Expansion Rumors…

IMG_4157.gif

Yeah SMU gonna make us all look like chumps for opening the door to them. Prediction: they’ll make the playoff by 2028.
IIRC, SMU has a group of about 6 or 7 billionaires that make stuff like this happen. I wouldn't be surprised to see Texas Longhorn quality recruits there soon. SMU understood the NIL 40 years ago.

IIRC, SMU has a group of about 6 or 7 billionaires that make stuff like this happen. I wouldn't be surprised to see Texas Longhorn quality recruits there soon. SMU understood the NIL 40 years ago.

Texas A&M has more Fortune 100 or 500 CEOs than any other school with 4 (topping U of Michigan and Penn State), but Texas still has more billionaire albums than A&M.

In the ACC, Stanford, Cal, and Duke are in the top 20 of most billionaire undergrad alums schools.

If the number of billionaire alumni guaranteed success in college football, then the polls would look more like this:

1. University of Pennsylvania (25 billionaire undergrad alums)
2. Harvard (22)
3. Yale (20)
4. USC (16)
5. Princeton (14)
6. Cornell (14)
7. Stanford (14)
8. Cal Berkeley (12)
9. Texas (10)
10. Dartmouth (10)
11. Michigan (10)
12. NYU (9)
13. Duke (9)
14. Columbia (9)
15. Brown (8)
16. MIT (7)

The rest of the top20 were in India, Russia, UK, and Switzerland

Regarding A&M:

If the number of billionaire alumni guaranteed success in college football, then the polls would look more like this:

2. Harvard (22)
3. Yale (20)
4. USC (16)
5. Princeton (14)
6. Cornell (14)
7. Stanford (14)
8. Cal Berkeley (12)
9. Texas (10)
10. Dartmouth (10)
11. Michigan (10)
12. NYU (9)
13. Duke (9)
14. Columbia (9)
15. Brown (8)
16. MIT (7)

Regarding A&M:
It’s not what the top 25 currently look like. That’s not the game. The game is what it could look like if schools simply choose to do it. If these schools in your list decided to become powerhouses in football they could easily replace the current group at the top because with the demise of the NCAA, that was bought and paid for by the current power schools, this new system is now open to any school - which I love. The days of Bama or UGA buying players under the table while schools like SMU and GT are put on probation are OVER. If the IVY league changed their internal league rules and bought every 5 star it wouldn’t take long for ESPN or FOX or NBC to come running. We saw TV run to Jackson State when Deion signed a handful of studs. I had never watched 1 HBCU game and I probably watched 4-5 while Deion was there - and that was a very poor school in the backwoods of Mississippi. Now imagine, Penn, Harvard, and Princeton with 35 plus 4 and 5 star players from Florida, Georgia, and Texas. The IVY league would become D1 quickly and TV would be all over them. These mega fan teams would be dwarfed by the deep money. This is why I love this new era of college football - it’s an open process now since the enforcement branch of the NCAA which was used as the “gestapo” by the big schools is gone.

It’s not what the top 25 currently look like. That’s not the game. The game is what it could look like if schools simply choose to do it. If these schools in your list decided to become powerhouses in football they could easily replace the current group at the top because with the demise of the NCAA, that was bought and paid for by the current power schools, this new system is now open to any school - which I love. The days of Bama or UGA buying players under the table while schools like SMU and GT are put on probation are OVER. If the IVY league changed their internal league rules and bought every 5 star it wouldn’t take long for ESPN or FOX or NBC to come running. We saw TV run to Jackson State when Deion signed a handful of studs. I had never watched 1 HBCU game and I probably watched 4-5 while Deion was there - and that was a very poor school in the backwoods of Mississippi. Now imagine, Penn, Harvard, and Princeton with 35 plus 4 and 5 star players from Florida, Georgia, and Texas. The IVY league would become D1 quickly and TV would be all over them. These mega fan teams would be dwarfed by the deep money. This is why I love this new era of college football - it’s an open process now since the enforcement branch of the NCAA which was used as the “gestapo” by the big schools is gone.
This is not exactly true. There is zero chance in hell Harvard, Yale, Duke, Stanford, Cal, etc will EVER come close to Alabama, tOSU, Texas, Michigan, Clemson, etc. Reason? Alums and sidewalk fans are 50x the amount of the other schools.

While the NCAA is losing power more and more by the day, the garbage known as APR has remained in place for the time being. The next factor will be, will schools like Stanford, Cal, etc, even GT for example acknowledge the change to CFB and CBB realizing 60+% of the SA’s going forward who sign with GT won’t finish at GT? This would allow for lower academic requirements for SA’s.

The next issue will be the $$$ collective. The non factories will at least need to be in the ballpark $$$ wise in order to land the 5* over a factory school. A cap system needs to be implemented when the dust settles.

