Another fun BuzzOff story for you

If I was 20oz Bulldog (or YLO),

I would never admit I was wrong. I don't what know you want BOR. Last year, you were saying Orange Bowl. This year you seem to be content if Tech football became intramural. The 18-22 year olds were supposedly recruited by Gailey to "beat UGA and win the ACC". I don't think they came to Tech to be the tail end of a social event. As far as QB goes, I put more blame on Gailey but Ball deserves some blame. We've gone through too many QB's (Hall, Carter, etc) to say they all couldn't hack it. It still bothers me that Ball said fans "expect too much from me" after finishing 10th in the ACC in passing among a weak QB crop. He needs to demand more of himself the way QB's like Dewberry and Hamilton did.
GTCrew, your argument is embarrasing. Williams and Brown are top 10 NFL picks. Campbell is a 3 year starter who had an outstanding senior year. The players behind them might be good but they can't match that talent level or experience. This will the first or second game for a new QB for Auburn. Tech should be able to hold them down defensively. YLO, I suggest you look up Gailey's record at Samford which was 5-6 (Gailey then bailed) which was his only college experience since 1984. You all can be like Rickyreck and say the best days of Tech are in the past. I think we can do better. 30 years ago, FSU was a laughing stock and Miami was considering dropping football. With the right president, the right AD, and the right coach, Tech can prove the Rickyrecks of the world wrong. Two strecthes of 34-15 and 26-9-1 IN THE LAST 16 YEARS show that it can be done.

Re: If I was 20oz Bulldog (or YLO),

[ QUOTE ]
Last year, you were saying Orange Bowl.

[/ QUOTE ]
Taken out of context. This was a pump up the fans post and nothing more. I go into every year saying the same thing. If you've read my posts long enough you'd know that. But spin on, spin on.

[ QUOTE ]
This year you seem to be content if Tech football became intramural.

[/ QUOTE ]
Spin it some more. Where have I EVER seemed content with that? Could you show me please?

[ QUOTE ]
The 18-22 year olds were supposedly recruited by Gailey to "beat UGA and win the ACC". I don't think they came to Tech to be the tail end of a social event.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, that was pretty funny.

[ QUOTE ]
As far as QB goes, I put more blame on Gailey but Ball deserves some blame. We've gone through too many QB's (Hall, Carter, etc) to say they all couldn't hack it. It still bothers me that Ball said fans "expect too much from me" after finishing 10th in the ACC in passing among a weak QB crop. He needs to demand more of himself the way QB's like Dewberry and Hamilton did.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have always agreed with you here, but I don't think Gailey's had all that much to work with, which we disagree on. Hall is an aberation to me. His situation here is disappointing to say the least.

[ QUOTE ]
YLO, I suggest you look up Gailey's record at Samford which was 5-6 (Gailey then bailed) which was his only college experience since 1984.

[/ QUOTE ]

He did win a 1-AA National Championship at Troy State though.

[ QUOTE ]
You all can be like Rickyreck and say the best days of Tech are in the past. I think we can do better. 30 years ago, FSU was a laughing stock and Miami was considering dropping football. With the right president, the right AD, and the right coach, Tech can prove the Rickyrecks of the world wrong. Two strecthes of 34-15 and 26-9-1 IN THE LAST 16 YEARS show that it can be done.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think many here would completely agree or agree at all with RickeyReck on this point. I certainly don't. But you take a RickeyReck and you take a 3518Techie, and somewhere in the middle, you have the rest of us. Wanting More but having realistic expectations that are dependent on solid growth.

Re: Dean, you\'re right and BOR is wrong.

Please don't disrespect Mr. Morris Herbee. If you have a problem i will help you find him to tell him how you feel. This is one of Tech's finest and he deserves better.

I also spoke to Mr. King about this and I think this subject needs to end immediately because there are some fools being made here and your hanging out with them.

Please don't disrespect Mr. Morris Herbee. If you have a problem i will help you find him to tell him how you feel. This is one of Tech's finest and he deserves better.

I also spoke to Mr. King about this and I think this subject needs to end immediately.

Re: One thing I have noticed...

What a depressing post. I can not decide who is more negative, the Gailey bashers or the fans who predict we should expect less simply because that is our history. What about the enthusiasm and perserverence to do better? Sure the college football landscape has changed but you adapt and find a way. If Gailey isn't successful, I am convinced there is someone out there who can be. Will they stay forever, probably not. I think it is worth the risk.

