Wonder how our players are feeling

It is kinda true because you dont have your best defense play against your best offense. You have a bunch of kids who didnt make the 1st or 2nd team play against your defense, which isnt really prepping you for the game. Paul Johnson had bad defenses at Southern too.

Yep. You've got kids recruited and coached to play the TO instead playing a different scheme in the Scout Team O. The QB and WRs the first-string D practices against will be nothing remotely close to what they'll face on Saturday. No idea who our Scout Team TE was but I'm betting he was much worse than any TE our D actually faced.

As you said, it wasn't an anomaly with CPJ, it was a trend. So many years of bad D with different DCs and only one thing in common.

“I don’t care how much you know until I know how much you care.”

I am oversimplifying my point but PJ was great at inspiring and leading 22 year-old men. My gut is GC is great at inspiring 16-18 year-old kids/young men. Great CEOs/leaders like Dabo are able to do both.

I did not hear a used car salesman at that press conference. I heard a CEO. If GC is the CEO I think he can be, he will teach, inspire and lead all ages and personalities. If he does, it is going to be a really fun next decade.

I was at home downstairs, resigned to the loss. I called my dad after the TD and said "did you see that?"...he had turned the game off earlier assuming we had lost

This is the game my 9 year old (at the time) learned why you never leave a game early.
I learned the same lesson the hard way. Watched the catch through the fence at the top of the hill (which was actually a way better view than my iMax seats in the upper deck.

Yep. You've got kids recruited and coached to play the TO instead playing a different scheme in the Scout Team O. The QB and WRs the first-string D practices against will be nothing remotely close to what they'll face on Saturday. No idea who our Scout Team TE was but I'm betting he was much worse than any TE our D actually faced.

As you said, it wasn't an anomaly with CPJ, it was a trend. So many years of bad D with different DCs and only one thing in common.
This is fair. I'd still argue that lack of talent was a much bigger issue on defense than anything else, but we definitely had a consistent defense problem that wasn't getting solved. I think if we had better players, we'd have MUCH better results.

I'll offer Nebraska as an example. The Blackshirts were absolutely dominant on defense in the 90s despite running the option. They had great players and a competent defensive coaching staff. Defense is usually that simple. Army and Navy are not great on defense, because they don't have good players.

Our staff was just not good at recruiting, and GT football isn't going to recruit itself. That's a recipe for a bad defense.

The current roster isn't where anybody would want it.

Ok, so I looked up the recruiting for the four years before PJ took over and for the three years going into this signing class.
From 05-08, Tech signed a total of 9 four stars. One left in the transition (Threet) and another left early into the PJ era (Donley), leaving 7 4 stars.
From 05-08, we signed 28 2 stars and 36 3 stars.
From 16-18, we have signed 8 4 stars. One left (woods), leaving 7 4 stars on the roster - about the same number PJ had for the bulk of those classes' playing time.
We also signed 15 2 stars and 40 3 stars. In three years. With 2 2 stars and 14 3 stars currently committed.
CGC is taking over a better roster, based on the star ratings system, than CPJ did.

Ok, so I looked up the recruiting for the four years before PJ took over and for the three years going into this signing class.
From 05-08, Tech signed a total of 9 four stars. One left in the transition (Threet) and another left early into the PJ era (Donley), leaving 7 4 stars.
From 16-18, we have signed 8 4 stars. One left (woods), leaving 7 4 stars on the roster - about the same number PJ had for the bulk of those classes' playing time.
We also signed 15 2 stars and 40 3 stars. In three years. With 2 2 stars and 14 3 stars currently committed.
CGC is taking over a better roster, based on the star ratings system, than CPJ did.
Excuse incoming...

Threet left spring 2007 while Gailey was still coach. I think he could have made a difference and perhaps saved Gailey's job. Renfree had committed to the class of 2008 and decommitted when Johnson was hired. I had high hopes for the program getting both of those players. Was disappointed when Threet left and thought he made a huge mistake leaving - still do think it was a mistake

Perhaps there's more to it than CPJ wants to admit. For example, the defense scout teams is practicing against it, and a lot of those players are growing into regular playing roles. And obviously there's the scrimmages and such.

This would help explain why we could never field a competent defense under PJ...it can't help, especially in the secondary.

I think there are like 1000 3 stars. So player 500 and 1500 are not the same. Several, like 5-6, 3 stars under CG has good NFL careers. Our 3 stars the last 7-8 years tend to have offers from Appalachian State and Wake Forest meaning they are a lot closer to number 1500 than number 500.

For whatever reason, Gailey’s staff also turned several under-the-radar guys into great players like Michael Johnson to name one. Johnson’s staff did not.

I took the roster management comment as very common sense. We dont have a tight end, our wrs are primarily used to block, we have way too many rbs for a normal offense, our OL is undersized, etc.

To his credit he never talked about transition, rather he said he will taylor the offense based on his roster while he builds towards his roster management.

He wants to run a system that translates to the NFL, that is a couple years away. The fact CPJ kept the bowl streak alive during his transition showed his pedigree as a coach. CGC has the same challenge.

I was a little dismayed when Collins talked about the offense hurting the defense because they practice against it. Which he knows really isn't true after mid August and isn't true for most of the time. Unless you run the same damn offense everyone else is running. And we weren't.
You don't play against your own scheme Saturday. You don't practice against it Monday through Thursday.
I was fairly taken aback that he repeated that canard.

Echoing what another poster said: I think Collins recognizes that this perception exists, be it right or wrong, and by changing the offense, which he was all but certain to do anyway, he can remove that perception.

“I don’t care how much you know until I know how much you care.”

I am oversimplifying my point but PJ was great at inspiring and leading 22 year-old men. My gut is GC is great at inspiring 16-18 year-old kids/young men. Great CEOs/leaders like Dabo are able to do both.

I did not hear a used car salesman at that press conference. I heard a CEO. If GC is the CEO I think he can be, he will teach, inspire and lead all ages and personalities. If he does, it is going to be a really fun next decade.

If Collins meets expectations, he'll been seen as an inspiring CEO. If he does not, he'll be seen as a used car salesman masquerading as a coach.

Shaq Mason
Jeremiah Attochu
Adam Gotsis
Parker Braun

just shut the öööö up already

lol

upload_2018-12-9_15-33-57.png

misery club

Back