Next few years will be interesting as the NCAA is removed and some form of P4 commission is in place.

Sure bu
Texas A&M has more Fortune 100 or 500 CEOs than any other school with 4 (topping U of Michigan and Penn State), but Texas still has more billionaire albums than A&M.

In the ACC, Stanford, Cal, and Duke are in the top 20 of most billionaire undergrad alums schools.

2. Harvard (22)
3. Yale (20)
4. USC (16)
5. Princeton (14)
6. Cornell (14)
7. Stanford (14)
8. Cal Berkeley (12)
9. Texas (10)
10. Dartmouth (10)
11. Michigan (10)
12. NYU (9)
13. Duke (9)
14. Columbia (9)
15. Brown (8)
16. MIT (7)

Regarding A&M:
Maybe that’s true but now do the rankings of frugal salarymen who root for bad athletic programs in second tier conferences.

This is not exactly true. There is zero chance in hell Harvard, Yale, Duke, Stanford, Cal, etc will EVER come close to Alabama, tOSU, Texas, Michigan, Clemson, etc. Reason? Alums and sidewalk fans are 50x the amount of the other schools.

While the NCAA is losing power more and more by the day, the garbage known as APR has remained in place for the time being. The next factor will be, will schools like Stanford, Cal, etc, even GT for example acknowledge the change to CFB and CBB realizing 60+% of the SA’s going forward who sign with GT won’t finish at GT? This would allow for lower academic requirements for SA’s.

The next issue will be the $$$ collective. The non factories will at least need to be in the ballpark $$$ wise in order to land the 5* over a factory school. A cap system needs to be implemented when the dust settles.

Next few years will be interesting as the NCAA is removed and some form of P4 commission is in place.
I simply disagree. A few alum from Harvard and others could stroke a check that equals whatever Bama or UGA raises from their moron Wal-Mart fans. That’s simply how deep money works. So far, they haven’t done that and I doubt they will. What do those schools get out of football when they are already household names? But, my point is at least today any school has a path to a top tier program because you can buy elite players and elite coaches in an open system. We’ve never had an open market before because the NCAA put their thumb on the market via penalties. They literally killed SMU football because Meyer had the balls to do what Nebraska, Oklahoma, Bama, and others were doing in those days. The NCAA killed them but allowed the powers to keep going. We will see some schools step up over the next decade and use this system and their money to become a new power. SMU may very well be on their way. You notice the biggest whiners are the big boys who now realize their little Burger King bags of cash don’t bring the studs like they use to.

As for APR, no one cares and no one will enforce it. This is the first time anyone has mentioned APR in 5 years. It’s a non-factor and will be gone at the first challenge if the NCAA tries to enforce any sanction.

And I want no part of any cap system. It will just be abused and teams will simply hit the cap and then fill Burger King bags of cash under the table to go over. The market will police itself because schools and collectives will get fleeced by these players. I remember a guy like Trenton Thompson who was the #1 high school player in the country from my area. Signed with UGA and never started cause he got fat and had zero work ethic. UGA would have had to pay him millions to sign today which would have been dead money. Remember, the first million dollar man, Quinn Ewers at Ohio State. He took the money and never played a down for them. The market will adjust when everyone realizes the players aren’t worth it.

It just takes one, imagine $1B in a 6% annuity, that could theoretically provide around $85M/yr for the next 20 years.

A cap system is required of any sport in the long term that is played at a high level. The last sport to try no caps was Formula 1. It cost them almost half their viewership and bankrupted several long time smaller teams.

The problem is to get a cap you must get an anti-trust exemption. It's literally an act of Congress to put the absolute most foundational of stopgaps in place. And I can think of a few state delegations (TX, FL, GA, OH, MI, TN) that would be hostile to this for short sighted political and athletic gain.

It just takes one, imagine $1B in a 6% annuity, that could theoretically provide around $85M/yr for the next 20 years.
That is probably why GT has no billionaires. Almost all billionaires would be looking for ways to turn the $1B into $2, 3, 4, 5B instead of just maintaining it.

That is probably why GT has no billionaires. Almost all billionaires would be looking for ways to turn the $1B into $2, 3, 4, 5B instead of just maintaining it.
Or just hanging onto it with their Howard Hughes style uncut fingernails and graying skin in their middle class home because they need that one more penny before taking their eternal dirt nap. Cheap GT bastards..