RM..I never said I disrespect him and I never will ... I am just saying he is the one that got Braine and CCG together
Am I right or wrong ?
You talked to King and I didnt, I was only repeating what was in thr papers at the time

Teckie, that still comes up to 6 years out of 15 what about the other 9? And yes our best days so far are behind us but your formula for making our future days will IMO not get the results we are looking for. 3 years in 7 and 3 in 6 does not make our program top tier. You can claim top tier when you can win consistantly over a period of years lets say 7 in 10 or 14 in 20. 6 in 15 proves NOTHING. Chasing the the coach off every 3 years is not how you get there.

If you want to be an elite program you have to consistant and no team will be that without stability in the HC office.
Look at our history same for the mutts or FLA How about Bowden at fsu 30 years ago they were going through coaches every 2 or 3 years. History does have a way of biting you in the arse if you are not carefull.

this just for the man .. 3518techie

i apologize that Geis compared Bilbo to Sharpe.

lol

Re: One thing I have noticed...

CJ, No one, Me included, thinks that we should accept less of anything. Our history shows we can be the best, but our history also shows that it will not come as easily as it once did. Your post said that IF CCG fails, the post that I have a problem with assume he has ALREADY failed after just 3 years. I expect better,I think we'll get better this year
but I do not think you can fire a coach after 3 years unless the program has digressed or he has lost control of it. None of these things has happened. No coach has a better record after 3 years in the last 20.

Although we face tougher recruting restrictions, and a much harder schedule, I'm sure there is someone that would take CCG place if he fails also, but lets give CCG a chance before we run him off as some want to do after 3 years , in some cases they wanted him out before his first team took the field.

We do not have people beating down our door to take the HC position we did not have anyone doing that when GOL left.We were turned down more than once.
We have a coach that wanted the job, he looked at all our negitives and still wanted to be our coach. Don't you think we should give this guy a chance before we try and find another?

Look at any of the elite programs in the country and you will see stability over the years IMO to get stability at GT we must give our coach time to build a program. If we start running our coach off every 3 years we will become a coaching graveyard.

Any AD that would have hired Paul Johnson or Jimmy Robinson 3 years ago over CCG would have been foolish at best.
Robinson is a TECH Grad and is a good position coach with a pro team, Johnson did a very good job at GSU but thats still 1AA and that is a huge leap to D1 for most coaches.

GT has always been a very tough academic Institution and thru the years and increasingly difficult coaching situation.
Both students and coaches have a much more difficult enviorment to compete in than anyother school playing D1 football.JMO

BOR, don't think i've ever said our best days were behind us. 3518 and some of the BO crowd believe that you can use history only if it is recent and I do not agree with that.
I do not believe we should live in the past but remember what it was like in order to be able to know where you been.

Winning football games 3 of 6 and 3 of 7 years is not what I think should be our measuring stick. According to them You and I are accepting medioricty if we think we can only perform to a certain standard that THEY think should be upheld, and hire a coach THEY think is or was available when DB hired CCG or just fire CCG now.

I do not believe thier formula for returning GT to the glory days is a workable solution, IMO, Glory days are more than 6 years in 15, If we fire a coach after only 3 years for no apparent reason it will only cause us bigger problems. There solution seem to be hire the coach and put a demand on him of an 8 game average and if he can not do that in 3 years fire him a get another from the long list of canidates that they THINK can or for that matter would come to GT and do the job.

I have been around GT football for a long time and can assure you that I think our best days are ahead of us but IMO we need to have patience and give our coach, whom ever he might be, time to build and hopefully stay at GT for the long hual, and we might just possibly return to the REAL GLORY DAYS, I think history bears me out.

[ QUOTE ]
BOR, don't think i've ever said our best days were behind us. 3518 and some of the BO crowd believe that you can use history only if it is recent and I do not agree with that.
I do not believe we should live in the past but remember what it was like in order to be able to know where you been.

Winning football games 3 of 6 and 3 of 7 years is not what I think should be our measuring stick. According to them You and I are accepting medioricty if we think we can only perform to a certain standard that THEY think should be upheld, and hire a coach THEY think is or was available when DB hired CCG or just fire CCG now.

I do not believe thier formula for returning GT to the glory days is a workable solution, IMO, Glory days are more than 6 years in 15, If we fire a coach after only 3 years for no apparent reason it will only cause us bigger problems. There solution seem to be hire the coach and put a demand on him of an 8 game average and if he can not do that in 3 years fire him a get another from the long list of canidates that they THINK can or for that matter would come to GT and do the job.

