Expansion Rumors…

They’re filing Thursday
I hope they end up in the BIG12.

The thing that really pisses me off about this is this started into motion with Swofford. If he had any semblance of competence, it would be the BIG10, SEC, and ACC on equal footing. Back in 2004, the ACC was mentioned in the same breath as the SEC and many wondered if the ACC would challenge the SEC. Swofford can go to hell.

They’re filing Thursday
8u6az2.jpg

Tallahassee judge is about to issue ruling. Just got livestream alert from news app. I don't have any leaks as to what to expect.

Judge denied ACC's motion to dismiss FSU's lawsuit over jurisdictional issues. ACC will defend itself in both NC and FL.

Judge Cooper denies ACC's motion to dismiss on personal jurisdiction, rules in favor of FSU on issue​

After lengthy arguments from both FSU and the ACC, Judge Cooper ruled in favor of FSU on the issue of personal jurisdiction, denying the ACC's motion to dismiss based on personal jurisdiction, which refers to the court's authority to hand out decisions on a person or party in a legal case, a pivotal ruling in the school's legal battle with the conference.

Judge Cooper cited multiple cases, including the venison salami case, a much-used example in the hearings in reference to personal jurisdiction and its implementation in a case. He said that FSU's second amended complaint, which he ordered following the second hearing, provided more clarity on its argument for jurisdiction and met the requirements for his ruling in favor of the school.

"I have found that the complaint effectively alleges that the ACC operates a significant business in Florida," Judge Cooper said.

Judge Cooper said he felt FSU's argument that the ACC is carrying out a business in the state of Florida is the strongest argument it made.

Judge Cooper says he believes that the ACC's affidavit admits that the conference is doing business in Florida by "conducting and producing sports events originating from FSU and Miami home games." He said it authorizes ESPN and other networks to broadcast, and the ACC makes revenue from the broadcasts which qualifies it as a business.

He continued by saying he hasn't seen the percentages of what revenue is paid to member schools in the revenue-sharing plan. Judge Cooper said you don't have to have an office or agency in the state of Florida to be a business, citing the ACC's broadcasting of FSU and Miami home games as 'business.'

Court will resume at 3:30 for the remainder of the motions to be addressed.

Judge denied ACC's motion to dismiss FSU's lawsuit over jurisdictional issues. ACC will defend itself in both NC and FL.

Judge Cooper denies ACC's motion to dismiss on personal jurisdiction, rules in favor of FSU on issue​

After lengthy arguments from both FSU and the ACC, Judge Cooper ruled in favor of FSU on the issue of personal jurisdiction, denying the ACC's motion to dismiss based on personal jurisdiction, which refers to the court's authority to hand out decisions on a person or party in a legal case, a pivotal ruling in the school's legal battle with the conference.

Judge Cooper cited multiple cases, including the venison salami case, a much-used example in the hearings in reference to personal jurisdiction and its implementation in a case. He said that FSU's second amended complaint, which he ordered following the second hearing, provided more clarity on its argument for jurisdiction and met the requirements for his ruling in favor of the school.

"I have found that the complaint effectively alleges that the ACC operates a significant business in Florida," Judge Cooper said.

Judge Cooper said he felt FSU's argument that the ACC is carrying out a business in the state of Florida is the strongest argument it made.

Judge Cooper says he believes that the ACC's affidavit admits that the conference is doing business in Florida by "conducting and producing sports events originating from FSU and Miami home games." He said it authorizes ESPN and other networks to broadcast, and the ACC makes revenue from the broadcasts which qualifies it as a business.

He continued by saying he hasn't seen the percentages of what revenue is paid to member schools in the revenue-sharing plan. Judge Cooper said you don't have to have an office or agency in the state of Florida to be a business, citing the ACC's broadcasting of FSU and Miami home games as 'business.'

There is another motion to dismiss to be discussed.

Ouch. If the ruling sticks, then FSU could argue that all the revenue generated by FSU games in FL are in play. Since we know ratings aren’t equal between ACC schools, FL revenue is probably roughly 1/3 of ACC football revenue.

Of course, that ruling could also spiral into the ACC having to pay taxes in every ACC state, which would have it’s own problems.

How does the ACC’s contract with member schools not have a governing law clause? And if it doesn’t, then what other basics are missing from this “iron clad” agreement? Where is @BuzzLaw

How does the ACC’s contract with member schools not have a governing law clause? And if it doesn’t, then what other basics are missing from this “iron clad” agreement? Where is @BuzzLaw
I haven’t seen the contract. A lot of these were done before people even thought about exit strategies. What if the SEC wants to kick out Vandy? I don’t know if there’s a contract clause in place for that.

However, if the Grant of Rights doesn’t have a clause about what law governs, then the ACC is dumber than we thought

I hope President Cabrera is doing a lot of behind the scenes work to try to get Tech a good landing spot when the ACC collapses. It is embarrassing for Tech to be in a conference that the members we care the most about are suing to leave. I wish FSU had just joined the SEC when they joined the ACC. All they have ever done is complain and act like they were better than everybody else. The ACC was a nice little conference when we joined, Md, Va, WF, NCS, Duke, NC, Clemson and Tech. It's too bad it changed. Expansion has hurt the ACC more than it helped, in my opinion. Go Jackets!

I haven’t seen the contract. A lot of these were done before people even thought about exit strategies. What if the SEC wants to kick out Vandy? I don’t know if there’s a contract clause in place for that.

However, if the Grant of Rights doesn’t have a clause about what law governs, then the ACC is dumber than we thought
The ACC would have a very hard time being dumber than I thought.

I hope President Cabrera is doing a lot of behind the scenes work to try to get Tech a good landing spot when the ACC collapses. It is embarrassing for Tech to be in a conference that the members we care the most about are suing to leave. I wish FSU had just joined the SEC when they joined the ACC. All they have ever done is complain and act like they were better than everybody else. The ACC was a nice little conference when we joined, Md, Va, WF, NCS, Duke, NC, Clemson and Tech. It's too bad it changed. Expansion has hurt the ACC more than it helped, in my opinion. Go Jackets!
FSU gave us some good wins!
Don't wanna give back. Glad they were in the league

I hope President Cabrera is doing a lot of behind the scenes work to try to get Tech a good landing spot when the ACC collapses. It is embarrassing for Tech to be in a conference that the members we care the most about are suing to lethey wave. I wish FSU had just joined the SEC when they joined the ACC. All they have ever done is complain and act like they were better than everybody else. The ACC was a nice little conference when we joined, Md, Va, WF, NCS, Duke, NC, Clemson and Tech. It's too bad it changed. Expansion has hurt the ACC more than it helped, in my opinion. Go Jackets!
Hopefully he is lobbying his contacts in the Big 10 emphasizing that Atlanta would be a strategic location and that we would fit in academically. The SEC has demonstrated they will never readmit us.

Back