"Unprecedented" penalties TBA for PSU

"How fitting. There's still a 900-pound gorilla in the room called the NCAA: toothless enforcement, pick and choose sanctions, different rules for different fools.

And zero credibility."

:biggthumpup:

In the early 60s Penn State didn't play anybody and would have a good record and then whine incessantly about not being respected in the polls. They hit the top in the early 80s, one of those years they defeated UGay to take a national title from them.

They were doing the same thing in the early 80's. Until they joined the Big Ten, they played weak schedules. They haven't won a national title since then. They also beat ThugU for another title.

In the last 20 years, PSU has zero national championships, one outright conference title and two shared ones. If you extend it another 10 years, PSU picks up two national championships.

In that same time, USC has two national championships, four outright conference championships and five shared conference championships. Moving to thirty years, USC adds three outright conference titles and one shared.

If you'd like to go back even farther, USC tips the scales a good deal.

For instance, PSU's accomplishments above (all during my lifetime - I'm 24) are all they have until you go back to 1912. I suppose that if you are 100 years old, then yes, you do have a perspective advantage over this young chap. That makes a pretty good example of how age (which cyp does not have much over me, though I do not know about corndog) has little to do with it.

USC has not gone a decade without multiple championships, FWIW.
You implied Penn State wouldn't be able to handle a 2 year bowl ban like USC did, because Penn State is no USC. It's not about how many championships USC won thanks to being in a weak conference compared to being in the same conference as Ohio State and Michigan.

They were doing the same thing in the early 80's. Until they joined the Big Ten, they played weak schedules. They haven't won a national title since then. They also beat ThugU for another title.

that year they beat uga (1982), Penn State also beat Alabama, Nebraska and Notre Dame. Not quite the easy schedule you guys make it out to be.

Penn State played Nebraska, Ohio State, Alabama, Notre Dame and Ohio State in addition to other decent teams regularly those years. Not all of them in the same year, but still those teams anchored many years of Penn State schedules.

You implied Penn State wouldn't be able to handle a 2 year bowl ban like USC did, because Penn State is no USC. It's not about how many championships USC won thanks to being in a weak conference compared to being in the same conference as Ohio State and Michigan.

I'm not the one that brought up the conversation of historical records.

Regarding OSU and Michigan, USC has done quite well against them.

It wasn't that long ago that the PAC 10 was fairly strong. Those things are cyclical. It wasn't that long ago, last year, that Ohio State and Michigan were nothing special. Oregon and Stanford are pretty good teams and last year, they were better than almost all of the Big Ten.

I'm not the one that brought up the conversation of historical records.

I guess that was me. I was trying to infer what your vague statement meant. Regardless of the stats you cherry picked, any rational person can look that the historical records of the two schools and realize that they aren't far apart. I wouldn't be surprised if both are top 10 all time programs. Heck, Penn State probably was more dominant in the 80s and 90s than USC.

Oh look, here is an objective analysis that proves that.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1097657.html

Since you aren't basing your statement that Penn State is no USC on historical performance, and it obviously can't be revenue, what is your statement based on?

I guess that was me. I was trying to infer what your vague statement meant. Regardless of the stats you cherry picked, any rational person can look that the historical records of the two schools and realize that they aren't far apart. I wouldn't be surprised if both are top 10 all time programs. Heck, Penn State probably was more dominant in the 80s and 90s than USC.

Oh look, here is an objective analysis that proves that.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1097657.html

Since you aren't basing your statement that Penn State is no USC on historical performance, and it obviously can't be revenue, what is your statement based on?

People aren't tripping over their dicks to play for PSU like they are USC. USC has finished outside of the top ten in recruiting TWICE since 2002. Both of those were top 20 finishes.

Penn State, on the other hand, has been out of the top 25 multiple times, with only a few top 10 recruiting classes.

Given the same set of sanctions (and assuming that both programs committed the same violations), USC would rebound much quicker.

People aren't tripping over their dicks to play for PSU like they are USC. USC has finished outside of the top ten in recruiting TWICE since 2002. Both of those were top 20 finishes.

Penn State, on the other hand, has been out of the top 25 multiple times, with only a few top 10 recruiting classes.

Given the same set of sanctions (and assuming that both programs committed the same violations), USC would rebound much quicker.

Penn State is no USC due to the dick-tripping recruiting rankings. Gotcha.

that year they beat uga (1982), Penn State also beat Alabama, Nebraska and Notre Dame. Not quite the easy schedule you guys make it out to be.

Penn State played Nebraska, Ohio State, Alabama, Notre Dame and Ohio State in addition to other decent teams regularly those years. Not all of them in the same year, but still those teams anchored many years of Penn State schedules.

A 6-4-1 Notre Dame and a 7-4 Alabama (who they lost to). Nebraska was good that year though. But that was the complaint, one which Georgia Tech had a problem with also when not in a conference. In a conference, teams rise and fall. As an independent, PSU played 6 or 7 safe games and on years that the few power teams they played were off, it really became a one or two game season.

It sounds like Penn State wouldn't be affected as much even in recruiting since their program&revenue has been fine without top 10 talent anyway.

A 6-4-1 Notre Dame and a 7-4 Alabama (who they lost to). Nebraska was good that year though. But that was the complaint, one which Georgia Tech had a problem with also when not in a conference. In a conference, teams rise and fall. As an independent, PSU played 6 or 7 safe games and on years that the few power teams they played were off, it really became a one or two game season.
regardless, their schedules were never that easy with such quality teams on schedule. According to objective Massey Ratings (computer), Penn State schedules:

1980: #2nd toughest
1981: #1st toughest
1982: #2nd toughest
1983: #10th toughest
1984: #6th toughest

http://masseyratings.com/archive.php?s=CF&sub=11604

Looks pretty reasonable to me. No different than the top teams today really.

From 1976-1993 as an Independent they played:

1976: Played the #1, #2, #15 ranked teams

1977: Played the #10, #15 ranked teams

1978: Played the #2, #5, #6, #15 ranked teams

1979: Played the #6, #11, #15 ranked teams

1980: Played the #3, #4, #9, #10 ranked teams

1981: Played the #1, #6, #8, #15 ranked teams

1982: Played the #1, #2, #4, #5, #13(twice) ranked teams

1983: Played the #1, #3, #4, #13, #17, and #19 ranked teams

1984: Played the #2, #5, #9, #18 ranked teams

1985: Played the #3, #7, #10 ranked teams

1986: Played the #1, #2 ranked teams