I have been around GT football for a long time and can assure you that I think our best days are ahead of us but IMO we need to have patience and give our coach, whom ever he might be, time to build and hopefully stay at GT for the long hual, and we might just possibly return to the REAL GLORY DAYS, I think history bears me out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can agree with you here.

But I cannot agree with your statement, here:
[ QUOTE ]
Like it or not TECH is a tough coaching situationThe new guy at ND will be sucessful but it won't be as easy as it has been in the past, their Academics unless lowered will, IMO pose a problem. They once played the hardest schedule in the country they will not be able to do that anymore if they can't get the atheletes.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is all about how a coach markets his program.

BOR, I don\'t expect 10 win seasons every year

Even the stretches I mentioned, we averaged about 9 wins per year. Rickywreck, we've had 11 seasons out of the last 16 where we've won 7 games. In the last 10 years, we've had only one losing season. I think the problem is the bill has come due for the FOC'ers. We've heard that Gailey's recruiting classes are better than O'Leary's. The recruiting experts don't know anything. Now, it's time for those recruitng classes to kick in and the FOC'ers are getting nervous. If those Gailey recruiting were as good as a lot of posters on this board have claimed, we should be a contender for the ACC title this year. Now, we start hearing a different set of excuses. The schedule is too tough. You can't win consistently at Tech. Nobody wants to coach here. I think we'll only ever get excuses and not results during the Gailey era.

so what are you saying exactly?

what a bunch of words with no meaning.

here we go .. put your worth where your mouth is. you still haven't answered the question.

what are you going to do if we win more than 7 games this year? are you going to quit BuzzOFF? are you going to acknowledge Gailey as a good head coach? an 8 win season at Tech is a good year right?

answer these simple questions techie.

i'll be fair.

if we win less than 7 game this year, i will be on the fence with this coaching staff, and looking to jump off to your side.

RickyReck this is a worn out excuse IYAM...

[ QUOTE ]
No coach has a better record after 3 years in the last 20.

[/ QUOTE ]

What previous GT coach walked into a situation in as good as ours was at the end of the O'Leary run?? Even with doing basically nothing in his first recruiting class Chan was able to basically sleep-walk his way through his first season and still finished above .500.

Here are some other things Gailey has "achieved" here that no one else has:
- Worst loss EVER to UGA
- Worst loss in decades to Clemson
- Handed Duke their first ACC win in like 4 years or something?
- Presided over 2 of our most embarrasing moments EVER (the safety against VT and of course the spike/throw away in Athens)

Look I have NOTHING against Gailey personally, I'm sure he's a great guy. However what's happened over his 3 years here has IMO been enough to show me he's not the right guy to coach our team. I was extremely disappointed that he has chosen not to bring in a proven OC or at least QB coach this offseason.

HOWEVER with all that being said again I have NOTHING against Gailey personally. IOW if we go out and kick some serious arse this fall, win 8+, have ZERO "brain-cramp" moments like we've seen, etc, I'll be the first guy back on the FOC bandwagon singing his praises. For me it has nothing to do with him specifically, it's all about the program...

Re: BOR, I don\'t expect 10 win seasons every year

[ QUOTE ]
we should be a contender for the ACC title this year

[/ QUOTE ]

We are. Check out the College Football News.

[ QUOTE ]
Now, we start hearing a different set of excuses.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the difference between excuses and facts?

Fact: Our schedule IS tough.
Fact: Since Dodd, no coach has won consistantly at Tech.
Fact: No established big name coach will want to coach here.

All of the above notwithstanding, Gailey is our very best shot to win to YOUR standards. And this year could very well be the year.

Defining the \"FOCER\".

[ QUOTE ]
Even the stretches I mentioned, we averaged about 9 wins per year. Rickywreck, we've had 11 seasons out of the last 16 where we've won 7 games. In the last 10 years, we've had only one losing season. I think the problem is the bill has come due for the FOC'ers. We've heard that Gailey's recruiting classes are better than O'Leary's. The recruiting experts don't know anything. Now, it's time for those recruitng classes to kick in and the FOC'ers are getting nervous. If those Gailey recruiting were as good as a lot of posters on this board have claimed, we should be a contender for the ACC title this year. Now, we start hearing a different set of excuses. The schedule is too tough. You can't win consistently at Tech. Nobody wants to coach here. I think we'll only ever get excuses and not results during the Gailey era.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is about as accurate of a statement as you have made with one HUGE Exception. You ruined your post by drawing a line in the sand and putting Gailey's responsiblities on the so called "FOCERS". The bill has come due with GAILEY NOT THE "FOCERS". Gailey controls his own destiny, NOT the "FOCERS".

