Wes Durham is Leaving Tech Radio

This is like...a bummer, man.

Best wishes, Wes. You will be missed.

terrible news. It may even affect recruiting. It's that bad.

I think the days of homer announcers like Ciraldo and Munson may have passed.

From a completely objective viewpoint, Munson was a terrible, terrible announcer.

Call: "And the snap. We've got the ball. We throw it. Now they've got it. They're running! We're running! Oh no, the world is over! Wait, we've got it. YES!!!!!"

Actual play: first and 10, run up the middle for 3 yards.

The only reason - ONLY REASON - that guy had a job was that he empathized with UGA fans and had been there long enough that they followed him religiously.

If he applied to UGA (or any university broadcast department) right now with no history, his demo tapes would be laughed at and would end up as the color commentator for some Division III school.

Seems fishy to me. Guy had an 18 year gig at GT, was loved by the fan base and could do no wrong, then he decides to leave to pursue a TV opportunity? He could have stayed at GT and collected a nice paycheck (from ISP) for the rest of his life, not to mention the Falcons gig and the other opportunities that come from living in the capital of college football.

I wonder what really ran him off?

Seems fishy to me. Guy had an 18 year gig at GT, was loved by the fan base and could do no wrong, then he decides to leave to pursue a TV opportunity? He could have stayed at GT and collected a nice paycheck (from ISP) for the rest of his life, not to mention the Falcons gig and the other opportunities that come from living in the capital of college football.

You couldn't be further off base.

This is beyond idiotic. You obviously have never met Wes.

I love how every thread devolves into name calling and general douchbaggery. Well played, gentlemen.

I remember Al and Kim and Wes. We've had a good run with announcers and I expect that we will continue that trend. Best of luck to Wes.

I heard CPJ about to sign a new guy. He has other offers from Southern Miss, Alabama A&M, Appalacian State, and the Citadel; he has no offers from any other BCS conference school. He is familiar with option offenses from his days in high school. He sounds good on tape but may be a little short winded compared to typical announcers at this level. Rivals rates him a 2 star. :turbonoes:

Enlighten me please.

Stay tuned. Is it really that inconceivable that Wes wanted to work in TV and got an opportunity GT could not provide for him? Why start a conspiracy theory until we find out where he's going?

i believe Tech outsourced the media rights to ISP when Dave Braine was still here in 2000; so i dont think that Wes even worked for the GTAA but some people like to fling poo around and blame everything on 'the GTAA' - whatever

if you look at all the announcements they refer to Wes as the 'voice of the jackets' and 'associated with the program' but it does not say in any of them "leaving the GTAA" because he didnt work for the GTAA

Wes was a GTAA employee until two years ago when he became an IMG (formerly ISP) College employee. Radakovich's spin was that IMG could pay Wes a more competitive salary. Braine worked hard to keep Wes on the GTAA staff even after ISP got our media rights.

From a completely objective viewpoint, Munson was a terrible, terrible announcer.

Call: "And the snap. We've got the ball. We throw it. Now they've got it. They're running! We're running! Oh no, the world is over! Wait, we've got it. YES!!!!!"

The only reason - ONLY REASON - that guy had a job was that he empathized with UGA fans and had been there long enough that they followed him religiously.

If he applied to UGA (or any university broadcast department) right now with no history, his demo tapes would be laughed at and would end up as the color commentator for some Division III school.

Not far from the truth. I've actually heard him cut to the goober on the sidelines and said goober having to fill in "It's Georgia's ball on the 33 Larry" before starting the sideline report.:lol: That said, rural UGA fans loved him because he sounded like a drunk hick, so they related to him easy. Also, he was as biased in favor of UGA as I think he could possibly get; typically didn't know the names of players on the other team and had no interest in looking at the roster.

Originally Posted by gtphd

As would Al Ciraldo. Announcers from a different era, but fans of both schools love 'em both.

(Actually Al was a surprisingly good basketball announcer; I believe he could be competitive today in roundball).

As would Al Ciraldo. Announcers from a different era, but fans of both schools love 'em both.

(Actually Al was a surprisingly good basketball announcer; I believe he could be competitive today in roundball).

I wonder if he had been calling our basketball games during the Hewitt era, would he have referred to our quick 3pt shots as "wild hares" rather than bunnies?

I think people are ignoring the obvious. We scheduled ourselves to play Elon this year. Wes quit so that he wouldn't have to call a game against his alma mater.

Back