Wonder how our players are feeling

lol

upload_2018-12-9_15-33-57.png

misery club

you need to quit living in the QB-keeper-filled past, Chachi.

CPJ is gone. The era of option football at GT is over.

Acceptance is the first step.

you need to quit living in the QB-keeper-filled past, Chachi.

CPJ is gone. The era of option football at GT is over.

Acceptance is the first step.
I don't think anyone here is claiming the option is staying.

Shaq Mason
Jeremiah Attochu
Adam Gotsis
Parker Braun

just shut the öööö up already

Parker Braun was an awesome high school football player. Recruited heavily. Top 500 player. Essentially a 4-star. Freshman All-AMERICAN. Gostis, even better. Dominated from freshman season. Thank goodness he was not from the US so was unknown. Shaq is a great example of a player getting better and better. I thought Jeremiah was highly recruited also. Perhaps I am wrong on JA.

We needed a lot more Parkers (highly rated) and Shaqs (developed well) over the last decade. Unfortunately they were rare.

Are you really trying to make the point that CPJ did a great job with player development?

Any rational, non-butthurt person could look at it objectively that he did not do a great job recruiting or with player development.

No. That's never been my point.

The point is that the recruiting and development differences under Gailey and Johnson are insignificant, and that people who remember Gailey being a heads-and-shoulders better personnel coach than Johnson are deluding themselves. Both saw some success, but neither were elite.

Parker Braun was an awesome high school football player. Recruited heavily. Top 500 player. Essentially a 4-star. Freshman All-AMERICAN. Gostis, even better. Dominated from freshman season. Thank goodness he was not from the US so was unknown. Shaq is a great example of a player getting better and better. I thought Jeremiah was highly recruited also. Perhaps I am wrong on JA.

We needed a lot more Parkers (highly rated) and Shaqs (developed well) over the last decade. Unfortunately they were rare.

I was wrong about Braun not being heavily recruited. I take the rest of your post as an admission that you realize that you have mis-remembered Gailey's time here. Thanks.

Edit: Here's Michael Johnson's offer sheet. Hardly "under the radar" w/4 offers from AQ BCS conferences including offers from Petrino, Bowden, and Tuberville.

2018-12-09.png

As of now, there were as many NFL draft picks on the 2008 roster as CPJ signed during his entire tenure (of course we could have 2-3 more guys trickle into the league but the current roster doesn't have any clear cut pros)

Also comparing Star-Ratings of today to 15 yeas ago isn't Apples to Apples. The recruiting services rank 3X more players nowadays -- and hand 3* and 4* ratings much more liberally.

As of now, there were as many NFL draft picks on the 2008 roster as CPJ signed during his entire tenure (of course we could have 2-3 more guys trickle into the league but the current roster doesn't have any clear cut pros)

Also comparing Star-Ratings of today to 15 yeas ago isn't Apples to Apples. The recruiting services rank 3X more players nowadays -- and hand 3* and 4* ratings much more liberally.

This is correct.

No. That's never been my point.

The point is that the recruiting and development differences under Gailey and Johnson are insignificant, and that people who remember Gailey being a heads-and-shoulders better personnel coach than Johnson are deluding themselves. Both saw some success, but neither were elite.

Heck no Gailey waan’t elite. But he was better than Johnson at developing/recruiting. Johnson was a lot better at coaching. They essentially have the exact same record. Gailey was better at one aspect than Johnson was better at one aspect than Gailey. My hope and expectation is GC will be a lot better than both at recruiting and development and better than Johnson on defense and ST X’s and O’s. Johnson was a genius at his craft but his ceiling was 2014 with an elite QB. And his floor was 2015. I expect with GC and his recruiting we can hit the ceiling more often than PJ did and the floor is much, much higher.

No I am not admitting your flawed point about recruiting. Johnson was below average at both recruiting and developing talent. He was a genius at the Xs and Os offensively.

Ok, so I looked up the recruiting for the four years before PJ took over and for the three years going into this signing class.
From 05-08, Tech signed a total of 9 four stars. One left in the transition (Threet) and another left early into the PJ era (Donley), leaving 7 4 stars.
From 05-08, we signed 28 2 stars and 36 3 stars.
From 16-18, we have signed 8 4 stars. One left (woods), leaving 7 4 stars on the roster - about the same number PJ had for the bulk of those classes' playing time.
We also signed 15 2 stars and 40 3 stars. In three years. With 2 2 stars and 14 3 stars currently committed.
CGC is taking over a better roster, based on the star ratings system, than CPJ did.
That wasn't the point. My comment was reinforcing the poster's comment that the current roster was not what Coach Collins wanted it to be. I said the current roster isn't where anyone would want it to be--save, possibly, Paul Johnson. If you are happy with our current roster, more power to you. But I think it has been universally acknowledged that Georgia Tech would benefit from having better athletes on the team.

The Georgia game and the Clemson game each year show our recruiting deficit better than anything else. The other is
how many kids have made it to the NFL during Johnson's years. I loved coach Johnson and I really like the triple option or
flex bone offense but it is obvious kids don't like it and that is what you need, aggressive tough kids. It is not so much four star
or three star but keeping the talent in Georgia and especially close to Atlanta at TECH. Coach Collins is going to create an atmosphere
where kids want to play and also get a great education. I am all in. I actually think we have a good offensive base anyway. Jalen Camp is a
big guy and could easily play tight end or a hybrid H-back. We have a ton of running backs, some of which could be receivers. We have a
talented offensive line that will be taught how to pass block. Remember, they never actually pass blocked. It was always a run first blocking scheme.
I think the defense needs work but hopefully as a defensive minded coach he will draw defensive talent to TECH. GO Jackets

Back