I agree, It is time for Gailey's recruiting classes to "kick in", but how does this have anything to do with the "FOCERS"?

A FOCER is not somebody who blindly supports Gailey as you, Beebad, and SLJ would like to believe. A FOCER is somebody who HOPES for Gailey to succeed. I hope he can succeed. Why would anyone want anything else? THAT is the REAL question here. I'm not hoping he succeeds because it makes me look good. I'm hoping he succeeds because that will give us what we all want which is a powerhouse football team.

But like most of the "FOCERS" if he doesn't succeed, then we need to go in a new direction. I don't think there's a FOCER out there who would hope Gailey can remain our coach if stinks it up this year.

On the other hand, there are those like Beebad and SLJ, who DO NOT HOPE for Gailey to succeed. They hope for Gailey to fall right on his ass. Isn't it in their best interest to want Gailey to win 9-10 games this year? No its not. They have maintained that Gailey sucks, they've maintained that his recruiting stinks, you are also one of those people. But unlike them I think you are at least smart enough to recognize that its good for all of us if Gailey succeeds. They don't think that way. If he does succeed, they'll make back handed comments like, "Well, its about time because we got a slew of talent". But all along they've maintained that our talent stinks. So which is it?

They've backed themselves in a corner and have made up this Bullshit term "FOCER" to draw a line between our fan base. There is no such thing as a FOCER. We all hope he succeeds, but if he doesn't, kiss him good bye and lets get someone else. But the Buzzoff 4 rather waste their time creating division in the fan base, all the while being too damn stupid to see what they are doing, than realize that in reality, we all want the same thing. Instead they go and waste time discussing what this "FOCER" said and what that "FOCER said.

The only stipulation between you, Beebad, SLJ and the rest of us is that you think 2 or 3 years is good enough to know and the rest of us believe that 4 or 5 years is the time limit. For me personally its 4. I don't see any advantage to making a standard of cutting coaches loose before they have their seniors taking the field. So it comes down to a matter of patience really.

Please help me define FOCER? It behooves us all to be supportive while a coach is here and try to provide an atmosphere in which the present coach will succeed. Being detrimental to that atmosphere is really just counterproductive. Of course there are several too stupid to understand that. If we provide the support base regardless of how little or how much it helps our team, and the coach cannot make it happen in W's and SOLID improvement, then there is no one out there that will tell you that they would be content with that.

I support Chan, because I want Tech football to succeed. I support Chan, because I support Georgia Tech. Now sometimes I might disagree with Chan. Sometimes I might be critical of Chan because he ran the fade pattern on 4th and 1 on the goal line. But because I would do something different doesn't stray from the fact that I still want Chan to succeed because that is what is best for Tech. Therefore I support him because I support GT.

If Chan cannot succeed then he cannot help GT, and if he cannot help us, then he is hurting us, and we need to move on. So really, if we fail then Chan didn't hold up his end of the bargain. I at least know that for me personally, I did everything I could to be a positive attribute in the most miniscule of ways that I could to his program, so I won't feel badly about looking for a new coach.

I certainly am not going to make a personal issue out of the matter by alienating other people who like Chan or don't like Chan. The reason I have made it a personal issue with Buzzoff is those guys are hurting GT because they made it a personal issue. Unfortuantely, they are too stupid to recognize it.

If you don't like Chan, that is fine. But don't go making insults every chance you get about the man, his team, the program, the students, the other fans, and the school. How is that at all complimentery of GT? How does Beebad in ANY WAY compliment the school he is an apparent fan of? He doesn't. And if you don't see that, then you're as dumb as he is.

That's why I question those guys as fans. That's why I have and will continually call them out. They're garbage and because they've done so much damage it doesn't make me feel bad at all trying to separate them from our fan base. Why? Because I support GT, and if those guys are negative about GT regardless of who is coach, then those guys hurt GT. That's why I don't have a problem trying to cut the Buzzoff fat from the steak.

Mr, Barrel of Rum......

If this isn't the best post you've ever made, it's certainly the best one you've made in reference to the hatefest known as buzzoff.

Excellent and well said, sir! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbup.gif

Back