-season then he probably would be there now. If the light comes on with UGA then CPJ and Vad will be everyone's hero and optimism may reign.

Maybe we need a technical genius at OC or DC less than we need a true leader who can hire the technical expertise he needs?

Back