What are folks thinking about Paul Johnson these days?

If recruiting is part of a coaches job, certainly hiring assistants is part of a coaches job.

Of course it is. I'm not making the Gailey was just as good argument.

Just hated watching Nix call a game like a ----ing moran. 3rd and short in a game where Choice is killing it? Let's call a WR reverse!

Oh, also, no GT team in the past 30 years has had more talent than we had in 2006. We had more future NFL players on that team than Georgia may have that entire decade. Go back and look at that roster, and explain to me how exactly we lost to Wake Forest 6 to 3.

Make your explanation long, and detailed, and be sure you discuss all aspects of how awesome Gailey was as a coach.

Chan.

Lol.

Reggie ----ing Ball. That was Chan's biggest mistake. It was 9-6 by the way.

Oh, also, no GT team in the past 30 years has had more talent than we had in 2006. We had more future NFL players on that team than Georgia may have that entire decade. Go back and look at that roster, and explain to me how exactly we lost to Wake Forest 6 to 3.

Make your explanation long, and detailed, and be sure you discuss all aspects of how awesome Gailey was as a coach.

Chan.

Lol.

Reggie. Ball.

As evidenced by the fact that one game later, when Reggie couldn't play, Calvin Johnson set his personal records in several receiving categories. And yes WVU had bad pass defense, but certainly Reggie played many worse pass defenses with Calvin over his career.

Obviously that is totally Gailey's fault, whether he was just making the wrong decision in not benching Reggie or whether he hadn't prepared another quarterback to take over. Two things really stick out at me from the Gailey/Reggie fiasco (which itself has to be regarded as basically defining the Gailey era):

1. Gailey's loyalty is what ended up killing him in the end. I truly believe that 2006 team was national championship caliber in terms of talent except for Reggie. Not only did he perform poorly, but his "hero ball" and trying to do it himself cost us several times as well.

2. Reggie was extremely lucky not only to have Calvin Johnson to throw to for three years, but also that Calvin left when Reggie did so Bennett didn't get to throw to Calvin. Bennett was unlucky for the same reason.

Calvin was the type of player who could make a truly awful quarterback into a four year starter and James Johnson into a stud number two option.

I'd like jacketup to point to one single time / decision / thing Paul Johnson has done that remotely equates to the high jackassery known as "Reggie Ball, four year starter."

I'll wait patiently.

Chan.

Lol.

"...no GT team in the past 30 years has had more talent than we had in 2006...."

Dont think so.

The 2006 GT team doesnt come close to the 1990 GT team.

The 1990 team was freakin LOADED.

And, to prove that fact, they have:

1. An ACC Championship
2. A National Title
3. A victory over UGAG

None of which the 2006 GT team had.

I'd like jacketup to point to one single time / decision / thing Paul Johnson has done that remotely equates to the high jackassery known as "Reggie Ball, four year starter."

I'll wait patiently.

"Vad Lee, redshirt freshman."

:wink:

Of course it is. I'm not making the Gailey was just as good argument.

Just hated watching Nix call a game like a ----ing moran. 3rd and short in a game where Choice is killing it? Let's call a WR reverse!

Nix NEVER called plays.

Gailey made it abundantly clear in his first interview being introduced as the new GT Head Coach, that HE...and only HE, was going to be calling the offensive plays.

Thats why he and then-OC Bill O'Brien had a MAJOR falling out and O'Brien left. Gailey ran off an OC that had spent the previous few years learning under Friedgen.

Why would you chase-off an OC that had been tutored by Friedgen who had turned the GT Offense into an Offensive juggernaut, averaging almost 35 points per game, unless youre a dumbass coach, which of course Gailey was.

GT offensive scoring dropped DRAMATICALLY when Gailey took over because Gailey SUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED as an OC and a D1 Head Coach

I think we should just go ahead and fire CPJ now....cut our losses before the VT game...Vad can fill in at Head Coach :koolaidwall:

Had CPJ beat uga once out of the last three this thread wouldn't exist. It's as simple as that.

Nix NEVER called plays.

Gailey made it abundantly clear in his first interview being introduced as the new GT Head Coach, that HE...and only HE, was going to be calling the offensive plays.

Thats why he and then-OC Bill O'Brien had a MAJOR falling out and O'Brien left. Gailey ran off an OC that had spent the previous few years learning under Friedgen.

Why would you chase-off an OC that had been tutored by Friedgen who had turned the GT Offense into an Offensive juggernaut, averaging almost 35 points per game, unless youre a dumbass coach, which of course Gailey was.

GT offensive scoring dropped DRAMATICALLY when Gailey took over because Gailey SUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED as an OC and a D1 Head Coach

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2424786

?

You act like Gailey killed your mother or something.

Nix NEVER called plays.

Oh. That most explain Nix's excellent play calling at Miami.

Oh wait.

PJ is 10 times the coach Gailey was. PJ's problem comes down to recruiting. He has trouble recruiting talented players.

Remember losing to Air Force.

Thats just embarrassing.

That was embarrassing for Air Force too though. In fact, that game was embarrassing to everyone who enjoys the sport of football.

That was embarrassing for Air Force too though. In fact, that game was embarrassing to everyone who enjoys the sport of football.

Almost as bad as losing to kansas

Or

Blowing your wad vs utah.

We are talking 8 wins because how bad our schedule is. Put us in one of the bigs or sec and we are about a 5 win team (providing we have weak ooc)

Stop comparing his stats and accomplishments to other acc programs, this conference is terrible. Being 4th in it is not a huge deal.

We are talking 8 wins because how bad our schedule is. Put us in one of the bigs or sec and we are about a 5 win team (providing we have weak ooc)

Stop comparing his stats and accomplishments to other acc programs, this conference is terrible. Being 4th in it is not a huge deal.

You have an over-inflated sense of conference strength (and ACC inferiority).

You really believe that GTech would be worse than middle of the back in the B12-2 or B10+2? I could name 5 schools in each that GTech would probably beat and another couple that they would have been competitive with. I won't even bother going through the Pac12 or Beast because GTech could obviously compete in those conferences. As for the SEC, they would have a hard time finishing better than middle of the pack, but I'd be very surprised if the likes of Mississippi, MSU, Vandy, and Kentucky, for instance, beat PJ often.

And, this is all after just 4 seasons.

I know you were a kicker/soccer guy, so you don't fully understand the value of repetitions in an offense, but it takes years to build a program. GTech will emerge in the next couple of seasons, especially if they get things figured out on D. You don't know how close you are to a real impressive run. It reminds me of when Osborne was taking heat for losing 7 consecutive bowl games (badly) and having some rough seasons in the early 90s. At some point, if you are patient, things will click.

But, it takes time.

People seem to forget that because it only takes a couple of weeks to build a dynasty on their Playstation.

Since you are bellyaching, I'd love to see some of your suggestions for who would take the GTech job if it were open.

Back