USA today's Myerberg's CFB ranks kicks off with #125:GSU

Quite a few BCS teams have been left out like the aforementioned Louisiana Tech. With the additions of Pitt and Syracuse, without more automatic tie-ins, it's a lot more likely going forward that Duke is spurned for a team with a larger fan base.

Whan I say BCS I mean from a BCS automatic qualifying conference. Louisiana does not qualify and I don't think any have been left out with 6+ wins.

Also, we do have more bowl tie-ins than before the additions.

Whan I say BCS I mean from a BCS automatic qualifying conference. Louisiana does not qualify and I don't think any have been left out with 6+ wins.

Also, we do have more bowl tie-ins than before the additions.

We do? We have some contingent arrangement for a 9th team with the old Emerald Bowl, much like we had a contingent one with them and the Humanitarian before. The number of sure bids remains at 8.

This will likely be the last year the ACC’s bowl lineup looks like this as all of their contracts are up following the 2013 season. It’s already being reported that the ACC could land contracts with the Pinstripe Bowl and Gator Bowl beginning in 2014.

full description of all 2013 bowl tie-ins: http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/06/acc-announces-2013-bowl-tie-ins/

The American Athletic Conference and ACC have agreed to a six-year deal with the Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman beginning in 2014, sources said.

The bowl will be played at the Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis, Md. The first five Military Bowls were played at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C., until the game was moved to Navy's home stadium in 2013.

The bowl will remain at Navy under the new contract, sources said. Navy will join the American Athletic Conference as a football-only member in 2015.

The ACC has formally announced bowl tie-ins starting in 2014 with the Orange and Pinstripe. Besides the Russell Athletic and Belk bowls, sources told ESPN the ACC also will be affiliated with the Capital One (when a Big Ten team plays in the Orange Bowl), Sun, Gator/Music City and a new Detroit bowl.
http://espn.go.com/college-football...tic-conference-acc-play-military-bowl-sources

We've had this discussion. We pick up the Pinstripe and Gator while we lose Chik and Sun. There are some other changes for 2014, but it really isn't an improvement and so far, the volume hasn't gone up. We're just as likely to lose the Independence or Military as to add another minor one.

Aaaaand what do the polls mean?

Nothing, unless you're 1 or 2.

they mean a lot of money if it can get you to the BCS

BCS selection procedures

3. The champion of Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, or the Western Athletic Conference will earn an automatic berth in a BCS bowl game if either:

A. Such team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS Standings, or,
B. Such team is ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS Standings and its ranking in the final BCS Standings is higher than that of a champion of a conference that has an annual automatic berth in one of the BCS bowls.

4. Notre Dame will have an automatic berth if it is in the top eight of the final BCS Standings.

5. If any of the 10 slots remain open after application of provisions 1 through 4, and an at-large team from a conference with an annual automatic berth for its champion is ranked No. 3 in the final BCS Standings, that team will become an automatic qualifier, provided that no at-large team from the same conference qualifies for the national championship game.

We've had this discussion. We pick up the Pinstripe and Gator while we lose Chik and Sun. There are some other changes for 2014, but it really isn't an improvement and so far, the volume hasn't gone up. We're just as likely to lose the Independence or Military as to add another minor one.

We don't lose the Sun and the ACC will have a tie-in with a new bowl out of Detroit that has not yet been named. We also get the Capitol One when a big 10 team plays in the Orange bowl. Sounds like more volume to me.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...tic-conference-acc-play-military-bowl-sources

Probably a Pac 12 team. Or Navy. Not many other teams play more than one december game a year.

It is Navy.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...lege-football-countdown-2013-preview/2496967/

UP NEXT

— Who is No. 59? One of this team's punters has the same last name as a former chemistry professor at a university in the same state.

punters and chemistry professors, wtf

Anyway, among the ACC teams that haven't appeared, I expect something approximately like this:

#8 Clemson
#17 Florida State
#29 Miami
#31 Virginia Tech
#34 Georgia Tech
#38 North Carolina
#53 NC State

It is Navy.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...lege-football-countdown-2013-preview/2496967/

UP NEXT

— Who is No. 59? One of this team's punters has the same last name as a former chemistry professor at a university in the same state.

punters and chemistry professors, wtf

Anyway, among the ACC teams that haven't appeared, I expect something approximately like this:

#8 Clemson
#17 Florida State
#29 Miami
#31 Virginia Tech
#34 Georgia Tech
#38 North Carolina
#53 NC State

UNC will most likely be above Tech. Swap those two and it's about right.

UNC will most likely be above Tech. Swap those two and it's about right.

I agree that UNC will likely be higher than GT, also think that we could be listed in the 40-50 range, I hope not but would not be surprised about that at all.

We don't lose the Sun and the ACC will have a tie-in with a new bowl out of Detroit that has not yet been named. We also get the Capitol One when a big 10 team plays in the Orange bowl. Sounds like more volume to me.

You are correct about the Sun, but the Capital One AND Gator Bowl are both contingency deals where we could be screwed. So we have guaranteed in 2014, Orange, Sun, Music City, Russell Athletic, Pinstripe, Independence, Belk, and Military as well as a prospective Detroit Bowl. We are essentially adding 3 teams (Notre Dame is in the mix too) with one added bowl. I wouldn't consider that much of a volume increase and I certainly wouldn't consider it a quality increase by any stretch of the imagination. We have one top level game and no guarantee at a second New Year's Eve/Day game. The bottom 5 are Emerald Nuts/Humanitarian equivalents in slightly better locations. Even our mid-tier of Sun, Music City, and Russell is pretty weak.

Who is No. 58? This team has a combined career record of 22-23-3 against the 12 teams on its 2013 schedule.

Still not us.

#57 West Virginia
#58: Missouri

Ouch, hard fall for those two teams in their new leagues

And Auburn says hello at #56. :rotfl:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...lege-football-countdown-2013-preview/2506257/

From the intro:
They can never take a national championship away from you once you've won it. But let's say you're offered a trade in advance: Your team can win the national title at a given point in the next five years, but in return, your team will subsequently suffer through the worst season in program history, fire the title-winning coach, hire his former assistant and start nearly from scratch, as if the program wasn't merely years removed from a championship.
How about it? As with anything else, the answer to the question is relative. New Mexico State takes that trade, obviously. Kansas State does the same, if only to give Bill Snyder one final achievement for his résumé. In the SEC, I'd imagine that Mississippi State, Mississippi, Missouri, Vanderbilt, South Carolina – every team without a recent title to its name would make that trade.
But what about Auburn? Three years ago, the Cam Newton-led Tigers swept the SEC and the FBS, taking out Alabama, Oregon and others for the program's first national championship since 1957 and second overall. Two years later, the Tigers went 3-9 overall, 0-8 in the SEC, and lost six games by 17 or more points. Congratulations on the title; sorry about the mess. Oh, and Auburn makes this trade every day of the week, by the way.
It will always be a burr under my saddle how programs like ours get slammed for minutiae and NCAA ignores things like Auburn and Cam Newton. :furious:

Back