Right most do, just takes one though, T Boone would have the cowboys in the playoffs every year if he were still alive, and the mustangs will probably get there shortly

I simply disagree. A few alum from Harvard and others could stroke a check that equals whatever Bama or UGA raises from their moron Wal-Mart fans. That’s simply how deep money works. So far, they haven’t done that and I doubt they will. What do those schools get out of football when they are already household names? But, my point is at least today any school has a path to a top tier program because you can buy elite players and elite coaches in an open system. We’ve never had an open market before because the NCAA put their thumb on the market via penalties. They literally killed SMU football because Meyer had the balls to do what Nebraska, Oklahoma, Bama, and others were doing in those days. The NCAA killed them but allowed the powers to keep going. We will see some schools step up over the next decade and use this system and their money to become a new power. SMU may very well be on their way. You notice the biggest whiners are the big boys who now realize their little Burger King bags of cash don’t bring the studs like they use to.

As for APR, no one cares and no one will enforce it. This is the first time anyone has mentioned APR in 5 years. It’s a non-factor and will be gone at the first challenge if the NCAA tries to enforce any sanction.

And I want no part of any cap system. It will just be abused and teams will simply hit the cap and then fill Burger King bags of cash under the table to go over. The market will police itself because schools and collectives will get fleeced by these players. I remember a guy like Trenton Thompson who was the #1 high school player in the country from my area. Signed with UGA and never started cause he got fat and had zero work ethic. UGA would have had to pay him millions to sign today which would have been dead money. Remember, the first million dollar man, Quinn Ewers at Ohio State. He took the money and never played a down for them. The market will adjust when everyone realizes the players aren’t worth it.
Absolutely zero chance a program like Harvard, Yale, Duke, Stanford, NW <fill in team here>, etc could ever come close to the top level of P4 programs. Sorry, but they can have whatever billionaire they want funneling $$$ into the programs, those programs do not have the alumni base nor sidewalk fanbase to compete as a Top 12 annual CFP program. The numbers alone funneling in $$$ to tOSU, Texas, etc are staggering. Harvard for example has a 30k stadium. Let’s compare that to Michigan, Tennessee, Alabama, Texas, etc 100k+. We both agree, reality is, a vast majority of those mentioned and not mentioned will ever get some T Boone Pickens financially back them anyway.

When SA’s become employees of the school with 1,2,3,4 year contracts signed, there will be a “salary cap” implemented to keep the game supposedly “fair” for all involved at the P4 level. That’s clearly the next step in this move towards officially being the NFL minor league. Look at what has gone on and continually evolving into. P4 football is paralleling the evolution of the AFL, NFL merging into just the NFL. The only hope I have is, CFB can keep the P4 and not just go to the B1G / sec, like the AFC / NFC.

No argument on APR from me. I’ve been arguing against this bogus BS the NCAA implemented since its inception. But for now it’s still a bogus data point schools must comply with to remain eligible. Here is the real question though. Once the dust settles and APR is removed, will the GT’s and Stanford’s of the world completely bring down the academic requirements wall? The real answer should be “yes”, but I think we all know, the academic schools will not lax the rules entirely for SA’s. But both schools mentioned, need to really drop the SA requirements by 75% of what they are today to truly compete in the new era of P4 CFB.

Absolutely zero chance a program like Harvard, Yale, Duke, Stanford, NW <fill in team here>, etc could ever come close to the top level of P4 programs. Sorry, but they can have whatever billionaire they want funneling $$$ into the programs, those programs do not have the alumni base nor sidewalk fanbase to compete as a Top 12 annual CFP program. The numbers alone funneling in $$$ to tOSU, Texas, etc are staggering. Harvard for example has a 30k stadium. Let’s compare that to Michigan, Tennessee, Alabama, Texas, etc 100k+. We both agree, reality is, a vast majority of those mentioned and not mentioned will ever get some T Boone Pickens financially back them anyway.

When SA’s become employees of the school with 1,2,3,4 year contracts signed, there will be a “salary cap” implemented to keep the game supposedly “fair” for all involved at the P4 level. That’s clearly the next step in this move towards officially being the NFL minor league. Look at what has gone on and continually evolving into. P4 football is paralleling the evolution of the AFL, NFL merging into just the NFL. The only hope I have is, CFB can keep the P4 and not just go to the B1G / sec, like the AFC / NFC.

No argument on APR from me. I’ve been arguing against this bogus BS the NCAA implemented since its inception. But for now it’s still a bogus data point schools must comply with to remain eligible. Here is the real question though. Once the dust settles and APR is removed, will the GT’s and Stanford’s of the world completely bring down the academic requirements wall? The real answer should be “yes”, but I think we all know, the academic schools will not lax the rules entirely for SA’s. But both schools mentioned, need to really drop the SA requirements by 75% of what they are today to truly compete in the new era of P4 CFB.
I'm sorry, I have to fundamentally disagree here. Let's just talk Clemson for a moment. Now, I can't stand Clemson as much as the next guy, but they won 2 titles and went 2 out of 3 against Nick Saban and Alabama to do it. They didn't do it with a monsterous alumni base, and they definitely didn't do it with billionaires. You can say what you want about Dabo now, but he did it the old fashioned way. It can still be done that way.

Back