To HELL with the dwags: Post-game Ramblings.

Some more thoughts today:
1) UGA's team speed on defense limited our big plays and kept us out of the end zone and points off the board. There always seemed to be SOME stoppage when we were driving that would give their coaches time to adjust. Our offense is very reliant on tempo and we don't seem to be able to sustain drives without that aspect. Room for improvement for next year.
2) I was just mulling over what our defense would look like with Jared Ivey, Akelo Stone, Jordan Domineck, Chico Bennett, Zamari Walton. Our offense is built on transfer success. Gotta win in the transfer portal to build the program going forward.

Had several random people see my Tech gear today and say things like “yall almost had them” or “yall played a good game” etc. We made a statement last night, even in a losing effort.

there are usual suspects I don’t hear from most of the year who are quick to chime in with some condescending Tech put downs after our loss to uga. Haven’t heard from a single person. And it ain’t because they’re above talking öööö to Tech fans. When we go on our run of several in a row, I am going lower.

They wouldn't have had the ball. The dynamics of the game would have changed. We would have been taking a knee.

Of course the whole dynamics of the game would have changed. That's why the woulda/coulda/shoulda posts are silly.

Some more thoughts today:
1) UGA's team speed on defense limited our big plays and kept us out of the end zone and points off the board. There always seemed to be SOME stoppage when we were driving that would give their coaches time to adjust. Our offense is very reliant on tempo and we don't seem to be able to sustain drives without that aspect. Room for improvement for next year.
2) I was just mulling over what our defense would look like with Jared Ivey, Akelo Stone, Jordan Domineck, Chico Bennett, Zamari Walton. Our offense is built on transfer success. Gotta win in the transfer portal to build the program going forward.
Something needs to change with fake defense injuries to slow a tempo offense. Maybe the player is ineligible (since he’s injured and all) for the rest of that series or injuries that stop play burn a timeout. Something.

I have always held out hope. We have a metro area of 6 million or so, iirc. We need 45k or so with students adding 5-6k more and let opposing fans have about 3-5k
I do recall in 2009 that Bobby Dodd stadium did seem more like 75-80% full of GT fans for the Uga game. I think sustained success and some wins over UGA can potentially get things looking like that again. Too bad the Clown set the program back like he did.

We wouldn’t have given them the field position they had after the onside kick.

So after successfully converting on 4th down three separate times and scoring TDs each time, would we have chewed up so much time we wouldn't have had time left to score the winning TD? Oh, wait - we probably wouldn't have left UGAg enough time in the first half to score a TD near the end of the half if we hadn't kicked those FGs. So we wouldn't have needed a final TD. But then maybe UGA has the ball last and scores a TD as time runs out, because they were already down by 4.

Mental masturbation, all of it.

Which of our players was injured and down on the ground for so long? I didn't really see who it was. He OK?

They brought their pep band. Really couldn't hear them from row 1, sec 213 UN
I know people have complained about the in game music, but the DJ did a good job of playing over the redcoat band and stopping them from firing up their fans. Also good to see them make sure the gaggers couldn't do their theatrics during the 3rd/4th quarter break.

Does anyone have insight on how visiting bands are seated (allocated by away team vs. assigned by Tech)? Agree with the comment earlier that the pep band was mitigated - kudos if that is something Tech had a hand in.

Which of our players was injured and down on the ground for so long? I didn't really see who it was. He OK?
Clayton Powell-Lee, not sure what happened but he did eventually limp off with help

In general, I think few visiting teams take their full band to games. First reason is they would rather sell more tickets to paying fans/donors. There is expense involved with bringing the band. Plus, most teams have their own half time shows and don’t want to share with the visitor.

Most teams just take a smaller, pep band. In that case, the band doesn’t take the field because the show does not work without the entire band; so the band can be put further away from the field.

GT took their full band to UGA last season and Clemson this season. In both cases, they had good seats: lower bowl; corner at UGA; end zone at Clemson. In both cases, the bands performed a joint show and both were veteran appreciation type shows.

For other games, just a pep band. UVA they were in the upper deck, Ole Miss top of the lower bowl near goal line.

UGA chose to not bring their entire band to BDS. I’m assuming it was their decision where to sit but don’t know for sure.

Game is getting prime time Sunday night replay(s).

Stadium and atmosphere look great - so did our 4th quarter drive to get it to one score.

/

Back